Sign in to follow this  
sargeski

Windows XP x64, GTX 480, and FSX not a good marriage

Just wanted to give anyone running Windows XP x64 that at present, the GTX 480 will not work with FSX. I took the day off of work today to take delivery of an EVGA GTX 480 SC and its been a baaaaaaaaaaaad day! Noth short of a major headache. FSX will do nothing but crash (blue screen caused by nv4_disp.dll) with the combination of XP x64 and the GTX 480. I noticed that another forum member (PingPong) was having the same issue of constant crashes and the common denominator between us was XP x64 and that all those reporting great success with GTX 400 series cards were running Windows 7.My guess is that not much work is going into the drivers for XP. I did a base install of FSX and Acceleration under Windows 7 to just confirm my suspicions and as I suspected FSX runs flawlessly with the GTX 480/W7 x64 combination.Hopefully this will save others some headaches. Time to start the dance and get everything reinstalled under Windows 7.Regards,Bob

Guest Player2
Just wanted to give anyone running Windows XP x64 that at present, the GTX 480 will not work with FSX. I took the day off of work today to take delivery of an EVGA GTX 480 SC and its been a baaaaaaaaaaaad day! Noth short of a major headache. FSX will do nothing but crash (blue screen caused by nv4_disp.dll) with the combination of XP x64 and the GTX 480. I noticed that another forum member (PingPong) was having the same issue of constant crashes and the common denominator between us was XP x64 and that all those reporting great success with GTX 400 series cards were running Windows 7.My guess is that not much work is going into the drivers for XP. I did a base install of FSX and Acceleration under Windows 7 to just confirm my suspicions and as I suspected FSX runs flawlessly with the GTX 480/W7 x64 combination.Hopefully this will save others some headaches. Time to start the dance and get everything reinstalled under Windows 7.Regards,Bob
WIn7!BTW What was your older card in XP?

don't tell that to the people who ARE running XP64 with the 480. NickN is the first that comes to mind but there are others.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Anyone that has Xp x64 and a 400 Series card working together chime right in. My guess is, in order to get them to work together, if they will, one has to do a fresh OS install along with the installation of a new 400 series card. That is the only route I left untested. Which if is the case, still requires a complete reinstall of FSX as well.

Anyone that has Xp x64 and a 400 Series card working together chime right in. My guess is, in order to get them to work together, if they will, one has to do a fresh OS install along with the installation of a new 400 series card. That is the only route I left untested. Which if is the case, still requires a complete reinstall of FSX as well.
Confirmed! XP 64 clean install TWICE! System service exception with FSX and 480! and yes it has no issues in win 7. Xp has been set up as per Nicks guides to the letter, and I'm by no means new at it. I've probably set up 8 maybe 9 systems in the last two years for FSX. So yes it's looking like a driver issue- my memory dump is hinting to the NV4 disp.dll. I had to revert to my trusty GTX 285 for the time being, and I was VERY close to returning the 480- seems like I'll be patient, and wait for a driver, since reports are starting to trickle in.There is also a thread in the nvidia forums regarding this issue HERE:http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=166258I posted a reply ther as well, so we can get the ball rolling on a decent driver revision for XP Pro 64bit. Yes win 7 has no such issue, but I prefer XP for FSX, as I use a multi monitor setup with a th2go. Win 7 has issues with FSX with three monitors, (black screens-spikes) which don't reveal themselves on a single monitor. C'mon chime in fellas. anyone else?

It should work just fine. You must have a driver issue. And check into the ******* tweaks.

Hey vyper883,I'll reconfirm. I did a clean install of XP x64 on my QX9650 machine with the GTX 480 installed. Exact same result on that machine FSX crashes every time with a system service exception and the faulting module is nv4_disp.dll. The current Nvidia driver for XP x64 is definitely fubared.On a positive note, I'm well on my way now to my reinstall of FSX on Windows 7 and I must say I very pleased with the GTX 480 and plesantly suprised at how well FSX runs under Windows 7.

The eVGA 480GTX SC is working well on Vista 64 here with the 197.41 drivers. No problems with installation or use so far.Looks like that's an XP thing.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

The eVGA 480GTX SC is working well on Vista 64 here with the 197.41 drivers. No problems with installation or use so far.Looks like that's an XP thing.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
Thanks Sargesi, and Bob. I guess we'll have to hold out until nvidia refines their win XP 64 drivers. At least we know that the card itself is not likely at fault. Cheers! :)

Thanks for the heads up. I recently just completed a new i7 930 system, and was conflicted between keeping my current XP 64 OS or just starting fresh with Win7. I went with XP64 since it is what I am familiar with and I am afraid of things breaking in Win7 for all my addons, I'm glad I made that decision. I have a GTX 260, but I am considering one of the new fangled Nvidia or ATI 1 gb or more GPUs, but I do not want to install Win7 for the immediate future, so I think I will wait till the nvidia drivers fix the XP64 issue before I purchase a new GPU.

Have you tried running FSX in one of the compatibility modes? Sometimes that helps.
We're talking windows xp 64bit here. Not Win7 or Vista. There is no compatability mode in XP that you would want to try FSX with, since FSX was based and built on the XP kernel.

DITTO - Win7. Soooooooooooooooooooooooo much better - I promise. You won't believe it.fb

Bob,

Just wanted to give anyone running Windows XP x64 that at present, the GTX 480 will not work with FSX.
Have you updated your WinXP x64 to SP2 or newer?