Guest djt01
I'm sorry you had to waste your time reading my opinion then. I don't want auto. Auto doesn't work well for me in this case. I've used so many versions of the drivers/CCC and tried as many versions of the nhancer-style addons for ATI that I could find but so far none of them has given me the results I want. If this is because of my own incompetence, so be it. Still have a few things on my list to try though so I've not given up. I got perfect results in other games with the 5870 in no time at all so I know very well what this card can do.
I didn

I'm sorry you had to waste your time reading my opinion then. I don't want auto. Auto doesn't work well for me in this case. I've used so many versions of the drivers/CCC and tried as many versions of the nhancer-style addons for ATI that I could find but so far none of them has given me the results I want. If this is because of my own incompetence, so be it. Still have a few things on my list to try though so I've not given up. I got perfect results in other games with the 5870 in no time at all so I know very well what this card can do.
I quoted and stated so many times a utility that LETS you manage the LOD Bias in the last post I made on this thread. Here you go. If you want to set a prerender limit like nVidia. change "flip queue" under 3D settings. LOD Bias is on the same page as well. http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-T...ray-Tools.shtml

You can disagree all you want, the only sure way of getting rid of all traces of the previous install is with a reformat.
Not even remotely true. There's this thing called the registry, it even includes a nifty search function!
I build and upgrade gaming systems as a side business I would never upgrade any customers machine (or my own) with a new video card without a reformat, that's just half-assed.
I imagine your customers would be better served in other capacities.

Guest djt01
Not even remotely true. There's this thing called the registry, it even includes a nifty search function!
What would you do

My point is that if you were a real tech you would know that switching IHV's is entirely feasible, if you take the time to clean up the system properly before making the switch.

Guest djt01
My point is that if you were a real tech you would know that switching IHV's is entirely feasible, if you take the time to clean up the system properly before making the switch.
If you were a

Right. That's why I do this for a living, and you've built a system or two for a friend. A nuke and pave should be a last resort, not a first. Where did you learn that philosophy? Geek Squad? LMAO.

Guest djt01
Right. That's why I do this for a living, and you've built a system or two for a friend. A nuke and pave should be a last resort, not a first. Where did you learn that philosophy? Geek Squad? LMAO.
Gee that

As I've already said, nuking and paving should be a last resort, you seemed to suggest it was the only option. I find with enough time and effort that is almost never true. Virtually every software issue can be solved by using one's mind, and some decent tools. This is something good techs do. You seem to prefer the easy way out, hence my previous comment.Of course you're not interested in discussion though, so I'll leave it at that. As for GTX 285 vs. HD 5870:bottom line is this: ATi doesn't care about MSFS, and likely never will. If you are willing to tweak the driver and the sim accordingly, you can get the same or better experience than what is available with current NV hardware. This could change when GTX 380 hits store shelves though. Of course then ATi's counter-punch, the 5890 (massively over-clocked 5870) will hit and this discussion will become fresh once again.

Guest djt01
As I've already said, nuking and paving should be a last resort, you seemed to suggest it was the only option. I find with enough time and effort that is almost never true. Virtually every software issue can be solved by using one's mind, and some decent tools. This is something good techs do. You seem to prefer the easy way out, hence my previous comment.Of course you're not interested in discussion though, so I'll leave it at that.
Yeah it

Yeah it's the "last resort" if you're into doing a "half assed/Geek Squad" job. By the way how the hell is reinstalling the OS "the easy way out"? Duh, if it was the easy way out there wouldn't even be a discussion about whether or not to reinstall the OS. Again, "good techs" don't do a half assed job.
You keep making this assertion yet haven't backed it up (nor do I expect you to, given your posting history). The best answer to any software problem is to keep one's existing software environment in tact (i.e. O.S. & apps). Good techs fix software issues without reloading the O.S., unless the client doesn't have the time for troubleshooting. Of course your argument doesn't account for troubleshooting, which tells me all I need to know about your technical skills. Funny how you've latched on to my Geek Squad comment when it is you that has a Geek Squad mentality. If you ever want to learn how to be a real tech, send me a message some time. I'd be happy to teach you.

Guest djt01
You keep making this assertion yet haven't backed it up (nor do I expect you to, given your posting history). The best answer to any software problem is to keep one's existing software environment in tact (i.e. O.S. & apps). Good techs fix software issues without reloading the O.S., unless the client doesn't have the time for troubleshooting. Of course your argument doesn't account for troubleshooting, which tells me all I need to know about your technical skills. Funny how you've latched on to my Geek Squad comment when it is you that has a Geek Squad mentality. If you ever want to learn how to be a real tech, send me a message some time. I'd be happy to teach you.
What assertion haven

One hasn't needed to reload an O.S. for a GPU change since well into Windows XP's life cycle, i.e. for about the last 5 years or so. The fact that you don't know this tells me you haven't a clue.Your question about the HAL isn't valid for a device which has its own drivers, like a GPU. Now if you were talking about switching from a single-core CPU to a multi-core CPU, then you'd have a point.

Guest djt01
One hasn't needed to reload an O.S. for a GPU change since well into Windows XP's life cycle, i.e. for about the last 5 years or so. The fact that you don't know this tells me you haven't a clue.Your question about the HAL isn't valid for a device which has its own drivers, like a GPU. Now if you were talking about switching from a single-core CPU to a multi-core CPU, then you'd have a point.
Wow, what a revelation, I wonder why no one else knows this but the great

Enough guys, this is getting rediculous. Just uninstall the drivers using the control panel. Reboot, then use Driver Sweeper from Guru3D.com which removes all registry keys, folders, etc automatically, and even shows you the files being deleted. It has never failed anyone. BTW People need to read the posts. ATi does not need extraneous "driver tweaks" to get the same results as NV, and ATi certinaly does care about FSX, that is why I have seen FPS and smoothness increase with each driver (TechMaxGuy), people need to stop making stupid assumptions and look at the facts/results, use your brain once in a while...I have said countless times that you can use ATiTools which is like nHancer, and even the default driver Control Panel (Catalyst Control Center) is sufficent, IF you know how to use a card and setup image quality property and not just set it too 8xAA and quality super sampling and expect it to be sharper than ever and fast...http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1694202