Sign in to follow this  
G-SWSM

G2D.Dll Error

Hi.I was wondering if anyone had this issue from time to time, and if they managed to fix it in any way.I get it now and then.Was there a common cause, or was it related to a scenery file?I have also read that some think it may be a missing or corrupt texture file if there aren't any empty folders anywhere on your system.Anyone have any clues at all.Many thanks for any thoughts.

Hi.I was wondering if anyone had this issue from time to time, and if they managed to fix it in any way.I get it now and then.Was there a common cause, or was it related to a scenery file?I have also read that some think it may be a missing or corrupt texture file if there aren't any empty folders anywhere on your system.Anyone have any clues at all.Many thanks for any thoughts.
Here are some details on my web site, along with some links to others' comments:http://www.adventure-unlimited.org/faultfinding.phpJohn

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Guest lgvpilot1

Hi JohnI just wanted to say that I have had your site bookmarked for ever , and using it for reference has helped me though various flight sim woes .Thank you Buddy :( :( Mark

Steve,I recently encountered this error (G2D.dll) as well. After considerable testing I traced the cause to a newly installed paint on the Level D 767. Shame too...it was an outstanding paint.If you've recently installed any Liverys you might consider that possibility. Just a thought.Cheers

Lee Adams

JAFO

Hi All.Many thanks to all of you for the suggestions. John, you're web site is very interesting indeed, and very useful. I have added it to my favourites and read through the whole site.I admit to being somewhat fed up with this G2D.Dll error I keep getting, and have tried just about everything I can think of. But what I will try next is disabling every single scenery add-on that I have, which by the way is pretty much just the UK2000 stuff and a few others.I noticed that you're web site points to the panels being somewhat usually responsible for G2D.Dll errors, and yet Randy came out with a point about a repaint he was using on the LDS B767, which I do own.Randy, what repaint was it, just in case I have it too.I do though convert all of my aircraft textures to DXT3.I will try the scenery disable thing and see what happens.What is frustrating about this issue is that it can happen in the daytime or evening, can't remember if I have had it at night, and it also seems to happen even if I fly the default Cessna, so I am confused about the panel side of things with that one.I had this happen the other day, I took off from the UK2000 EGLL Xtreme in the LDS B767 which was wearing the Fly Globespan DXT3 colour scheme, and I was using ASv 6.5 and had installed REX textures then closed it.I was also on-line with VATSIM at the time too. I was about FL180 and level in the cruise when all of a sudden, black screen, and long pause then the usual small MS window with FS has yada yada G2D.DLL.I will try the scenery disable thing, and not run ASv, REX or VATSIM and just fly the default Cessna. I will try this in a route from EGLL to EGCC, so I am pretty much doing the same route, but lower of course. Then if this is OK I will try it in the day time.If this seems fine, then I will try it in the LDS and do the same thing.I know this is a lot of testing and a process of elimination, and I hate to bring this up again, but it's such a pain in the a$& that it's a shame we can't fix this.I must admit though, I never thought about aircraft textures causing this!Thanks again for the help guy's.PS my specs are below my sig in case it helps.

Steve,It was the American Airlines "Oneworld" livery for the Level D B767 by Gustavo Aguiar. An outstanding paint to be sure, but it consistently caused the G2D.DLL CTD. For me it failed consistently what I came to refer to as the "Heathrow test". I use UK2000 Heathrow Extreme aswell. It would fail after a few cycles from VC to Spot view consistently. Using a suggestion in the repainters forum here...simply resaving the textures with a DXT3 editor using "save as" option seems to have fixed it...although a bit more testing is needed to confirm that.Your situation sounds a bit more complicated if you are getting the error with default aircraft..something I have never encountered.Hope this info helps a bit.Cheers

Lee Adams

JAFO

I noticed that you're web site points to the panels being somewhat usually responsible for G2D.Dll errors, and yet Randy came out with a point about a repaint he was using on the LDS B767, which I do own.
Ah well, just because I haven't experienced it doesn't mean it can't happen! I would be happy to add something on this if it can be proven.I am often mistrustful of non-standard texture formats - DXT3 is what FS was designed to use of course. I would be interested to know what format the offending plane started out as.Best wishes,John

Hi John.Any thoughts on what might be causing mine to happen as it is with different aircraft.Thanks.

Hi John.Any thoughts on what might be causing mine to happen as it is with different aircraft.Thanks.
Not really, I'm afraid, as I haven't experienced this with aircraft myself, but have you tried converting the textures to DXT3 as suggested by clipper759?Best wishes,John

Hi.Yep, I convert all my a/c to DXT3.Just one thing though, what about the panels, I notice some are 8bit and some 24 bit etc. Should these be DXT3 as well ?Thanks.

Hi.Yep, I convert all my a/c to DXT3.Just one thing though, what about the panels, I notice some are 8bit and some 24 bit etc. Should these be DXT3 as well ?Thanks.
Yes, sorry, you had previously mentioned that and I missed it.Hey, I'm no expert, but I would answer "no" to the panel issue. Reason being is that some panel backgrounds will look bad with a reduced number of colours. The colour black gives you transparency (i.e. windows) and if you reduce the number of colours, dark grey areas may also become black, giving you some "holes" in the wall of the aircraft. (Then you would have to plug them with chewing gum to keep the draught out, teehee). That being said, I'm passing my judgement on good looks rather than any reality of operation. But my suspicions are at specific gauges rather than panel backgrounds.But I can honestly say I don't really know.John

Hi.Well, it just happened again.I set out from EGLL in the default Lear, NO add-on scenery active whatsoever, and NO other items running, such as ASv, REX, FS Nav nothing at all.I was about half way from EGLL to EGCC and around FL180 when it happened again. Blank screen then FS has yada yada G2D.DllI am truly stuck now. I just hope this isn't a FS Re-Install.The next thing for me to try is backing up, then deleting the FS config file and letting it build a new one.I also tried that running in compatibility mode thing and selecting Win 200, can't say it did anything.Right now I would p*$$ on a spark plug if I thought it would do any good.Anyone have any other thoughts at all!Thanks.

Hi.I have had this CTD quite a few times, and almost only at the end of a long haul using PMDG 744..Had one just today, short after touchdown at KJFK (some freeware scenery) from EGLL (EGLL Aerosoft Scenery with AES).Very frustrating. (Having a nice ~25 FPS at EGLL heathrow with massive traffic, rainy weather and VC cockpit, and you get a CTD upon arrival after 7 hrs.. >:( )And I

Steve,Sorry to hear the problem continues. I can confirm that the AA paint I mentioned was my problem and "resaving" the original textures has eliminated the problem. Are you using an AI program? Have you tried shutting it down if so? Bad AI textures have caused me some grief in the past.Hope you get it sorted out Mate.

Lee Adams

JAFO

Hi.I very rarely use AI, I fly on-line with VATSIM. But I am going to try it with a different screen resolution.Strange how it has started to happen when I haven't really changed anything except add REX, but that was ages ago. and I use the smaller size clouds and selected DXT3 too.