Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

W7 performance...after the fact.

I posted a thread about my performance on W7 a month ago or so. The loading time of scenery took well over 3 minutes along with any sounds and vc textures. I ave up and did not use W7. However, I partitioned my hardrive and reinstalled FSX on the new partition and WOW. Perf. is amazing. If you are having problems with your fsx, put fsx on its OWN hardrive. Good Luck Ill post my specs if anyone wants to know.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

On my new PC, I put FS9 on a Raptor drive (separate from the OS) and I couldn't believe how much faster it loaded up and how many less hard drive stutters I have during flight.

Are these raptor drives expensive? I need to invest in another HD just for games and multimedia. Mainly for games ;)

Matt kubanda

Are these raptor drives expensive? I need to invest in another HD just for games and multimedia. Mainly for games ;)
Not meaning to be rude or anything, but why don't you check the prices yourself? And it's definitely a good drive for multimedia and games.

Raptor drives are definitely more expensive than ordinary drives and some question the added expense. My 300GB Raptor cost $280 CAD, but I consider it well worth it as FS9 loads up super fast and hardly any hard drive stutters.

Not meaning to be rude or anything, but why don't you check the prices yourself? And it's definitely a good drive for multimedia and games.
I was trying to have a conversation with the person. Thanks for the input otherwise. Its not like I am asking how much the person makes in yearly income. He could have gotten the HD for a little cheaper than the place I would have looked.

Matt kubanda

I remember an article about simply getting a TB drive and partitioning it to 300 gig or so with virtually the same performance as a raptor... for almost 1/3 the price.

I remember an article about simply getting a TB drive and partitioning it to 300 gig or so with virtually the same performance as a raptor... for almost 1/3 the price.
thats what I did. I also increased the paging file on my Vista drive and that helped for some reason. no more stutters or weird graphical glitches when switiching btwn windowed or full screen views. Maybe placebo but we all know how fsx can change between comps.

Matt kubanda

Jim,Do you happen to have the link to that article?Alan

Guest davidgomez

I use a regular 150GB SATA 7200 hard drive and use a good degrament tool on it , no stutters whatsover dont see the need to shell out for a raptor ( money is better spent on a new mobo / ram / proc imho and I would be very surprised if my perf was any better on a raptor from here and i have it so good now im not inclined to find out ) All this being said that performance gain from FSX in W7 is very hit and miss i went back to Windows XP 64 bit and for one reason or another I can say in my system FSX is much much better off under tried and tested XP.. Yes the DX10 perf in W7 can under some circumstances help but i decided to pipe up to the notion that a raptor under W7 will solve the problem .. its wont ... your perf gain is from the seperate hard disk and not automatically W7 have you tried a seperate drive under XP before shelling for W7 ( assuming no other variables changed also)?My advice would be spend thee money on better hardware for XP.. After 2 weeks of tweaking in dual boot i eventually got rid of my FSX install on W7 ( good riddance) , XP is streets ahead and finally under this OS I can say im using FSX the way it was meant to be used , smooth and stutter free a sheer joy ( at last :) )

My advice would be spend thee money on better hardware for XP.. After 2 weeks of tweaking in dual boot i eventually got rid of my FSX install on W7 ( good riddance) , XP is streets ahead and finally under this OS I can say im using FSX the way it was meant to be used , smooth and stutter free a sheer joy ( at last :) )
I wonder how many folks have or going back to XP from W7 64. I have played with tweaks on my home built system since release of W7 64 and have never found a way to stop W7 64/FSX issues. I ordered XP 64 OS, should receive next week and can't wait to get back to flying rather than tweaking/adju system all the time. Appreciate all excellent recommendations on this Form.My home builti7 950 3.06G 45N (not over clock) Gigabyte Ga-EX58-UD5Cooler Master V86GB OCZ Tech DDR3 Triple Channel RAMIntel Solid State 80G Drive, FSX DriveWD VelociRaptor 300G 10000 RPM Drive, OSCoolMaster Case HAF922Corsair HX1000W Power SupplyEVGA GeForce GTX 285CH Products Yoke, pedalsSaitek Radio & Auto Pilot Panels

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.

Guest davidgomez
I wonder how many folks have or going back to XP from W7 64. I have played with tweaks on my home built system since release of W7 64 and have never found a way to stop W7 64/FSX issues. I ordered XP 64 OS, should receive next week and can't wait to get back to flying rather than tweaking/adju system all the time. Appreciate all excellent recommendations on this Form.My home builti7 950 3.06G 45N (not over clock) Gigabyte Ga-EX58-UD5Cooler Master V86GB OCZ Tech DDR3 Triple Channel RAMIntel Solid State 80G Drive, FSX DriveWD VelociRaptor 300G 10000 RPM Drive, OSCoolMaster Case HAF922Corsair HX1000W Power SupplyEVGA GeForce GTX 285CH Products Yoke, pedalsSaitek Radio & Auto Pilot Panels
Has your XP arrived yet ? If so how did you find the change to XP64 from XP ?

I changed from XP to XP64, before I installed W7 x64. It was a simple experience - I only had to make sure I have all the device drivers, after that, it was absolutely the same experience as with XP32. There is no difference in FS performance, except the memory part, meaning, if set up right, there are no more OOMs (the reason why I changed).