Sign in to follow this  
Allan Burek

ASE Destination Winds Incorrect

Well, it seems this is an ongoing problem. I just can't trust the ATIS or ATC to have me directed to the correct runway, based on the surface winds from the METAR. Lately, I've switched to using the default FSX weather engine or REX, and they both consistently give me the correct runway (although they don't look near as good as ASE). I've tried the refresh AI, and various options checked and unchecked, and it just isn't working out. There are so many combinations of options that could be checked or not, that it's become too time consuming for me to test any longer. So, if a solution is developed, I'll give it another shot.

OK, I'm not using any online ATC, but to repeat:1) I have had this problem with being allocated a tailwind landing.2) This did give a head on situation with departing traffic.3) There did appear to be a discrepancy between ASE ATIS in 122.02 and FS ATIS4) Refreshing AI from ASE after placing your aircraft at your departure airport with your flightplan loaded in the ASE Briefing screen does seem to resolve all of the above problems.5) This seems a clear & effective solution.

ngxu_banner.png

I have all the problems mentioned above with wrong winds. No matter what the phase of flight I have incorrect departure, cruise or destination depection inthe CTRL-Z data compared to the metar. This isn't a few degrees off either, as sometimes its completely opposite wind direction.This in turn sends AI down wrong runways since they follow what FSX is getting in the CTRL Z data. An AI refresh won't work if CTRL Z data is still wrong.

Yes I had that too.Do you now Refresh AI frpm ASE after you have placed your aircraft at your departure airport?If you do, you may not see these problems again.If not, I stand corrected.

ngxu_banner.png

Yes I try refreshing AI after starting at the gate and also on approach before landing. It does refresh the AI but puts it back the same way it was because the weather does not change nor the CTRL-Z data.The only way I can get accurate weather at all following METAR is to only fly with DWC on and Global Wind Smooth On. The other way you get disappearing clouds and wrong winds. I certainly hope this is fixed.

HiI noticed that if i look at the Aloft winds for my destination, the windspeed and direction for 3000 ft usually matches what i actually gets from FS ATIS at my destination./Bjorn

I also have these troubles with destination winds being incorrect and I have never been able to remedy the situation.I just tested a new method I cooked up to try and get things accurate, whether others want to try it, feel free but I'm not saying it's the perfect solution, it just works for me.Basically what I did was fire up ASE, make sure DWC is on, put in my flight plan and get ready to go.I take off and fly like usual, weather seems perfect, wind is right, temps are right, clouds are right.150 to 175 nm from my destination is where I do peculiar things that some may not approve of. I alt+enter to windowed mode, open ASE and go to the Winds tab, uncheck DWC and press save. Then I close ASE completely, like press X. Then I restart ASE but now it's not in DWC mode anymore. Once it's up and running a green bar informs me that it's beginning it's initial weather depiction. I go back to ASE and put my flight plan back in, but truthfully this seems to make zero difference on the end result. Sometimes I just leave it out, since I got the briefing when I left anyway.I then press the refresh AI aircraft button, once again I dunno if that actually does anything, but it's there so I use it.Then I minimize ASE and go back to FSX full screen. Now when I get close enough to the airport to get ATIS, lo and behold I'm getting correct information! The winds are very close to the report screen in ASE, maybe off by 2 or 3 degrees and a couple of knots, but very close, pressure is right, temps are right and the best part is they are assigning the correct runways!I realize this is a hassle and it shouldn't be necessary but either my computer is messed up despite reinstalling Windows, FSX and all my addons 3 or 4 times trying to get this to work or ASE is in need of some major overhauling. The program works flawlessly for me in DWC mode except for always assigning the wrong runways. It always assigns the runways according to whatever the wind is at my current location, which is usually about 80 to 100 miles from the airport and usually way too high. We all know surface wind can be a complete 180 from winds aloft so that's where this problem comes in.So, that's my solution for now until the next service pack. I've only tested it a couple of times so I'm not sure if it's 100% but it seems to work for me. The key is turning DWC off when you're close to your destination but not so far away that it can't complete it's initial depiction before you get your runway assignment.I don't know why with DWC off the winds get stuck (FSX was showing 182/9 and ASE was showing 220/62 at cruise) when not using DWC, as soon as DWC was turned on the winds react normally. I don't get it, but I'm no programmer.If anyone decides to try this, good luck!Jeff Calder

Jeff Calder

After numerous unsuccessful attempts to get this resolved, I moved to using another product. I do think ASE provides very good scenery, no doubt, but I want reliable ATIS reports and surface winds, each and every time I fly. Is this not possible, where ASE and FSX ATIS are incompatible? I decided to try again this morning, no DWC. A short flight into KCVG. ASE tells me surface winds are 130 @ 7; FSX ATIS says winds are calm. Apparently others have gone back to AS6.5, but I don't own that. If someone knows for certainty how to get ATIS to work with ASE, please let me know.

I just saw this post and I am having the same troubles with destination winds as well.I posted a similar thread http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=291603 a few days ago since I hadn't seen this one. Jim suggested I move to the latest build of ASE so I downloaded and installed it but still haven't tested it yet. Hopefully it works because I hate the destination winds in FSX not matching what they say in ASE.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm also having some problems with the destination winds being incorrect in FSX (departure winds are always ok).I have gone back from ASE to ActiveSky 6.5, and I'm using FSUIPC for the windsmoothing.The problem is that whenever I'm flying on final approach with e.g. the PMDG B744, I can see the winds coming from all directions. On the ND the windindicator is rotating like a clock, and that causes the airplane to swing from left to right (this also happens when flying in a Cessna).What I would like to know, is how can I completely disable the shifting of the winds through FSUIPC? I would still like to have head- and tailwinds, but not the shifting (i.e. the rotating windindicator on the ND). I just would like to have the wind coming from the right direction.Right now I have a setting of 1 degree/knot per 3 seconds in FSUIPC. Would a change to 60 secs. disable the windshifting?Jon

Hi,Try 5 seconds and 10 seconds and see which is better for you.

Ok, I'll try the 10 secs. option.Do I also need to check the option "Allow changes to FS own weather" in FSUIPC? Not sure what this means.Jon

Can you clarify that?Do you mean that the "Allow changes to FS own weather" option in FSUIPC must not be ticked?Is that the cause of this or other problems because I think I have it ticked in attempt to stop fishtailing due to wind shifts at altitude.

ngxu_banner.png