Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeT93

DX10 Florida Airports Flicker Fix (Testers needed)

Hi everyone.I just finished going through each airport in Florida, and fixed the ones that flickered under DirectX 10 (I think I got 'em all). I've gone through and ensured that they no longer flicker on my end, but I need to be sure that they're actually fixed for others as well, so I need some folks to test 'em out for me. What I need is for folks to test the included airports under DirectX 10 to see if any of them flicker or not. Be sure you don't have any add-on airports for any of the ones included in this archive, to ensure you have no duplicate airports, which can not only cause problems, but I haven't fixed any third-party's airports, so these will only fix the stock ones. Please report if any of the included airports still flicker under DirectX 10, and please report any airports that you may come across in Florida that flicker and are *not* included with these files, so I can go back and fix those as well. These files *should* fix every airport in Florida that flickered under DirectX 10, so it's important to me to know that these are actually fixed, and that I didn't miss any.Thanks in advance.PS: Please be sure to read the included READ ME file.-GeorgeLink: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ynlku2vymmc/...ort_updates.zip

Happy Flying!

-George

ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

BrilliantI've done about a dozen which have all been rock solid.I'll check the rest later.Many thanksLucevan

BrilliantI've done about a dozen which have all been rock solid.I'll check the rest later.Many thanksLucevan
Good to hear, and thanks for helping me get these checked. :)-George

Happy Flying!

-George

ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

Thank You so much for your work.This marvelous trick does not only work for stock airports, but also for addon airports where the stock taxiway- and runway details flicker through:Edit the stock airport underlying the addon: Exchange asphalt/concrete in one taxiway segment, as known. Then take out all buildings, windsocks, towers, fuel stations and taxiway edge markings. This ensures that only the addon becomes visible when you put the compiled airport in a scenery folder above (important!) the addon.Michael

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, MSI Mortar B150M, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD, NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080, Win10 64bit, i7-6700k 4.0GHz, 32Gb RAM, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

I've checked through them all on the DX10 Florida Airports list.KAAF was the only one I noticed with flicker still.Other than that the others all looked OK on first inspection.I'll taxi about a bit more and let you know if I find any flicker that I've missed.Lucevan

Thanks Lucevan, that's very helpful. I'll go back in and check KAAF again and will post back with results/updated info. I appreciate you taking the time to check these for me. :)For fixing third-party airports, your method should work, but goes beyond the scope of trying to just fix the flickering on as many stock airports as possible. I'm also not sure what, if any, issues that may create with FSX, so I'd suggest posting that info in the original DirectX 10 Flicker Fix thread (link: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=267998) since that's where information about fix first surfaced, and where discussion about changes/tweaks/other fixes should be discussed, in order to present the information to the largest group of folks possible. James_2k is the person who discovered the fix, all I've done is take what I've learned and started applying them to airports. I just started a separate thread for testing these airports to not clutter up his topic with (possibly) lists of airports that still may not be fixed.-GeorgeThanks again for all the help. :)

Happy Flying!

-George

ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

Ok, I just checked KAAF, and it seems the last time I had recompiled it, I had done so with the default airport without my changes. :( Here's a link to the version with the changes applied. Just overwrite the KAAF_DX10Fix_DB93.bgl from the other package and let me know how it works out for you.Thanks again,-GeorgeOops, forgot to put the link in lol.Link:http://www.mediafire.com/file/jaknlintdju/...X10Fix_DB93.zip

Happy Flying!

-George

ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

KAAF is now flicker free.I think you can now declare Florida the first DX10 Flicker Free state.Well done.Lucevan

KAAF is now flicker free.I think you can now declare Florida the first DX10 Flicker Free state.Well done.Lucevan
Woohoo! That's great to hear. :) Thanks for your help testing these out. Someone in the other thread mentioned that they were going to work on Georgia, so I'm going to head a little further north to start on South Carolina for my next project state. Who knows, we may have a complete flicker-free east coast soon! :) Before I put together a final package for the file library, has anyone else encountered any issues with any of the included airports (if anyone else has checked them)?Thanks again,George

Happy Flying!

-George

ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

Note that you probably cannot distribute these edited files on a legal basis.Considering they are derivative work based on the copyrighted MSFS material, distribution would be restricted under the FSX EULA. Sorry to be the wet blanket, but you'd probably be well served to touch base with the AVSIM file libarary managers BEFORE you put in a lot of work with this, because in the end, it may be rejected due to copyright violations. -G

Note that you probably cannot distribute these edited files on a legal basis.Considering they are derivative work based on the copyrighted MSFS material, distribution would be restricted under the FSX EULA. Sorry to be the wet blanket, but you'd probably be well served to touch base with the AVSIM file libarary managers BEFORE you put in a lot of work with this, because in the end, it may be rejected due to copyright violations. -G
I don't see how this would be any different than the thousands of scenery and afcad files that have been released here in the files section?????

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I don't see how this would be any different than the thousands of scenery and afcad files that have been released here in the files section?????
Like I said - he'd be best served touching base with the AVSIM library managers to make sure it's legit on their end. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't like playing one on the Internet. :) I just want to make sure all is good. Replacement AFCADS and scenery files should all be fully independent and "new" creations - not edits of preexisting stock airport files. There may be an exception though considering you'd need FSX in order to use the files in question, and therefore the edits are useless on their own... I'm not sure. But technically speaking, editing and re-releasing MSFS materials might be a violation - perhaps of EULA Section 5 Bullet 2, because an AFCAD is a decompilation of the source BGL, and Bullet 4 for publishing that software for others to copy. Again, not a lawyer here - it's probably best to touch base with the AVSIM library folks to make sure they'd accept it! I'd be first in line to download the files, trust me! But I just want to make sure it's all on the up-and-up though - it'd be pretty bad to do all the work only to find out it's outside the fair use of the files! Just a caution, that's all!

Like I said - he'd be best served touching base with the AVSIM library managers to make sure it's legit on their end. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't like playing one on the Internet. :) I just want to make sure all is good. Replacement AFCADS and scenery files should all be fully independent and "new" creations - not edits of preexisting stock airport files. There may be an exception though considering you'd need FSX in order to use the files in question, and therefore the edits are useless on their own... I'm not sure. But technically speaking, editing and re-releasing MSFS materials might be a violation - perhaps of EULA Section 5 Bullet 2, because an AFCAD is a decompilation of the source BGL, and Bullet 4 for publishing that software for others to copy. Again, not a lawyer here - it's probably best to touch base with the AVSIM library folks to make sure they'd accept it! I'd be first in line to download the files, trust me! But I just want to make sure it's all on the up-and-up though - it'd be pretty bad to do all the work only to find out it's outside the fair use of the files! Just a caution, that's all!
Very valid point, greggerm. I just shot off an email to the library managers and am awaiting their reply.Thanks,-George

Happy Flying!

-George

ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

Hi all,I've heard back from an avsim library manager, and there doesn't appear to be any issue with posting the modified airports to the library, as long as they're properly marked and credited as stock MS airports that were modified by me, and that I don't try to sell them (which was never my intention anyway) (link: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=268619). Anyhow, now that I'm sure they'll be ok to post here on the library, has anyone else tried these fixed versions, and encountered any flickering? I just want to be sure before putting them up for download on the library, so I can begin working on a new area. :)Thanks,-George

Happy Flying!

-George

ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

Well with over 400 views and no negative comments, I'm going to have to assume that the included airports must be fixed for at least a couple of people, since I can't believe only one person in 400 views was willing to give them a test. I've submitted them to the library, so the file should be up in the next day or so. The filename is nae_fl_d10fix_rc1.zip, and I've labelled it as a release candidate instead of a final release, as I'm not sure just how many people this winds up working for. Thanks again for the help testing these, Lucevan. Now I just wait and keep my fingers crossed that the fixes work as well for other folks as they worked for you. :)-George

Happy Flying!

-George

ftx_supporter_avsim.gif