Sign in to follow this  
terrypin

Where did I see this tip?

This is going to sound really vague, but I hope someone can help as I've been searching for hours and am getting truly frustrated!I'm returning to FSX after a long absence. And I'm a novice user anyway.A couple of days ago I was browsing this and other FSX forums and saw a post recommending a change to the FSX.cfg file under the DISPLAY section. The objective was to get sharper scenery (I'm not sure if that was the default scenery or Horizon VFR Gen-X scenery, if that matters). And a before and after screenshot was shown. All I can remember is that it was to add a line something likexxx=7The '=7' bit I'm positive about (and it was also mentioned that the 'default' value was 3. But the 'xxx' bit I'm very hazy about. Something like CGI or CMI or CIM or GIM ....I briefly looked at my own FSX.cfg and that entry wasn't present anyway. I made a mental note to come back to the thread shortly and add it. But I'm darned if I can now find the post!--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Hello,I think you may be talking about LOD RADIUS under the heading [TERRAIN].Default Setting---------------------LOD_RADIUS=4.500000I run it at the followingLOD_RADIUS=7.500000

This is going to sound really vague, but I hope someone can help as I've been searching for hours and am getting truly frustrated!I'm returning to FSX after a long absence. And I'm a novice user anyway.A couple of days ago I was browsing this and other FSX forums and saw a post recommending a change to the FSX.cfg file under the DISPLAY section. The objective was to get sharper scenery (I'm not sure if that was the default scenery or Horizon VFR Gen-X scenery, if that matters). And a before and after screenshot was shown. All I can remember is that it was to add a line something likexxx=7The '=7' bit I'm positive about (and it was also mentioned that the 'default' value was 3. But the 'xxx' bit I'm very hazy about. Something like CGI or CMI or CIM or GIM ....I briefly looked at my own FSX.cfg and that entry wasn't present anyway. I made a mental note to come back to the thread shortly and add it. But I'm darned if I can now find the post!--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Sounds like you're talking about MipBias. It goes under your graphics card entry in fsx.cfg such as:[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT .0]Mode=1440x900x32Anisotropic=1MipBias=7

Sounds like you're talking about MipBias. It goes under your graphics card entry in fsx.cfg such as:[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT .0]Mode=1440x900x32Anisotropic=1MipBias=7
Thanks guys, appreciate those fast replies.I'm going to try the suggestions from FSXBuster and Mike_CFII_MEL too, but I'm now 99% sure it must have been this one. If so, I was wrong about it being under DISPLAY, and about its label!My entries at present are:[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT.0]Mode=1920x1200x32AntiAlias=1Anisotropic=1So I'll add that extra line and see if I can see any difference.Mike: My entry for LOD_RADIUS seems to be under[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS=4.500000not TEXTURE.--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Thanks guys, appreciate those fast replies.Mike: My entry for LOD_RADIUS seems to be under[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS=4.500000not TEXTURE.--Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Be careful with increasing the LOD_RADIUS beyond 4.5 - it puts a LOT of load on the system :(

Bert

Hi Bert,I found a happy medium between 9.5 and 4.5. At an LOD RADIUS of 7.5 I get 28fps at FSDreamTeams KJFK. That change in-and-of-itself made FSX look 10 times better than any other tweak I've found.

Be careful with increasing the LOD_RADIUS beyond 4.5 - it puts a LOT of load on the system :(

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Yep....Both the LOD radius and mip bias do strain a system, so it depends upon how good your system is.The other thing to bear in mind is that as soon as you adjust the in game display settings, the LOD raidius in the fsx.cfg reverts to 4.5 so has to be changed again manually.On my system anything above mipbias of 6 is too much and anything more than a LOD radius of 5.5 is pushing it a bit. I have managed 6 and 6.5 with default scenry and planes though.The other thing is that you can increase the settings and get great scenery in the country but then find stutters and low framerates when you get to a detailed airport.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Hi Ian,You are correct in regards to the LOD RADIUS resetting to default (4.5) if any changes are made via FSX's display menu screen, that's why any changes I make to the FSX.cfg file is done manually, I do not use FSX's display menu.

Yep....Both the LOD radius and mip bias do strain a system, so it depends upon how good your system is.The other thing to bear in mind is that as soon as you adjust the in game display settings, the LOD raidius in the fsx.cfg reverts to 4.5 so has to be changed again manually.On my system anything above mipbias of 6 is too much and anything more than a LOD radius of 5.5 is pushing it a bit. I have managed 6 and 6.5 with default scenry and planes though.The other thing is that you can increase the settings and get great scenery in the country but then find stutters and low framerates when you get to a detailed airport.IAN