Sign in to follow this  
Squishy

FSX world scaling

It's still pretty amazing that the sim is that good that we can make comparison shots like that where small features like that pond are actually recognizable!
Yeah I agree. I was pretty surprised how similar that area with photo scenery looks compared to your realworld shot. Had I actually taken some time with the zoom levels and alititude I could have probably made it look even closer. However, when autogen is placed on top of it, it makes it a lot easier to see that the autogen is a little out of scale.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

In slew mode you can quite accurately judge your altitude and position when you keep those mountains in the upper left corner in sight.But I agree with you that the difference between FSX scenery and the real world is not that much.(well actually my guess is that FSX scenery is about 30 to 50 % too big)It would be nice to get it that little bit more real.

Hi.Every since i started using FS a long time ago I always thought that the world scaling in FS was way off.. Firstly the POV of the default VC view is way too narrow/zoomed in and doesn't come close to the view of the average human. To fix this I always zoom out to 0.50 (depends on A/C and resolution). However now the view of the pilot doesn't scale at all with the world.
There is 'yet another' undocumented feature in the fsx.cfg file. [MAIN]ViewCompression=0.6050000190734863The above is the DEFAULT value, so.. NO IDEA if changing it to 1.0 will make things any different.

There is 'yet another' undocumented feature in the fsx.cfg file. [MAIN]ViewCompression=0.6050000190734863The above is the DEFAULT value, so.. NO IDEA if changing it to 1.0 will make things any different.
so lets try

Considering our eyes see over 180 degrees field of view, and we're looking at a tiny screen in FSX it's natural to assume the viewpoint...Comparing FSX with still camera photos and motion picture videos is also not a good way to go about adjusting viewpoint for comparison, as different lenses have different fields of view. (Coming from a movie background I could start talking about prime lenses etc etc etc)Anyway there is a setting in the FSX.cfg called wideview=1/0, you may want to try turning that setting off and on and see what your thoughts are... Also you may really want to go for a triplehead2go breakout box as that will help a lot with immersion...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

Considering our eyes see over 180 degrees field of view, and we're looking at a tiny screen in FSX it's natural to assume the viewpoint...Comparing FSX with still camera photos and motion picture videos is also not a good way to go about adjusting viewpoint for comparison, as different lenses have different fields of view. (Coming from a movie background I could start talking about prime lenses etc etc etc)Anyway there is a setting in the FSX.cfg called wideview=1/0, you may want to try turning that setting off and on and see what your thoughts are... Also you may really want to go for a triplehead2go breakout box as that will help a lot with immersion...
----------------------Dean- as I understand TH2Go, it simply takes View Forward and stretches it across three monitors. Since each FS View is a 45

I have inserted this in my FSX.CFG in the MAIN-section and I changed and tried value 0.9 and 0.1 but nothing happened. I didn't see any difference in the view point or field of view. Someone else tried this?I did some screenshots for comparison which shows my problem. I am using 6060x1200 pixel. The ratio is 6060/1200 = 5.05 lets say 5. FSX somewhere seems to have a fixed FOV which works fine for 16:9 or 16:10 displays and the stretched distortion on the edge of the displays is not annoying at all. But when using Wideview modus with my resolution, the distortion looks like this (please note the zoom level on the right top corner).Examples WideViewAspect=True with big distortion at zoom level 0.3 (bad looking):2010-5-18_0-56-11-71pwyw.jpg http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=2010-5-14_1-16-42-28zm83.jpg' target="_blank">2010-5-14_1-16-42-28zm83.jpg

"You immediately will recognize the differences." Sorry, i don't see no differences.Maybe you uploaded the wrong pictures?And there are 3 pictures so which are true or false?Last thought; i find it strange that True or False makes such a difference in fps. That's good to remember and check out.

Look at the three last images I posted (comparison).1. picture (1_copilot-widescreen-zlmmm.jpg) = Wideview mode ON with zoom level 1.322. picture (3_copilot-widescreen-zmjtc.jpg) = Wideview mode ON with zoom level 1.53. picture (2_copilot-nowidescreen4k3s.jpg) = Wideview mode OFF with zoom level 0.3You will see that second and third picture is quite the same view. But the last picture is the best, because I have more FPS as I don't use Widescreen mode.

OK.One of these days I'll check out if it makes any difference on my computer. :(

I know it is an old topic, but here one can see no difference in ViewCompression= 0.1/0.6/1/10

I'm just going to disagree with this, I believe it is the refraction from the atmosphere that causes the light to bend in a way that the moon appears larger near the horizon, not your eyes playing tricks on you, but the light waves playing tricks on all of us.
. Extend arm , cover Moon with thumb. Do it with Moon at horizon and at zenith. Same angular size.Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Why is everyone underlining their replies?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator