Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Interesting or difficult Approaches

I saw a piece of film a while back about a still used approach not too dissimilar to that of the old IGS13 at Kai Tak.I can't for the life of me remember where it was.Can anyone think what or where it might have been, or suggest some fun and preferably current approaches for medium to heavy airliners?Thanks

Toncontin Airport in Honduras? There is decent payware scenery for the airport at http://www.latinvfr.com/Home.html

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Toncontin Airport in Honduras? There is decent payware scenery for the airport at http://www.latinvfr.com/Home.html
Many thanks JeffI think that's probably the one. Will most probably have to checkout that payware.PSNice to see your sig. We foster dogs for a large UK rescue centre. Just received a new addition - a huuuuge akita/husky cross, tipping the scalles at just over 44 kilos (just under 100lbs)!! They have many, many greyhounds :-(

JFK also has the Carnisle VOR 13L/R approaches. They are actually a turn of 80-90 degrees to final (Kai Tak was something around 40 degrees), but let you off with a longer base leg once you roll out making things slightly easier. Also take a look at Madeira, Spain. The approach involves nearly 180 degree u-turn at the end of a bay and some mountains on your other wing to make it in for the landing.Not quite the same type of "turn to short final", but for other interesting approaches think about:1. Aspen, CO, USA (steep approach, offset localizer and high altitude flight--careful with those turboprop operating ceilings!), FSX payware scenery from Aerosoft2. Innsbruck, Austria (airport is in a valley, one runway requirs a confined u-turn to make it in), FS9 payware available from aerosoft, FSX coming soon3. Princess Julianna (short runway to land heavies--which do fly there), FS9 and FSX payware available from FlyTampa4. Honolulu, Hawaii (a large mix of offset localizer and DME arc approaches (as well as a couple of simple straight ins), FS9 and FSX payware coming soon from FSDreamTeam5. Lukla, Nepal (Mount Everest's Airport, high altitude, short runway and heavily sloped runway), FSX payware from Aerosoft (including the sloped runway)And the two from above...6. JFK Carnisle 13L/R VOR, FS9 and FSX payware available from FSDreamTeam7. Madeira Spain, FSX payware available from AerosoftAnd the infamous....8. Kai Tak, Hong Kong, FS9 and FSX payware from FlyTampaI make mention of the available payware (sorry, not aware of freeware if any exists) for the approaches too as I think the scenery really is spectacular on the way in on these approaches or they add something that helps for the approach (like runway lead in lights for Kai Tak and JFK).

Eric Szczesniak

JFK also has the Carnisle VOR 13L/R approaches. They are actually a turn of 80-90 degrees to final (Kai Tak was something around 40 degrees), but let you off with a longer base leg once you roll out making things slightly easier. Also take a look at Madeira, Spain. The approach involves nearly 180 degree u-turn at the end of a bay and some mountains on your other wing to make it in for the landing.Not quite the same type of "turn to short final", but for other interesting approaches think about:1. Aspen, CO, USA (steep approach, offset localizer and high altitude flight--careful with those turboprop operating ceilings!), FSX payware scenery from Aerosoft2. Innsbruck, Austria (airport is in a valley, one runway requirs a confined u-turn to make it in), FS9 payware available from aerosoft, FSX coming soon3. Princess Julianna (short runway to land heavies--which do fly there), FS9 and FSX payware available from FlyTampa4. Honolulu, Hawaii (a large mix of offset localizer and DME arc approaches (as well as a couple of simple straight ins), FS9 and FSX payware coming soon from FSDreamTeam5. Lukla, Nepal (Mount Everest's Airport, high altitude, short runway and heavily sloped runway), FSX payware from Aerosoft (including the sloped runway)And the two from above...6. JFK Carnisle 13L/R VOR, FS9 and FSX payware available from FSDreamTeam7. Madeira Spain, FSX payware available from AerosoftAnd the infamous....8. Kai Tak, Hong Kong, FS9 and FSX payware from FlyTampaI make mention of the available payware (sorry, not aware of freeware if any exists) for the approaches too as I think the scenery really is spectacular on the way in on these approaches or they add something that helps for the approach (like runway lead in lights for Kai Tak and JFK).
Of course!!! Duh! It was indeed JFK. I have some of those payware you mention, but hadn't reaslised FSDreamteam had done JFK. Guess i need to look st that too then. The Aerosoft version had my PC on it's knees.

There is an approach that unfortunately isn't really modeled as such in FSX into Busan Korea (Gimhae RKPK). When winds are from the south (typical summer conditions) the primary approach is the ILS36L circle to 18R. Due to high terrain north of the airport it isn't feasible to do a straight-in to the 18s (In fact there was a crash into the mountain Air China flt 127 in 2002). Since then I believe there is a "checkerboard" on that mountain and lead-in lights showing how to follow the circle to 18R.scott s..

Here is a video of the Toncontin approach if you didn't see it. What a awesome spotting location!

(no music so the link should be ok?)Also, landing in to TFFJ (St. Barths) is really great. The airport is part of the TNCM FlyTampa package. You have to clear a large hill just before the runway, dive down to make the runway and then stop on a dime to avoid ending up in the bay.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Of course!!! Duh! It was indeed JFK. I have some of those payware you mention, but hadn't reaslised FSDreamteam had done JFK. Guess i need to look st that too then. The Aerosoft version had my PC on it's knees.
Yes the old "Aerosoft" (I believe it was initially SimWings who did it) was crippling. New York are in general is hard in MSFS, but I went from 22-24 fps in defaul to maybe 18-20 fps with that and WOAI installed (did both at the same time so not sure what the relative contribution to the performance hit was).

Eric Szczesniak

You might also find the approach for runway 33 at Reggio Calabria Airport (LICR) in southern Italy, interesting. It involves flying an offset localiser (bearing 017) until the RCA NDB and then going visual following the lead in lights (unfortunately not present in the default scenery) a la Kai Tak, albeit to the left, swooping low over residential areas onto runway 33. This approach is required due to the high terrain to the east of the airport. It's quite a demanding approach and the surrounding scenery is spectacular with the Aspromonte National Park to the east, and the high terrain in the region south of Messina as well mount Etna further down to the south across the straight of Messina.This video shows the approach after passing the NDB:

Hi GuysJust thought i'd drop by again to say thanks for these suggestions. I did purchase the MHTG Toncontin addon. Although nothing spectacular by today's standards in FSX, the package is far better that FSX default.What a hoot i've been having with it. This approach is simply amazing - surely one of the most dangerous in the world is it not? I also have Kai Tak from Fly Tampa and, although difficult, the IGS13 approach can be mastered as the descent rate is pretty constant. Toncontin on the other hand, i find MUCH more challenging. I've been flying circuits for a couple of days now with 737s, 757s & a 767, but still only manage about 1 in 3 'acceptable' landings!Judging from the video footage i've seen, i'd say that pilots must actually fly 'wide' of the published approach? Be very curious to know if that's correct?If anyone can now tell me how to add airports and navaids to the PMDG database I'd be extremely grateful. I'd love to try this with some of their aircraft.So, once again, many thanks for the pointer..... and happy new year to you all!

That's a pretty cool approach.What aircraft is that? I can't place those strange cabin windows.Thanks

Fokker F50.
Thank you.All I have to do now now is find one :(

Hi GuysJust thought i'd drop by again to say thanks for these suggestions. I did purchase the MHTG Toncontin addon. Although nothing spectacular by today's standards in FSX, the package is far better that FSX default.What a hoot i've been having with it. This approach is simply amazing - surely one of the most dangerous in the world is it not? I also have Kai Tak from Fly Tampa and, although difficult, the IGS13 approach can be mastered as the descent rate is pretty constant. Toncontin on the other hand, i find MUCH more challenging. I've been flying circuits for a couple of days now with 737s, 757s & a 767, but still only manage about 1 in 3 'acceptable' landings!Judging from the video footage i've seen, i'd say that pilots must actually fly 'wide' of the published approach? Be very curious to know if that's correct?If anyone can now tell me how to add airports and navaids to the PMDG database I'd be extremely grateful. I'd love to try this with some of their aircraft.So, once again, many thanks for the pointer..... and happy new year to you all!
Here's my contribution:
btw you got me interested on that add-on, I was hoping for a Central American package of sorts to be released.