Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick527

Where do I begin?

So it looks like I'm stuck with xplane, with all of its planes that are either half-finished or plain unrealistic. Even at its worst, xplane seems the only option left.
Or you could save up and buy a better computer and run XP 9 instead of XP 7, and FS9 or FSX.

Matthew S

Guest Nick527
Or you could save up and buy a better computer and run XP 9 instead of XP 7, and FS9 or FSX.
Thanks MathewS, yes I get what you mean, maybe that's the eventual answer whether I like it or not. I didn't mean xp9 being the one with incomplete planes, just that from v6.70 onwards there were a lot of lemons in all of the planes you could download, and I seem to have found most of them. From what I can tell with the plane that started all of this, it looks like it was an unfinished plane when it was released. Not only that but it was a payware item that was sold unfinished, for which people paid. The same developer is still doing planes for xp9. I wonder if they too are unfinished when they are sold either as add-ons or as part of the xp9 package? I'm not in any rush to part with cash to find out.It's just hard to scrap a 2-year old machine that cost a lot of money back then, just to run this one program properly, I say this when my machine perfectly runs quite a few industry-standard programs which cost a great deal more than xplane, are more memory-demanding, and are just as up to date. The one and only program my pc is obsolete for is xplane. My one bugbear with this whole issue has been, so I go and buy a new pc to run xp9, is it too going to be obsolete this time next year when laminar's brought out v9.5/9.6/9.7/9.8/9.9 and 10.0 in the meantime? I mean, it's hard to keep up. If I had to change my car as often, I'd be keeping my local dealer afloat all on my own.But no, I understand what you mean about eventually having to upgrade to keep up to date. It may well be my pc, as it won't run fs9 satisfactorily enough which will usually run on most things, but what I plan to do is to do nothing for the moment. Maybe in another couple of years when this pc fails, or is obsolete for a lot more than one program, then I'l probably upgrade. Hopefully by that time xplane won't have advanced too far ahead to make even new pc's obsolete before they even leave the shop!ThanksNick

Thanks Jan and everyone else for doing far in excess of what I would expect to get, in return for the demanding nature of nick' queries. Most of us are fairly sure that v9 would run ok on a 2 yo computer. The discs came in 3 days to me in Australia, and there are huge config options to ensure silky graphics. This huge thread is very funny, I applaud your measured replies and perseverance! I can't wait to raise a challenging v9 query, this is becoming a good alternative forum. I'm about to post a question in fact.

I think any halfway decent 2 year old computer would run XP9 or FSX ok with midrange settings. It

Guest Nick527

Hi Jan and allYes, many many thanks for trying to sort out what started as a fairly simple (?) query about a payware aircraft which has turned out to be a lemon, and a half-baked/half finished lemon at that. I was probably expecting too much for an unfinished item to work properly. No unfinished item will work on any system, even on v9.Jan's right in the hardware being tomorrow's for today. I've just got off the phone to someone, who's said exactly the same thing. But I'm using an Acer Travelmate 2410wlmi, for which fs9 is the first program I've had problems with. It runs xplane perfectly well, along with a number of higher-demand programs like Ableton Live, Traktor, Sounforge etc. I think part of the problem with fs9 was partly due to the usb controller I was using, which altho it runs fine on a number of rc helicopter sims and xplane, maybe it wasn't compatible with fs9. I don't know if the latency issue was due to the controller, sensitivity settings, or a frame rate issue (odd tho there was no glitching with the frame rate).I apologize if my posts were seen as demanding in nature, they were certainly mentally demanding from this end, not to mention frustrating. However, Jan was the first to offer the best solution which was a talk-through of the startup procedure of the 737 (something Stratmann's non-existent manual should have provided). Having gone thru the startup with someone who knows it, at least I discovered it wasn't my lack of knowledge which was wholly the issue, but that the aircraft file itself had no integrity.I am glad that it was entertaining (I noticed it's one of the most-read threads on here) but at least it shows (to me anyway) that we have some quality people on here, Jan in particular.Many thanksNick

Guest Setanta
Hi Jan and allYes, many many thanks for trying to sort out what started as a fairly simple (?) query about a payware aircraft which has turned out to be a lemon, and a half-baked/half finished lemon at that. I was probably expecting too much for an unfinished item to work properly. No unfinished item will work on any system, even on v9.Jan's right in the hardware being tomorrow's for today. I've just got off the phone to someone, who's said exactly the same thing. But I'm using an Acer Travelmate 2410wlmi, for which fs9 is the first program I've had problems with. It runs xplane perfectly well, along with a number of higher-demand programs like Ableton Live, Traktor, Sounforge etc. I think part of the problem with fs9 was partly due to the usb controller I was using, which altho it runs fine on a number of rc helicopter sims and xplane, maybe it wasn't compatible with fs9. I don't know if the latency issue was due to the controller, sensitivity settings, or a frame rate issue (odd tho there was no glitching with the frame rate).I apologize if my posts were seen as demanding in nature, they were certainly mentally demanding from this end, not to mention frustrating. However, Jan was the first to offer the best solution which was a talk-through of the startup procedure of the 737 (something Stratmann's non-existent manual should have provided). Having gone thru the startup with someone who knows it, at least I discovered it wasn't my lack of knowledge which was wholly the issue, but that the aircraft file itself had no integrity.I am glad that it was entertaining (I noticed it's one of the most-read threads on here) but at least it shows (to me anyway) that we have some quality people on here, Jan in particular.Many thanksNick
I've bitten my tongue on this thread but I can't leave it like this. I feel the need to point out that Benedikt Stratmann's 737-800 as referred to here is in fact FREEWARE, not payware. As far as I can remember it has always been free to download and certainly has been in the recent past. It has always been and still is an ongoing project and is well regarded by people who know a hell of a lot more about such aircraft than I do. If the poster in fact paid for this aircraft they should go vent their spleen on whomsoever took their cash rather than on the builder who has provided it to the community for no reward. By insisting on staying with a deprecated version of X-plane the original poster has ended up with what would seem to be a usable version of the aircraft yet has the temerity to complain bitterly that it doesn't meet his standards when it comes to documentation and/or functionality.Setanta

Guest Callmecapt

Nick,I don't really want to go telling people off. However, your attitude leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps it's misinterpretation through text. But you come across as very demanding and when you don't get what you want, you seem to blame everyone or everything but yourself.Truth is, if a computer can run FS9 or FSX, it is guaranteed to run X-Plane 9. I have had the same computer now for about 4 years and it still runs all my apps very well.It's very hard to know what will make you happy. You say you want to get the 737 started in V7. Short answer is, if the developer said it won't work in V7, then it won't work in V7. No amount of tweaking, asking, demanding or telling the developer to MAKE it work will get him to change his mind. V7 is far too old for the majority of users to bother with. The upgrades made to X Plane have little to no impact on performance so your comments about having to buy a new computer every time an update comes out is a little out of line.Along with a few other things.I was the first one to respond to your question after your 2nd post whining about no one responding after 21 views. This is a community where help is volunteered. Not expected. And you were blatantly rude saying I couldn't read or understand English. Perhaps I'll re think whether I give advice in future should someone ask for it. Turns out I was right in that very first post I made. You need to get V9 and possibly upgrade your computer. Instead of a thank you, I got a "Why can't people read or understand plain English?" The 737 you have will not run in V7. Something you found out the hard way after many days of trying.We're all here to help each other. Demanding something, whether you're frustrated or not, will earn you very few helpful responses.Just something to think about.Have a nice day!Goran