Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

You have to leave your home state or...country...

....and check out the rest of the FSX world, lol!I am presently flying over and exploring the mountains near Milan, Italy. My gosh, there's years of interest left in FSX to explore, regardless of if Microsoft announced another flight sim or not. With UTX Europe covering the landscape, and everything cranked to the max in my Scenery Tab, the country of Italy is beautifully rendered. Take a flight off of 36R in Milan, and head out towards the mountains. You'll find a large river ending into a large lake nestled in a mountain valley as you come up and slightly over this range. This area is great for VFR!Enjoy,Mitch

Thanks! We need more posts like this, I'm always open to new sightseeing routes. Any other suggestions?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Guest 413X3

as long as there is addon scenery for the area, roads shorelines, landclass, mesh, I will gladly fly. But UT has spoiled me for years because a lot of the world isn't covered.

I did a flight the other day from Monastir in Tunisia (airport scenery provided by Aerosoft) to Gibraltar. My goodness, flying over North Africa and crossing the Mediterranean to Gibraltar was such an awesome experience. My next flight will be Milan Malpensa to Cairo.By the way, if you buy the Swiss Pro X scenery, it will photoreal the mountains around Milan as well, it would be 10x more realistic (not to mention, flying in Switzerland is a phenomenal experience)

....and check out the rest of the FSX world, lol!I am presently flying over and exploring the mountains near Milan, Italy. My gosh, there's years of interest left in FSX to explore, regardless of if Microsoft announced another flight sim or not. With UTX Europe covering the landscape, and everything cranked to the max in my Scenery Tab, the country of Italy is beautifully rendered. Take a flight off of 36R in Milan, and head out towards the mountains. You'll find a large river ending into a large lake nestled in a mountain valley as you come up and slightly over this range. This area is great for VFR!Enjoy,Mitch
Thanks Mitch- sometimes I fly LSZH (Zurich) to LIMA (Milan), which is a very short flight for a jet at least, and over some of the best mountain scenery.Also, try (in New Zealand- my country of birth): NZCH (Christchurch) to NZHK (Hokitika), a flightplan you could try would be NZCH-YW-AVOCA-BELEE-APASA-HK-NZHK (there is no published STAR at NZHK so you may have to do a procedure turn outbound from HK). A smaller version of the Swiss/Italian Alps, the Southern Alps.Thanks, Bruce.

Something I like to do is fly from Anchorage, Alaska to Dutch Harbor (scenery of the latter by Aerosoft) in the Aerosoft Catalina or Twotter without the aid of GPS and with real weather. Can get a bit nerve-wracking when your instruments tell you you're there but because of the clouds you can't see squat!

Do I leave my home state or country?Very rarely, no... I have regularly flown areas, such as New England and central Tennessee, I've stuck to these areas primarily because I am familiar with them.For me, simulating a flight over my neck of the woods, being able to see landmarks, roads, rivers, and shorelines I am familiar with connects me far more to the simulation than if I was flying in a super-scenic, yet unfamiliar landscape.For this reason, I haven't (and probably won't) buy any of the Orbx scenery enhancement products until such time as they cover an area I am interested in. Based on all accounts, the Orbx systems are 110% AWESOME scenery addons, but because I don't fly in Australia or the Pacific Northwest, I'd probably fly out there once or twice, drool over the beautiful scenery, then I'd never visit the area again. Same goes for airport addons.... I purchased FlyTampa's KBOS because it is smack-dab in my flying areas, however there are many other airports which exist that I have no interest in purchasing because I will not get anywhere near the enjoyment out of them that I should for the price I would have paid. Likewise, I'd pay richly for scenery packages which enhanced the areas I fly in.... (you hear that, FlightScenery! KPVD!)Occasionally I will branch out from my normal haunts and head to more scenic areas, such as the Rockies, the Grand Canyon, the Andes or the Alps, etc.... but this is a very rare occurrence. I'll also fly around any areas I'm visiting for the first time on vacation, too... that can be fun. But primarily, I stick to what I know. Flying over a known landscape helps immerse me more into the game, knowing that landmark X is over here, and landmark Y is off my right wing, etc.

Guest TomOOO
I think you are flying over lake Como - very beautiful there (in real life). Try around Annecy in France, then fly up over the mountains toGeneva.

One of the nicest areas for VFR flying that I know about is the Tongass Fjords in Alaska, covered by Tongass X from FSAddon.Leave the GPS at home and see if you can find all the cabins, seaplane bases, helipads, and airstrips by visual navigation. Ed Truthan's Google Earth overlay is a great tool to find interesting places in the area to visit: http://www.tongassge.com/

Flying 'home' areas is great but I cant imagine not using FSX to see the rest of the world. A group of us are currently in South America, (Rio to be exact) on leg 20 of a 49 leg 'round the world' flight. Just flying up the coast, seeing the harbor, mountains, statue, etc as the sun sets will take your breath away, and this is with STOCK scenery. This is the 4th RTW flight in 3 years and each and every one has been awesome. Add real world weather, dusk, T storms, unfamiliar airports, and a group of planes with real pilots, and you have an experiance to remember!

Jay

Europe puts me to sleep anytime I fly over there. I love flying in Australia, New Zealand, and all of the Indo-Pacific islands. Canada is beautiful too. There are also some areas in South America that I find to be nice. You definitely do miss out on a lot if you stay around home.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png