Sign in to follow this  
Guest TimS

FSX ran out of memory

Guest TimS
I just got that out of memory error in FSX after modifying the panel of an Aerosoft Super Cub that is an FS9 model. It was compatible in every way except for the prop.bmp which I copied from the default J3 Cub and solved the issue. There were a couple of gauges that were distorted on the panel so I re-did the panel with FSPanel which included various gauges from the FSX gauges folder. After that I get the memory error, but just when trying to use the Super Cub, no problem with other planes. I must have added a gauge that is somehow incompatible giving me the error. I have Vista 64 with 6 gigs of ram and an Nvidia GTX9800+ and running Acceleration with FSX. I don't think memory is really the problem. I'll just have to determine which gauge is giving the Super Cub fits :)TimS... are you getting this error with any aircraft or just a particular one?
I am getting my error right at startup after I installed traffic x and I am right now reinstalling fsx Tim

Guest TimS

OK I finished reinstalling fsx (that was very long) but the odd thing is that when I reinstalled all of my add ons was there I did deleted it so yeah I dont know how it did that however it did and I am still getting OOM message so any other ideas PPLLEEAASSEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I finished reinstalling fsx (that was very long) but the odd thing is that when I reinstalled all of my add ons was there I did deleted it so yeah I dont know how it did that however it did and I am still getting OOM message so any other ideas PPLLEEAASSEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tim, are you saying that when you reinstalled FSX all the addons were still there from your prior install?If so, then you didn't uninstall them correctly. I saw in an above post that you try copying folders back from the last install and you said you deleted the addons. You can't deleted addons, you need to uninstall them. To actually uninstall the addons you can't just delete the folders, you need to run the uninstaller for the addons before you uninstall FSX. If you can't locate the unistallers for the addons you may be able to uninstall them by looking in the control panel under the add or remove programs tab. Once they are all uninstalled the proper way then you can uninstall FSX.For example, say you have FSX w/SP2, UT USA, a few addon planes, and some addon airports. You should find the uninstallers for all the addons and run the uninstallers, then uninstall SP2, then uninstall FSX. Then if I were you I would run a registry cleaner to make sure all the reminants in the registry are gone. Then start installing EVERYTHING from scratch not by copying and pasting any folders of the last install. Use NickN's install guide to do the fresh install properly or use a pay service like FS-GS to get you set up since you are having a lot of problems. I couldn't tell by the posts above if you ever did a fresh install of your operating system, but if you didn't and you do a fresh install of FSX the proper way and you are still having problems them maybe you need to go ahead and do a fresh install of the operating system followed by FSX. If you are still having problems with that then there could be an issue with the actuall computer itself or something with the drivers that your using, or the drivers aren't set up properly.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest TimS
Tim, are you saying that when you reinstalled FSX all the addons were still there from your prior install?If so, then you didn't uninstall them correctly. I saw in an above post that you try copying folders back from the last install and you said you deleted the addons. You can't deleted addons, you need to uninstall them. To actually uninstall the addons you can't just delete the folders, you need to run the uninstaller for the addons before you uninstall FSX. If you can't locate the unistallers for the addons you may be able to uninstall them by looking in the control panel under the add or remove programs tab. Once they are all uninstalled the proper way then you can uninstall FSX.For example, say you have FSX w/SP2, UT USA, a few addon planes, and some addon airports. You should find the uninstallers for all the addons and run the uninstallers, then uninstall SP2, then uninstall FSX. Then if I were you I would run a registry cleaner to make sure all the reminants in the registry are gone. Then start installing EVERYTHING from scratch not by copying and pasting any folders of the last install. Use NickN's install guide to do the fresh install properly or use a pay service like FS-GS to get you set up since you are having a lot of problems. I couldn't tell by the posts above if you ever did a fresh install of your operating system, but if you didn't and you do a fresh install of FSX the proper way and you are still having problems them maybe you need to go ahead and do a fresh install of the operating system followed by FSX. If you are still having problems with that then there could be an issue with the actuall computer itself or something with the drivers that your using, or the drivers aren't set up properly.
well I cant do clean reinstall of vista for actually multiple reasons how ever I will follow your advice with uninstalling add ons and then fsx and do clean reinstall. Oh and allso can anybody suggest the order I should install my add ons in:*tile proxyfspassengersfscopilotPMDG 747**fsrecorder*ultimate traffic*I deleted those because of OOM error but I would still like to have these**I dont really use them so it would be nice to have but I dont really care whether I have them or notThanks, Tim

Use this from NickN as a guide below copied from http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041 . If you go to the link there are pictures as well that go to the post that I copied. If you follow this and still have problems then it could be due to one of your addons, your operating system, a driver, or one the the computers components. After FSX in fully installed do your UTX and other addon sceneries then the planes.NOTE: IF I DID NOT POST A TWEAK IN THIS THREAD THEN MORE THAN LIKELY THE TWEAK IS FALSE, PRESENTS PLACEBO RESULTS OR MAY RESULT IN POORER VISUAL QUALITY and PERFORMANCE. THERE ARE TWEAKS THAT ARE ONLY GOOD FOR THE DVD RELEASE VERSION OF FSX AND WITH SP1/SP2 THOSE TWEAKS ARE USELESS.. THOSE OLD TWEAKS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS LIST. There is a change/edit log at the bottom of this thread which will show the date and subject of change. Please refer to it when you may revist this list to be sure you have the most up to date infomation. What I have posted in FSX tuning is to get people in the RIGHT ballpark so they can tune their system in with a good methodology in starting off. There can be differences and there can be some variations but for the most part what I posted should get most systems tuned correctly.Your Mileage May Vary SETTING UP FSX and HOW TO TUNE IT This information is a complete guide to installing, setting up and tuning FSX. It will cover everything you need to know about how to get the most out of your simulator. DO NOTE: The results good or bad depend on the type and condition of your hardware, your ability to run a clean, spyware, virus and reasonable amount of boot programs in your OS, and, your ability to maintain good maintenance on your system And please excuse typos in this.. I put this together very fast Anyone is welcome to use (without duplication) the information in this thread and supporting links however like anything else you read, you use this information at your own risk. F1 nor myself is responsible for anything that may go wrong. FSX INSTALLATIONIt is VERY important that you heed this install method. You can not install FSX patches back to back without first booting FSX and its default flight, then close the sim, reboot the computer and install the next patch. To install FSX from the DVD and not follow this list may result in performace issues, scenery issues and errors NOTE: If you are not having any problems with FSX you can not seem to lock down and did not follow the correct method of install you do not need to reinstall FSX however DO keep this list in mind should you ever find yourself in a position where you are reinstalling the software and use it. 1. Install form the DVD, fire up the sim and let it complete the install and then boot the default flight.2. Close the simIf you have the Deluxe version and want the SDK installed, install it off the DVD now.3. Reboot the computer4. Install Acceleration which will install SP2 automatically. Boot the sim and allow it to complete the install and boot the default flight. 5. Close the simIf you want the Acceleration SDK install it from the disk.6. Reboot the computerMake sure you have the latest DirectX UPDATE installed.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=enMake sure you have the C++ library update installed.You can download the stand alone library updates from Microsoft which upgrade the one installed with Acceleration http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en The C++ Library update is ineeded for some 3rd party support and is installed with Acceleration. The links above are to the Library SP1 update which did not ship with AccelI suggest you install the update regardless of what version of FSX you run to be sure you are covered as you may add items to your sim over time. It will NOT change performanceYou can activate FSX now at anytime8. Start the sim, set up the sliders/checkboxes as you had them. Close the sim9. Install your addons one at a time, reboot in between and make sure you have the updates for them.DO NOT MIGRATE or use a old FSX.cfg file!Use it to copy/paste edits but do not overwrite the new file. Acceleration takes care of both SP1 and SP2 in one shotIf installing for a 'non' Acceleration with SP2 its the same process except:After you complete STEP 1, 2 and 3 above, replace STEP 4 with: Install SP1, boot the sim default flight, close and reboot the computer Install SP2, boot the sim default flight, close and reboot the computer USING MORE/LESS or EQUAL to 2GIGS OF SYSTEM MEMORY IN WINDOWS XP x32 OR VISTA X32 with OOM-OR-HOW TO PROPERLY TUNE VIRTUAL ADDRESS SPACE IN WINDOWS (x32) FOR OUT OF MEMORY ERRORS x64 operating systems do not need the following changes BE ADVISED OUT OF MEMORY ERRORS CAN ALSO DISPLAY GRAPHIC ERRORS IN FSX ON THE SCREEN WITHOUT ANY SYSTEM ERROR MESSAGE. SEE THIS THREAD FOR DETAILS: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1233114601YOU MAY NEED TO TUNE THE AMOUNT SET FOR ADDRESS SPACE AS DESCRIBED BELOW IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS WITH THE SETTING OF 2560 PLEASE NOTE: This section is for anyone who sees out of memory error while using FSX. It applies to ALL circumstances.To clear up confusion about this change.. the amount reserved for the cache is NOT and DOES NOT have anything to do with the amount of memory in the system or how much memory you are allowing access to the system!!This change only tweaks the address space, relieving the OOM error. The 32bit system will use the physical memory installed up to 4GB regardless! ONLY FSX SP2 HAS THE ABILITY TO ADDRESS MORE THAN 2GB OF SYSTEM MEMORY. THE DVD AND SP1 VERSIONS CAN ADDRESS MORE THAN 2GB HOWEVER IT REQUIRES MANUAL EDITING OF THE DVD OR SP1 FSX.EXE FILE USING SPECIAL SOFTWARE WHICH WILL ALLOW >2GB SUPPORT.The method of removing out of memory and other errors on a 32bit Operating system and allow fsx access to memory amounts greater than 2GB is listed here:For XP:disable hidden files and folder, then on the root C:\ you will find a file named: boot.ini Open it in notepad and add the follwoing to the end of the OS boot line: /3GB/Userva=2560 EXAMPLE LINE EDIT:multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professsional" /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2560 <---- add it heresave and close the filerebootto set that back to default, simply remove the editIf you are using XP SP2 and are running a dual, quad, OR a single core Intel HYPERTHREAD processor, make sure this update is appliedhttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=enXP SP3 users do not need that updateFor Vista:WINDOWS VISTA ONLY: 1. Open a command prompt with Administration rights. You find the command prompt box under "Programs-Accessories-Command prompt" 2. Right Click the command prompt and select "run as administrator". 3. Enter in the box at the prompt: (copy/paste if you wish) bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560 and press enter 4. Reboot TO set that back to default in VISTA just start the command line prompt with Admin right again and type: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048 Hit enter and reboot NOTE: It is possible you may need to TUNE this value if out of memory errors still display, especially with large video memory video cards (640mb and above)If you sill see OOM errors, do the following:Depending on your OS follow the directions above about editing the system for the cache value. What you will do is LOWER the value edited to the system originally. The amount should be DROPPED in lots of 64. EXAMPLE: Original Edit = 2560LOWER this to 2496, reboot and retest. If OOM still appearsLOWER the edit to 2432, reboot and retest. If OOM still appearsLOWER the edit to 2368, reboot and retest. If OOM still appearsLOWER the edit to 2304, reboot and retest. If OOM still appears, one of 2 problems are possible1. There is a addon in FSX which is not made correctly or has an error in it forcing the OOM.2. Your system (motherboard) simply does not play well with this edit and possibly more than 2GB in the system. The solution to #1 is to locate the addon causing the error through a process of elimination. See if you can ID what addon be it aircraft or scenery may be in use with the error appears and eliminate them as possibilites. The solution to #2 when the memory and the motherboard memory slots are confirmed as correct in use is switch to a 64bit (x64) OS (Vista or XP) which I suggest eveyone use anyway for FSX ABOUT ADDING MEMORY TO A SYSTEM FSX will run better on greater than 2gigs of memory in a 32 or 64bit OS and you should select the right memory to do the job based on your systemDo note that some motherboards do not play well with more than 2GB of system memory and a 32bit OS.As for adding memory.. this is one you MUST be careful withTypically when you add memory your motherboard will automatically try to DOWNCLOCK the memory and RAISE its timing. This is true of going from one stick to two, two sticks to three, etcHOWEVERThere is such a thing a DUAL CHANNEL memory operation which kicks in when you installed a MATCH SET of memory sticks. (2 or 4)When ever you consider a memory upgrade you should try to follow this guideline:NOTE: This is NOT for the new i7 systems or newer DDR3!1. NEVER install more than 2 sticks of memory, be them 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 unless you need the system for engineering purposes and are running a 64bit OS (you will lose performace for >4GB)2. Always check to be sure you are running the highest memory SPEED your system will allow with the clock and processor you are using. This means if you motherboard will support and run higher memory speeds with the processor clocked, or not clocked such as Nvidia, the highest speed with the lowest timing is the best choice. If you do not wish to overclock the system at all, or, your motherboard will not support faster memory speeds then you do not need memory that exceeds FSB/2 of the processor. In example, if your processor is a 1333 QDR FSB processor then your un-clocked memory speed should be 1333/2 or DDR2-667 which has a dram frequency of 333.5MHzBut do be aware with FSX memory speeds of 266 (DDR2 533) and 333 (DDR2 667) are slow. You should strive for at the very least 400Mhz (DDR2 800) with a timing of 4-4-4, no higher on the DDR2 800 timing. In reality the days of DDR2 are coming to an end so if you intend to build a new system I highly suggest you skip DDR2 and build a Intel i7 940 running 3x2GB of DDR3 1600 and plan on clocking it.Make sure you understand how your motherboard works and if it supports higher memory speeds, use them. CPU and memory clocking in FSX is practically a prerequisite if you wish to obtain high scenery and visual goals3. Always purchase the LOWEST timing memory possible for the memory speed you wish to purchase in the amount you wish to purchase4. Always purchase the memory in SETS and never singles OVERCLOCKERS: When you purchase memory you should follow the same basic guidelines however you MUST calculate the memory speed you need to purchase based on your clock. That calculation is based on the CPU speed you will run, what FSB it will take to run it, the CPU STRAP setting and finally what the BIOS will allow in memory speed at clocked settings.In example, if you wish to clock a Q9650 to 3.6-4GHz you want your memory to run as fast as possible. In the case of DDR2 that would be DDR2 1066 (or higher). The same guideline for purchasing memory is followed. The LOWEST timing at the speed you wish to run is how it is selected but you should always purchase 2x1 or 2x2GB product.With 1st Generation DDR3 (not i7) an example of a good CPU and memory system for FSX would be a Q9650 running a 400MHz FSB (3.6GHz) @ DDR3 1600 (2x2GB) and 7-7-7 timing. That processor can run 4GHz if the user runs FSB at 450 but the memory must then be DDR3 1800 to match the speed in relation to FSB/STRAP. In a overclock one must know how to calculate their memory for clock needs.If a system is to be used for engineering or other which requires higher memory amounts than 4GB you MUST be using a 64bit (x64) OS. Windows (XP or VISTA) x32 CAN NOT USE more than 4GB.When purchasing more than 4GB, the same guidelines apply from above however you will need to purchase MORE than 2 sticks. Be aware that WILL MEAN timing and speed will most likely be affected and you do want to purchase 4 matched sticks (4x2GB) not 2x2GB + 2x1GB for dual channel operation. Some motherboards will allow dual channel operation with mismached memory installed, some will not. Some motherboards will run lower timing and higher speeds with all 4 memory slots populated however many will NOT. You must research your motherboard and memory to decide what is best for your needs when running >2 or >4GBHowever., If you are building or upgrading a gaming rig DO NOT RUN more than 4GB for best performance in x32 OR x64! (i7 excluded) Intel i7 - YOU CAN run more than 4GB without the performance loss and the same applies to the timing/speed as I posted above except you are working with TRI CHANNEL instead of DUAL. With i7 unclocked you want 3x1 or (prefered)3x2 DDR3 1333 memory on the LOWEST timing possible. When clocking - 3x2GB DDR3 1600 to DDR3 2000NOTE: WITH i7 YOU MUST PURCHASE MEMORY DESIGNED FOR i7 IN TRI-CHANNEL KITS RATED AT NO MORE THAN 1.65V FSX is a 32bit application and as such even when run in a 64bit operating system memory amounts greater than 4GB will be of little use to FSX directly, however, when applied with a 64bit OS and i7 FSX SP2 (or RTM/SP1 with edited fsx.exe files) will be allowed access to a full 4GB with other processes and applications running along side having access to more (over and above). Therefore 6GB (3x2GB) i7 systems as addons and aircraft become more complicated will benefit FSX on a 64bit OS. If you switch to i7 you are far better off on 3x2GB than 3x1GB in system memory. With i7 (which is 2nd Generation DDR3) greater memory amounts (over 4GB) do not hit the performance of a system like >4GB in DDR2 and 1st generation DDR3. SAMPLES OF MEMORY SPEED/TIMING Here is a list of MAX memory timing per speed a user should strive for.. lower than posted is better and there are memory product out there that run lower timing than posted.. they are typically expensive and that is what you pay for DDR2 800 4-4-4DDR2 1066 5-5-5DDR3 1333 6-6-6 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1600 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1800/1866 8-8-8 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 2000 (and up) 9-9-9 (1st or 2nd Generation) That being said here are the values a user SHOULD look for in order to obtain highest FSX performance with respect to CPU/Memory communicationDDR2 800 3-3-3DDR2 1066 4-4-4DDR3 1333 5-5-5 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1600 6-6-6 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1800/1866 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation) Note: 1800/1866 is really useless compared to 1600 with respect to the right memory timing. If a user wishes to run very high memory speed, opt for 2000 with tighter timing especially running i7. 1st generation DDR3 has issues with the northbridge running large amounts of memory (2x2GB or more). i7 D0 stepping processors and the x58 chipset do not have those issues. DDR3 2000 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation) 8-8-8 can be used however 7-7-7 is FAR better. ======================= MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR CRITICAL WINDOWS UPDATES AS SEVERAL OF THEM DO ADDRESS MEMORY AND PERFORMANCE ISSUES You are now ready to make your FSX.cfg edits and TUNE FSX What I have posted in FSX tuning is to get people in the RIGHT ballpark so they can tune their system in with a good methodology in starting off. There can be differences and there can be some variations but for the most part what I posted should get most systems tuned correctly.Your Mileage May Vary But do try to follow along without adding in any tweaks off the net. Try this and then after should you find what you had ran better, simply restore your FSX.cfg file PLEASE BACK UP YOUR CURRENT FSX.CFG SO YOU MAY RESTORE QUICKLY The FSX.cfg file and how I set up a systemIf you do not know where the FSX.cfg file is:NOTE: You must have HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS disabled in WindowsXPC:\Documents and Settings\YOUR ACCOUNT NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfgVISTAC:\Users\YOUR ACCOUNT NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG Right click the FSX.cfg file, select OPEN WITH and in the box that appears select NOTEPAD. You may opt to 'ALWAYS USE THIS PROGRAM TO OPEN THIS FILE TYPE From that point on it will open by double clicking the file.NOTE: IN VISTA editing the file may require ADMIN RIGHTS. Right click the file and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR or DISABLE UAC in VISTA to get rid of such nags. As for FSX.cfg edits.. these are the only ones I use:TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=XX I use 70 to 80 depending on the systemNOTE: I have never set up a system that I did not use either 70 or 80 for TBM. This setting is always changed before I tune the system however I may drop or raise it while tuning to find which one works better (70 or 80)IMPORTANT: This setting IS NOT THE SAME AS FS9! The amount of data being tasked is MASSIVE compared to FS9. DO NOT SET THIS TO 400! SETTING THIS TO 400 IS A MYTH IN FSX!Even the best quads and cards should only run between 70 and 90However I HAVE seen a few older systems use 100 with good results.. I would not run 100 or higher on modern systems which are pushing higher autogen and sceneryIf you set that to 400 you will NOT be able to tune the system correctly as I have specified below. 70 to 80 should get you in the ballpark and most will run 70WideViewAspect=True Because I use a widescreen monitor. If you do not use a widescreen monitor that should be set to FALSEDisablePreload=1 Which disables FSX from loading the default flight when FSX is first launchedUnless you fly the same extact flight over and over every time you boot the sim (DAY-DATE-TIME-WEATHER-HUB all the same), setting this to 1 offloads the memory from preloading that flight when FSX boots. Bufferpools: Poolsize=xxxxx Which is the bufferpool reserved video memory for scenery geometry around the aircraft. 512 cards really cant make much use of it and should never reserve more than 15MB, 640 cards 35MB and 768 cards 70-80MB. 1GB cards can reserve more.Many find leaving this edit out of the config is the best way to run. You must experiment with this setting to see if it will or will not help.640MB and above cards CAN take advantage of Bufferpools however do be careful with this edit.Bufferpools added to the fsx.cfg file can cause scenery 'spikes' even if the card has enough video memory. This edit to the configuration file works for some and does not work for others. If you see strange graphics errors that do not clear up by visually panning around the outside of the aircraft then you should REMOVE the bufferpool entry from your config file. Do note that with SP2 for FSX running high sliders depending on the drivers may bring on visual graphic 'spikes' from autogen when a flight is first loaded. If visually panning around the aircraft does not clear them, the bufferpool entry should be reduced or removed completely. NEW:SOUND CRACKING AND DISTORTION

Guest TimS
Use this from NickN as a guide below copied from http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041 . If you go to the link there are pictures as well that go to the post that I copied. If you follow this and still have problems then it could be due to one of your addons, your operating system, a driver, or one the the computers components. After FSX in fully installed do your UTX and other addon sceneries then the planes.NOTE: IF I DID NOT POST A TWEAK IN THIS THREAD THEN MORE THAN LIKELY THE TWEAK IS FALSE, PRESENTS PLACEBO RESULTS OR MAY RESULT IN POORER VISUAL QUALITY and PERFORMANCE. THERE ARE TWEAKS THAT ARE ONLY GOOD FOR THE DVD RELEASE VERSION OF FSX AND WITH SP1/SP2 THOSE TWEAKS ARE USELESS.. THOSE OLD TWEAKS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS LIST. There is a change/edit log at the bottom of this thread which will show the date and subject of change. Please refer to it when you may revist this list to be sure you have the most up to date infomation. What I have posted in FSX tuning is to get people in the RIGHT ballpark so they can tune their system in with a good methodology in starting off. There can be differences and there can be some variations but for the most part what I posted should get most systems tuned correctly.Your Mileage May Vary SETTING UP FSX and HOW TO TUNE IT This information is a complete guide to installing, setting up and tuning FSX. It will cover everything you need to know about how to get the most out of your simulator. DO NOTE: The results good or bad depend on the type and condition of your hardware, your ability to run a clean, spyware, virus and reasonable amount of boot programs in your OS, and, your ability to maintain good maintenance on your system And please excuse typos in this.. I put this together very fast Anyone is welcome to use (without duplication) the information in this thread and supporting links however like anything else you read, you use this information at your own risk. F1 nor myself is responsible for anything that may go wrong. FSX INSTALLATIONIt is VERY important that you heed this install method. You can not install FSX patches back to back without first booting FSX and its default flight, then close the sim, reboot the computer and install the next patch. To install FSX from the DVD and not follow this list may result in performace issues, scenery issues and errors NOTE: If you are not having any problems with FSX you can not seem to lock down and did not follow the correct method of install you do not need to reinstall FSX however DO keep this list in mind should you ever find yourself in a position where you are reinstalling the software and use it. 1. Install form the DVD, fire up the sim and let it complete the install and then boot the default flight.2. Close the simIf you have the Deluxe version and want the SDK installed, install it off the DVD now.3. Reboot the computer4. Install Acceleration which will install SP2 automatically. Boot the sim and allow it to complete the install and boot the default flight. 5. Close the simIf you want the Acceleration SDK install it from the disk.6. Reboot the computerMake sure you have the latest DirectX UPDATE installed.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=enMake sure you have the C++ library update installed.You can download the stand alone library updates from Microsoft which upgrade the one installed with Acceleration http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en The C++ Library update is ineeded for some 3rd party support and is installed with Acceleration. The links above are to the Library SP1 update which did not ship with AccelI suggest you install the update regardless of what version of FSX you run to be sure you are covered as you may add items to your sim over time. It will NOT change performanceYou can activate FSX now at anytime8. Start the sim, set up the sliders/checkboxes as you had them. Close the sim9. Install your addons one at a time, reboot in between and make sure you have the updates for them.DO NOT MIGRATE or use a old FSX.cfg file!Use it to copy/paste edits but do not overwrite the new file. Acceleration takes care of both SP1 and SP2 in one shotIf installing for a 'non' Acceleration with SP2 its the same process except:After you complete STEP 1, 2 and 3 above, replace STEP 4 with: Install SP1, boot the sim default flight, close and reboot the computer Install SP2, boot the sim default flight, close and reboot the computer USING MORE/LESS or EQUAL to 2GIGS OF SYSTEM MEMORY IN WINDOWS XP x32 OR VISTA X32 with OOM-OR-HOW TO PROPERLY TUNE VIRTUAL ADDRESS SPACE IN WINDOWS (x32) FOR OUT OF MEMORY ERRORS x64 operating systems do not need the following changes BE ADVISED OUT OF MEMORY ERRORS CAN ALSO DISPLAY GRAPHIC ERRORS IN FSX ON THE SCREEN WITHOUT ANY SYSTEM ERROR MESSAGE. SEE THIS THREAD FOR DETAILS: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1233114601YOU MAY NEED TO TUNE THE AMOUNT SET FOR ADDRESS SPACE AS DESCRIBED BELOW IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS WITH THE SETTING OF 2560 PLEASE NOTE: This section is for anyone who sees out of memory error while using FSX. It applies to ALL circumstances.To clear up confusion about this change.. the amount reserved for the cache is NOT and DOES NOT have anything to do with the amount of memory in the system or how much memory you are allowing access to the system!!This change only tweaks the address space, relieving the OOM error. The 32bit system will use the physical memory installed up to 4GB regardless! ONLY FSX SP2 HAS THE ABILITY TO ADDRESS MORE THAN 2GB OF SYSTEM MEMORY. THE DVD AND SP1 VERSIONS CAN ADDRESS MORE THAN 2GB HOWEVER IT REQUIRES MANUAL EDITING OF THE DVD OR SP1 FSX.EXE FILE USING SPECIAL SOFTWARE WHICH WILL ALLOW >2GB SUPPORT.The method of removing out of memory and other errors on a 32bit Operating system and allow fsx access to memory amounts greater than 2GB is listed here:For XP:disable hidden files and folder, then on the root C:\ you will find a file named: boot.ini Open it in notepad and add the follwoing to the end of the OS boot line: /3GB/Userva=2560 EXAMPLE LINE EDIT:multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professsional" /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2560 <---- add it heresave and close the filerebootto set that back to default, simply remove the editIf you are using XP SP2 and are running a dual, quad, OR a single core Intel HYPERTHREAD processor, make sure this update is appliedhttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=enXP SP3 users do not need that updateFor Vista:WINDOWS VISTA ONLY: 1. Open a command prompt with Administration rights. You find the command prompt box under "Programs-Accessories-Command prompt" 2. Right Click the command prompt and select "run as administrator". 3. Enter in the box at the prompt: (copy/paste if you wish) bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560 and press enter 4. Reboot TO set that back to default in VISTA just start the command line prompt with Admin right again and type: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048 Hit enter and reboot NOTE: It is possible you may need to TUNE this value if out of memory errors still display, especially with large video memory video cards (640mb and above)If you sill see OOM errors, do the following:Depending on your OS follow the directions above about editing the system for the cache value. What you will do is LOWER the value edited to the system originally. The amount should be DROPPED in lots of 64. EXAMPLE: Original Edit = 2560LOWER this to 2496, reboot and retest. If OOM still appearsLOWER the edit to 2432, reboot and retest. If OOM still appearsLOWER the edit to 2368, reboot and retest. If OOM still appearsLOWER the edit to 2304, reboot and retest. If OOM still appears, one of 2 problems are possible1. There is a addon in FSX which is not made correctly or has an error in it forcing the OOM.2. Your system (motherboard) simply does not play well with this edit and possibly more than 2GB in the system. The solution to #1 is to locate the addon causing the error through a process of elimination. See if you can ID what addon be it aircraft or scenery may be in use with the error appears and eliminate them as possibilites. The solution to #2 when the memory and the motherboard memory slots are confirmed as correct in use is switch to a 64bit (x64) OS (Vista or XP) which I suggest eveyone use anyway for FSX ABOUT ADDING MEMORY TO A SYSTEM FSX will run better on greater than 2gigs of memory in a 32 or 64bit OS and you should select the right memory to do the job based on your systemDo note that some motherboards do not play well with more than 2GB of system memory and a 32bit OS.As for adding memory.. this is one you MUST be careful withTypically when you add memory your motherboard will automatically try to DOWNCLOCK the memory and RAISE its timing. This is true of going from one stick to two, two sticks to three, etcHOWEVERThere is such a thing a DUAL CHANNEL memory operation which kicks in when you installed a MATCH SET of memory sticks. (2 or 4)When ever you consider a memory upgrade you should try to follow this guideline:NOTE: This is NOT for the new i7 systems or newer DDR3!1. NEVER install more than 2 sticks of memory, be them 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 unless you need the system for engineering purposes and are running a 64bit OS (you will lose performace for >4GB)2. Always check to be sure you are running the highest memory SPEED your system will allow with the clock and processor you are using. This means if you motherboard will support and run higher memory speeds with the processor clocked, or not clocked such as Nvidia, the highest speed with the lowest timing is the best choice. If you do not wish to overclock the system at all, or, your motherboard will not support faster memory speeds then you do not need memory that exceeds FSB/2 of the processor. In example, if your processor is a 1333 QDR FSB processor then your un-clocked memory speed should be 1333/2 or DDR2-667 which has a dram frequency of 333.5MHzBut do be aware with FSX memory speeds of 266 (DDR2 533) and 333 (DDR2 667) are slow. You should strive for at the very least 400Mhz (DDR2 800) with a timing of 4-4-4, no higher on the DDR2 800 timing. In reality the days of DDR2 are coming to an end so if you intend to build a new system I highly suggest you skip DDR2 and build a Intel i7 940 running 3x2GB of DDR3 1600 and plan on clocking it.Make sure you understand how your motherboard works and if it supports higher memory speeds, use them. CPU and memory clocking in FSX is practically a prerequisite if you wish to obtain high scenery and visual goals3. Always purchase the LOWEST timing memory possible for the memory speed you wish to purchase in the amount you wish to purchase4. Always purchase the memory in SETS and never singles OVERCLOCKERS: When you purchase memory you should follow the same basic guidelines however you MUST calculate the memory speed you need to purchase based on your clock. That calculation is based on the CPU speed you will run, what FSB it will take to run it, the CPU STRAP setting and finally what the BIOS will allow in memory speed at clocked settings.In example, if you wish to clock a Q9650 to 3.6-4GHz you want your memory to run as fast as possible. In the case of DDR2 that would be DDR2 1066 (or higher). The same guideline for purchasing memory is followed. The LOWEST timing at the speed you wish to run is how it is selected but you should always purchase 2x1 or 2x2GB product.With 1st Generation DDR3 (not i7) an example of a good CPU and memory system for FSX would be a Q9650 running a 400MHz FSB (3.6GHz) @ DDR3 1600 (2x2GB) and 7-7-7 timing. That processor can run 4GHz if the user runs FSB at 450 but the memory must then be DDR3 1800 to match the speed in relation to FSB/STRAP. In a overclock one must know how to calculate their memory for clock needs.If a system is to be used for engineering or other which requires higher memory amounts than 4GB you MUST be using a 64bit (x64) OS. Windows (XP or VISTA) x32 CAN NOT USE more than 4GB.When purchasing more than 4GB, the same guidelines apply from above however you will need to purchase MORE than 2 sticks. Be aware that WILL MEAN timing and speed will most likely be affected and you do want to purchase 4 matched sticks (4x2GB) not 2x2GB + 2x1GB for dual channel operation. Some motherboards will allow dual channel operation with mismached memory installed, some will not. Some motherboards will run lower timing and higher speeds with all 4 memory slots populated however many will NOT. You must research your motherboard and memory to decide what is best for your needs when running >2 or >4GBHowever., If you are building or upgrading a gaming rig DO NOT RUN more than 4GB for best performance in x32 OR x64! (i7 excluded) Intel i7 - YOU CAN run more than 4GB without the performance loss and the same applies to the timing/speed as I posted above except you are working with TRI CHANNEL instead of DUAL. With i7 unclocked you want 3x1 or (prefered)3x2 DDR3 1333 memory on the LOWEST timing possible. When clocking - 3x2GB DDR3 1600 to DDR3 2000NOTE: WITH i7 YOU MUST PURCHASE MEMORY DESIGNED FOR i7 IN TRI-CHANNEL KITS RATED AT NO MORE THAN 1.65V FSX is a 32bit application and as such even when run in a 64bit operating system memory amounts greater than 4GB will be of little use to FSX directly, however, when applied with a 64bit OS and i7 FSX SP2 (or RTM/SP1 with edited fsx.exe files) will be allowed access to a full 4GB with other processes and applications running along side having access to more (over and above). Therefore 6GB (3x2GB) i7 systems as addons and aircraft become more complicated will benefit FSX on a 64bit OS. If you switch to i7 you are far better off on 3x2GB than 3x1GB in system memory. With i7 (which is 2nd Generation DDR3) greater memory amounts (over 4GB) do not hit the performance of a system like >4GB in DDR2 and 1st generation DDR3. SAMPLES OF MEMORY SPEED/TIMING Here is a list of MAX memory timing per speed a user should strive for.. lower than posted is better and there are memory product out there that run lower timing than posted.. they are typically expensive and that is what you pay for DDR2 800 4-4-4DDR2 1066 5-5-5DDR3 1333 6-6-6 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1600 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1800/1866 8-8-8 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 2000 (and up) 9-9-9 (1st or 2nd Generation) That being said here are the values a user SHOULD look for in order to obtain highest FSX performance with respect to CPU/Memory communicationDDR2 800 3-3-3DDR2 1066 4-4-4DDR3 1333 5-5-5 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1600 6-6-6 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1800/1866 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation) Note: 1800/1866 is really useless compared to 1600 with respect to the right memory timing. If a user wishes to run very high memory speed, opt for 2000 with tighter timing especially running i7. 1st generation DDR3 has issues with the northbridge running large amounts of memory (2x2GB or more). i7 D0 stepping processors and the x58 chipset do not have those issues. DDR3 2000 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation) 8-8-8 can be used however 7-7-7 is FAR better. ======================= MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR CRITICAL WINDOWS UPDATES AS SEVERAL OF THEM DO ADDRESS MEMORY AND PERFORMANCE ISSUES You are now ready to make your FSX.cfg edits and TUNE FSX What I have posted in FSX tuning is to get people in the RIGHT ballpark so they can tune their system in with a good methodology in starting off. There can be differences and there can be some variations but for the most part what I posted should get most systems tuned correctly.Your Mileage May Vary But do try to follow along without adding in any tweaks off the net. Try this and then after should you find what you had ran better, simply restore your FSX.cfg file PLEASE BACK UP YOUR CURRENT FSX.CFG SO YOU MAY RESTORE QUICKLY The FSX.cfg file and how I set up a systemIf you do not know where the FSX.cfg file is:NOTE: You must have HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS disabled in WindowsXPC:\Documents and Settings\YOUR ACCOUNT NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfgVISTAC:\Users\YOUR ACCOUNT NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG Right click the FSX.cfg file, select OPEN WITH and in the box that appears select NOTEPAD. You may opt to 'ALWAYS USE THIS PROGRAM TO OPEN THIS FILE TYPE From that point on it will open by double clicking the file.NOTE: IN VISTA editing the file may require ADMIN RIGHTS. Right click the file and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR or DISABLE UAC in VISTA to get rid of such nags. As for FSX.cfg edits.. these are the only ones I use:TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=XX I use 70 to 80 depending on the systemNOTE: I have never set up a system that I did not use either 70 or 80 for TBM. This setting is always changed before I tune the system however I may drop or raise it while tuning to find which one works better (70 or 80)IMPORTANT: This setting IS NOT THE SAME AS FS9! The amount of data being tasked is MASSIVE compared to FS9. DO NOT SET THIS TO 400! SETTING THIS TO 400 IS A MYTH IN FSX!Even the best quads and cards should only run between 70 and 90However I HAVE seen a few older systems use 100 with good results.. I would not run 100 or higher on modern systems which are pushing higher autogen and sceneryIf you set that to 400 you will NOT be able to tune the system correctly as I have specified below. 70 to 80 should get you in the ballpark and most will run 70WideViewAspect=True Because I use a widescreen monitor. If you do not use a widescreen monitor that should be set to FALSEDisablePreload=1 Which disables FSX from loading the default flight when FSX is first launchedUnless you fly the same extact flight over and over every time you boot the sim (DAY-DATE-TIME-WEATHER-HUB all the same), setting this to 1 offloads the memory from preloading that flight when FSX boots. Bufferpools: Poolsize=xxxxx Which is the bufferpool reserved video memory for scenery geometry around the aircraft. 512 cards really cant make much use of it and should never reserve more than 15MB, 640 cards 35MB and 768 cards 70-80MB. 1GB cards can reserve more.Many find leaving this edit out of the config is the best way to run. You must experiment with this setting to see if it will or will not help.640MB and above cards CAN take advantage of Bufferpools however do be careful with this edit.Bufferpools added to the fsx.cfg file can cause scenery 'spikes' even if the card has enough video memory. This edit to the configuration file works for some and does not work for others. If you see strange graphics errors that do not clear up by visually panning around the outside of the aircraft then you should REMOVE the bufferpool entry from your config file. Do note that with SP2 for FSX running high sliders depending on the drivers may bring on visual graphic 'spikes' from autogen when a flight is first loaded. If visually panning around the aircraft does not clear them, the bufferpool entry should be reduced or removed completely. NEW:SOUND CRACKING AND DISTORTION

Well, that's what it says, so thats what I would do. It's been since April of '08 since I installed and I used FS-GS to set everything up and I dont recall what I did, but if I were you I would follow this list to the "T" since you have had so many problems.

Guest TimS
Well, that's what it says, so thats what I would do. It's been since April of '08 since I installed and I used FS-GS to set everything up and I dont recall what I did, but if I were you I would follow this list to the "T" since you have had so many problems.
OK I'll do that, sorry for late response I am running a little bit low on timeThanks, Tim

Guest TimS

Thanks you guys its working finally special thanks goes to cmpbellsjc but I would like to thank everybody who posted and tried to help meThanks you very much, Tim

Thanks you guys its working finally special thanks goes to cmpbellsjc but I would like to thank everybody who posted and tried to help meThanks you very much, Tim
Glad you got it sorted out and glad that I could help little. Keep this stuff in mind for future reference if you have problems and remember to always run the uninstallers when you want to remove a product. BTW, sorry I never posted my name, but it's Sean. :( Regards

Guest loybond

Isn't the OOM error graphics memory-related?

well I cant do clean reinstall of vista for actually multiple reasons how ever I will follow your advice with uninstalling add ons and then fsx and do clean reinstall. Oh and allso can anybody suggest the order I should install my add ons in:*tile proxyfspassengersfscopilotPMDG 747**fsrecorder*ultimate traffic*I deleted those because of OOM error but I would still like to have these**I dont really use them so it would be nice to have but I dont really care whether I have them or notThanks, Tim

well I dont really have vista disk (it came with my computer) so it will not be fixed if its in the system but here is a thing that is kind of strange is that my outlook stopped working too and again no matter what I do it displays error message so I think its system
hi tim I accidently put my name beside one of your responses. I just got my permission today to post and I messed up...sorry, I will try not to do it again. Goose 5760