Sign in to follow this  
TC1

About to purchase a new computer

GET a 64bit OS.A 64bit OS was the BEST flight sim add on I ever purchased. If you run any kind of add on airplanes and scenery a 64bit OS is a must have.
Would you care to elaborate on the benefits you saw?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yea, I wouldn't say its the BEST addon...it'll stop MOST OOM crashes...but shouldn't increase performance much, if any...if you did..you had other problems.

I went from Windows 7 RC back to my XP 32bit. XP has generally showed better performance in FSX/FS9/Rise of Flight/DCS Blackshark.For instance: In Rise of Flight and FSX on Windows 7, my Trackir5 movement was extremely "stuttery". I downgraded to WinXP 3 weeks ago, and performance is obviously better in both sims. I even picked up a few frames on average in FS9. This is after months of testing the RC version of Windows 7 with default/custom settings with all types of variables. XP just runs it all better out of the box. That's not to say I won't be upgrading to Win7--it's a freakin' awesome OS. XP just suites my simming/school needs as of now. "YMMV"

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Noting to do with performance but 64bit is much better at managing memory (not to mention you can have as much memory as your mobo can handle).I have NEVER had an OOM error with my 64bit OS. With 32bit OOM erros are a really big problem if your flying high end airliners (such as PMDG).BTW mt old E7500 runs FS9 and FSX Orbx FTX just fine thank you :(

Perhaps I'm just lucky but I don't recall ever having a OOM message. Then again, I don't fly with a conventional panel which uses a lot of memory. As a user of Project Magenta the instruments run on a WideFS PC and I have a full forward view on my main FS PC.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest djt01
There's no evidence FS9 will run any faster in W7 and indeed, may run slower.
No it won't run any faster on Windows 7, but it doesn't run any slower either.On back to back fresh installs of Windows 7 64 and Windows XP/SP2 64-bit I've seen no difference in performance between the two.
My system (a little higher then the rest) really runs fs9 at its max...cant imagine the i7s really doing much better for fs9.
That's what I originally thought to, but I was wrong.I've been running FS9 on both of the machines listed below and without a doubt the i7 machine allows everything maxed out in FS2004's settings without dropping the frame rate below the refresh rate of the monitor. I run FS9 with the frame rate locked at 60fps along with v-sync enabled which is the smoothest your going to get. Sure FSX has the edge with low altitude flight with it's higher resolution texture capability, but it just can't match FS9's completely fluid experience on the right hardware. I'm more into FS9 and FSX as a simulator not the eye candy and nothing spoils practicing approaches worse then FSX's inability to provide completely smooth flight. ASUS Rampage II Extreme (1802 BIOS) Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RTMushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-7-6-18-1N)Asus/ATI 5870 (Catalyst 10.2)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1tyWD VelociRaptor 150GB

Ok, I purchased the new computer. I will be going from a XP Home operating system to a Windows 7 Pro 64 OS. I am going to reload FS9 from grounf zero on to the new hard drive. Is there away to move other program data files without having to do a complete re-installation of my hard drive?Tom

I moved from Vista to Windows 7 and had no problems, but those sytems are very similar. In fact, windows 7 looks and acts like Microsft wanted Vista to operate. God forbid they would have ponied up to their mistakes with Vista. Windows 7 is much more stable. I have had zero problems with it. Good Luck.

"Purchase" ?Hell, I'd never pay for another proprietary machine again. Build you own and you'll never look back. I made the mistake once and bought a Dell. Whatta rip. It's pretty easy, just make sure all of your hardware is compatible. Then you can build it truly the way YOU want it with what parts YOU decide and then later YOU can upgrade it - not so with a prorietary machine.My old rig here I built and am running the 8800GTX for graphics and I'm running FS9 maxed out on the sliders with full ai running and I'm fine. Move into the newer stuff like the guys mentioned earlier and it'll be no sweat at all to run it that way.

OK, I have the new computer and I have reinstalled the 4 FS9 CDs and the FS9.1 patch. Prior to reinstalling my addons, is there any other steps involved in the re-installation of the program? I believe that my next step should to load my FSGenesis software, and then the terrain software.Any recommendations?ThanksTom

I would go ahead and start installing your add-ons. I usually start with GE Pro, FS Genesis, and Ultimate Terrain (in no particular order). Then I move on to the airports I want installed. I usually do airplanes last for some reason.

Christopher Edwards

Thanks, that is how I have reinstall in the past. Just starting to learn Windows 7. I can not find the FS9 configuation file. Most lilely it is a hidden file, and I have yet to figure out how to show hidden files in the new operating system.ThanksTom

In windows explorer go into [Tools] -> [Folder Options] . Then click on View Tabs and make sure show hidden files is marked. The .cfg file is located usually in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9

Christopher Edwards

Can FS( play on a laptop? I have a new samsung R730 3GB 400GB?

Guest Bravo441

Laptops???Ive recently moved in with the missus and we've absolutely no room for my rig. Im having some serious withdrawals so starting to look at Laptops as an alternative solution. Im not at all technical and this has got me burned in the past (when i asked a certain computer salesman if my first computer would run FS he of course said yeah no problem. He got his sale n I got burned)So here I am again looking at the Alienware M17x n I might as well be looking at a cows backside full of thistles!!! I want to run FS9 with Active Sky, Traffic, complex aircraft addon, sceneries n the terrain addons described in earlier posts with 20-30 fps. I dont ask for much...Specs: Intel Core i5 - 520m 2.4Ghz 1gb ATI Radeon HD4879 4gb DDR 3 @ 1333mhz 160 GB 7200rpmAny advice appreciated 441