Sign in to follow this  
Guest jcomm

FS2004 - Some nice little improvements

We've all been beaten over the head with how wonderful the new weather engine is and how great the GPS is and how the ATC is so improved - and that's all true - but here are some little things I've noticed that I haven't seen mentioned before.No "steath tarmac":Remember how so many airports in 2k2 had taxiways and aprons that disappeared as you taxied over them? I haven't seen this happen yet. Sorry Page, looks like you're out of a job :)The mixture control is much improved:In 2k2 you leaned by pulling the mixture until the engine quit then pushing it back up until it restarted. Now the engine won't die the instant you pass the optimum point, it simply loses power (as it should). The engine doesn't die until you pull all the way to idle cutoff. You actually have to watch to EGT - which also seems much improved - to set the proper mixture.Tail draggers:You can actually get the tail to come up during the takeoff run. In 2k2 you had to use full forward stick and force the plane to stay on the ground to make this happen. Most planes would reach flying speed and lift off from the three point position before the tail would come up.Kemper Arena (in KC MO.) is in the right place:This is probably not important to anyone not from the Kansas City area, but 2k2 had Kemper a couple of miles from the correct spot. I found this significant because in previous FS versions, this was exactly the kind of error that would slip into the scenery/nav/airport/etc. database and never get fixed. It's correction means that someone was actively fixing database errors from the previous versions.What has everyone else seen?

How about much like real life-the kneeboard keeps track of every atc phrase uttered. Flying over mountains-especially in afternoon hours cause turbulence.Snow accumulates on runways.The instructor module-take a look at it (kinda hidden). Wait to people discover this!Many more....http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

I was glad to discover that pitot heat does something now. I was flying around in a snow storm (not flying the sim seriously yet) and noticed that my airspeed was showing 0. I turned on the pitot heat and in a minute it was registering correctly.

Ditto on the mountain turbulence, that is very nice!How about...Powerlines and railroads for VFR navigation?Taxi and Landing lights that don't obscure the scenery?AI aircraft that pushback, turn on their lights prior to startup?Road, rail, and rivers that "carve" their way into the scenery? There are a few places where it's still a little rough, but much better than 2002.AI traffic at non-tower airports including closed circuit traffic! That is very nice.Additional AI labels, including some hidden in the FS9.CFG file.Better looking texturesTaxiway signs everywhereImproved coastlinesVery nice dawn and dusk transitionsRotating beacons that can be seen in the far distanceImproved autogen (those fast food restaurants are hilarious!) Nice touch with the gas stations, factories, and billboards.Weather that is localized and visible at each station rather than global weather that changes everywhere instantly.Improved flight models and exterior models for the included aircraft( especially the Learjet)Better sky color, gradient, and haze on the horizon (no more blue band at the horizon).I'm sure there are plenty more, but that's what I can think of right now. There are some things that are not so good, but I'm going with the flow of this thread and giving kudos to MS for a job very well done!Bruce

Most of the airports I've visited so far look much better and are more accurate. I had used FSSE to make corrections to a bunch of terminal buildings in FS2002, and I was worried that those files would not be compatible with FS2004. Now I'm not as concerned...it looks like the MS team fixed it all for me. :)Also there are now yellow lines leading to each parking spot. That's great, but I wonder what's going to happen when someone figures out how to add parking spots. Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]Horizon Air flight plans & scenery:http://sidneyschwartz.homestead.com/index.html

Guest Akflyin

I found the crew facilities in the cabin to be much improved then in FS2K2. The toilet paper actually spins on the rack and there is a better selection of reading material.:D all joking aside, I also think the guys in the Flightsim business have done a great job.Dave

This is a nice thread; a list of the "small" things in COF :)

Guest jcomm

Many many new things indeed. I get across a new one almost each time I play fs2004 for a while.---> Have you noticed the effect of engine anti-ice on the Kingair?---> Pitch stability is just lovely on all of the aircraft I have tested so far too...

Hi,just have it for one day, limited in my flying yet. I noticed there is a setting (in aircraft realism) for G-forces. Since checking that i get the same results as with active camera pro, try kicking the rudder pedals (if you have them) and you'll see what i mean.Saves me an extra addon ! Can't configure the strength of the effect, but G-force default seems right. Someone will find an entry in the configs for it sooner or later...Cheers,Cas

I really like the feature that AI and/or multiplayer aircraft have contrails. And the contrails stay for a while.Also the contrails seem to appear at different altitude. (Depending on weather?)Regards,

Havent done to many flights but have noticed that:1) the Gyro drift now seems to be more realistic when set at min it doesnt need to be adjusted 5 degrees every 5 mins.2) The 172 handles more like a real light a/c and the fact that there seems to be less friction roll on the 172.3) Position and hold is great also I was cleared for an approach the other day into CLE where I was instructed to "side step" to the parrellel.4) When landing at a non controlled airfield you cant be lazy anymore and just announce landing where the pilots voice would announce which runway you now have to choose the landing runway making it where you need to over fly to see which way the wind is blowing by the weather vein or listen for other traffic. Very nice and realistic.5) More things to configure in the Config file like "Virtual Copilot" dont know what that does but find it interesting.6) Door openings make noises.7) Hot key to add fuel which is nice.Plus moreKilstorm

Try flying from KLGA (La Guardia) west over Central Park, down Manhattan, along the coast East to KJFK, and back up the Hudson a bit..The scenery is totally believable, the old crummy bridges are gone, JFK is great.. New York looks awesome!!

Bert

Guest UweR

I really like the new go-to-airport menu functionality where we can select an airport

FSSE is being upgraded to use any GMAX object in FS2004, so it should be much more flexible than ever, if you feel the need to use it. Though that is not an improvement in FS2004 itself, it is because of it. Please keep this thread going. It's great to see a thread with all these positive improvements in Flight Simulator.Tony