Currently using the 257.21 driver and FSX crashes a lot. Even with a few ******* tweaks.The 257.21 driver will in no way save any settings!Any ideas? Yes I let FSX rebuild the fsx.cfg file.Tweaks using are -[GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1[bUFFERPOOLS]USEPOOLS=0 (1 crashes also (used without POOLSIZE))POOLSIZE=10000000[JOBSCHEDULER]AFFINITYMASK=15This 480 is quiet and cool. I was surprised.

Currently using the 257.21 driver and FSX crashes a lot. Even with a few ******* tweaks.The 257.21 driver will in no way save any settings!Any ideas? Yes I let FSX rebuild the fsx.cfg file.Tweaks using are -[GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1[bUFFERPOOLS]USEPOOLS=0 (1 crashes also (used without POOLSIZE))POOLSIZE=10000000[JOBSCHEDULER]AFFINITYMASK=15This 480 is quiet and cool. I was surprised.
I have now crashed twice with the 257.21. It may or may not be the driver, not sure. I am swapping out my ram today or tomorrow to see if that might be the reason, but if that does not do the trick, I will roll back to the beta. All in all, I think it is a driver issue but I don't know. What do you think?
This 480 is quiet and cool. I was surprised.
Yeah, that is really something. I expected a furnace, but it acts quite cool and quiet. I read somewhere that the earlier 480 gtx reference cards released by Nvdia for the launch and publically benchmarked may have run much hotter than the more recent ones being sold by partners like EVGA.Stephen

This 480 is quiet and cool. I was surprised.
My evga stock 480 run quiet, but too quiet given the circumstances. The bios fan control only speeds up when temps get around 80 C. That doesn't seem aggressive enough to me especially during summer conditions when I already have loud airconditioners and fans whirring all around me. I downloaded MSI afterburner to change the automatic fan profile. Now I can keep the temps around 70 C at 60 percent fan running FS9 (approx. 40 percent GPU load).I would take a second look at temps. Your superclock might be a better (cooler) binning however.

The only time my GTX470 and now my GTX480 had crashed FSX was when my video card overclock was not completely stable. However that was with the original 197.41 drivers. I just installed last night the 257.21 but havent had the time yet to try FSX with it.Are you running your card at stock speeds?

The only time my GTX470 and now my GTX480 had crashed FSX was when my video card overclock was not completely stable. However that was with the original 197.41 drivers. I just installed last night the 257.21 but havent had the time yet to try FSX with it.Are you running your card at stock speeds?
Me yes.
My evga stock 480 run quiet, but too quiet given the circumstances. The bios fan control only speeds up when temps get around 80 C. That doesn't seem aggressive enough to me especially during summer conditions when I already have loud airconditioners and fans whirring all around me. I downloaded MSI afterburner to change the automatic fan profile. Now I can keep the temps around 70 C at 60 percent fan running FS9 (approx. 40 percent GPU load).I would take a second look at temps. Your superclock might be a better (cooler) binning however.
temps are fine even when using other utility programs to check themI am thinking that the drivers are the issue. nVidia's forum is down. I wonder if they are getting an excessive amount of negative comments about the drivers. I know I would have left one. lol

Hey McCrash I have the same card, It crashes all the time with BP=0, so I stopped using it, also one thing I really noticed with these new drivers is NOT to uninstall the old ones, just get any new ones and install right over top of the old ones, I would suggest just running the 257.21 installer over again. Here are some of my cfg entries[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14[bufferPools]UsePools=1RejectThreshold=262144 PoolSize=5242880[Display]TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30TextureMaxLoad=30[TERRAIN]MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=2MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21try them out if you like, but the 480 is finally starting to perform for me.

Some good news!Well for my new 480 I used the dvd that came with it. I installed DirectX 10/11 from it and rebooted. Then installed the drivers from the dvd, which are 197.55, and rebooted. Then I tried nHancer 2.5.9 and it works. Also I can make changes in the nVidia control panel and they are saved. I guess I will wait for newer 200.## series drivers.

[bUFFERPOOLS]USEPOOLS=0 POOLSIZE=10000000
McCrash,Why do you use both settings? My understanding is that if you use:[bufferPools]poolsize=0...there should be no poolsize allotment.Stephen

McCrash,Did you follow Nick's tweak guide?Nhancer does not work with the latest drivers.What OS, specs, etc are you using?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

McCrash,Why do you use both settings? My understanding is that if you use:[bufferPools]poolsize=0...there should be no poolsize allotment.Stephen
That's what happens when you cut and paste. lol

That's what happens when you cut and paste. lol
I've done worse, like cutting and pasting from old cfg files and included the wrong information on which video card to render from. By the way, did you try it without the double bufferpools entry?Stephen

I've done worse, like cutting and pasting from old cfg files and included the wrong information on which video card to render from. By the way, did you try it without the double bufferpools entry?Stephen
Yes!I am not impressed yet. I think noVidia needs to work on their drivers.FSX (sp2) does not run any better, nor look any better, with this 480 than with my 295. Strange!

Yes!I am not impressed yet. I think noVidia needs to work on their drivers.FSX (sp2) does not run any better, nor look any better, with this 480 than with my 295. Strange!
A 295 is basically two gtx 280s which is 480 cores(both GPUs are employed to some degree when using BP=0) which is what the 480 has(albeit with higher memory speeds), so I am not too suprised by this.

Hey McCrash I have the same card, It crashes all the time with BP=0, so I stopped using it, also one thing I really noticed with these new drivers is NOT to uninstall the old ones, just get any new ones and install right over top of the old ones, I would suggest just running the 257.21 installer over again. Here are some of my cfg entries[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14[bufferPools]UsePools=1RejectThreshold=262144 PoolSize=5242880[Display]TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30TextureMaxLoad=30[TERRAIN]MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=2MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21try them out if you like, but the 480 is finally starting to perform for me.
ianbeggsI assume your not using nHancer.I tried these settings with the current driver 197.55 and the sim is just terrible. I am going to try the 2##.## series drivers now.What settings are you using in the nVidia Control Panel?Also do the settings save in the nVidia Control Panel?Whey I first tried the newer driver I could not get any settings to stick.

Guys, I am using the 480/257.21 combo and NickN's cheater nHancer work around. http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=34873.I have just spent two nights trying to break/crash FSX flying the pmdg 747x. I mean I am throwing everything at it. All sliders right, crazy crazy traffic levels, toggling to full windowed mode and back countless times, cycling thru UT2 AI (press "A") planes in the air/ground/where ever. Pumping up TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT to 800 (don't know what I'm doing here BTW), TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096. It will not die. Wait a minute, am I talking about FSX here - the one I was cursing before the 480 and the Hey-sus tweak? YES (I can get FSX to crash using the UT2 command to "clear approach". Might be limited to my setup (doubt it though). I can faithfully reproduce this crash).I did notice and commented a little while back that I had to reduce my overclock by approx ~0.1-.2ghz. I suspect (and don't really know) that the increased bandwith with the 480/257.21 caused the instability.With a large sigh of RELIEF, I have placed the "CONFIGURATION FROZEN" sticker on the box and promised "NO MORE TWEAKING" (for now - hehe)Ok, BOTTOM LINE (For now)1) the 480 absolutely rocks. FPS gains did not meet my expectations but it allows higher settings overall and is killer smooth2) the 257.21 drivers are rock freaking solid, smooth as silk, stable3) nHancer is not required (for now)4) NVidia/Hey-sus/NickN co-winners of FSX person of the year!!5) In the link above, NickN recommnends that LESS IS MORE in the fsx.cfg!!! I am enjoying TONS of success with only adding 2 (TWO) extra lines - HiMemFix=1 and RejectThreshold=98304. THAT IS IT. ONLY. SIMPLY. NO MORE NO LESS.Your Experience Might Vary