Sign in to follow this  
Guest meirumeiru

retard in "white" autopilot mode

Just from what I've seen on my dvd's, normally I see them cleaing up the aircraft (retracting flaps, spoilers and such) after they bring in the reversers (around 80-60 knots). Some wait until off the runway. I'm sure different companies have their own SOP but I don't think it would matter much in a heavy after speed is reduced below 60knots. In lighter aircraft it becomes more of an actual issue I would think, since taxi'ing (not sure how to spell it there) in winds with full flaps or even 10 degrees could flip the AC.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

In lighter aircraft it becomes more of an actual issue I would think, since taxi'ing (not sure how to spell it there) in winds with full flaps or even 10 degrees could flip the AC.
Not to hijack.... but....You will learn all about that in the quest for your PPL Dan! He%20He.gif

<--------------->
Mike Murawski

When nose wheel down, raise flaps, engage reverse.At 80 knots, engines idle, touch brakes to disengage auto-brakes, retract spoilers. Disengage AP and ATS.Turn off runway at next available exit.
This is not the best procedure to operate the MD-11, or other heavies, at least the ones I'm familiar with (A340 / A330).You do NOT raise the flaps after the nose wheel is down (that's a single engine piston procedure), nor at 80 knots, not even with ice or slush present. Wait for this until vacating the runway and doing the after landing flow. Furthermore it is NOT a good idea to go to idle thrust and retract the spoilers at 80kts. One thing is you're still busy with deceleration, so anything not necessary should not be done at that time. The other thing, engines do produce quite some thrust even at idle. So that's the last thing you want when still doing 80kts. First you engage idle reverse immediately at main wheel touchdown, and then apply full reverse if desired as soon as the reverse has unlocked. Then the idea is to gradually reduce reverse thrust at 80kts so that you are at IDLE REVERSE when reaching 60kts. This means if full reverse is desired, you normally keep that until 80kts.When at 60kts in idle reverse you keep that until reaching taxi speed, and then reverse off. That way you don't have forward idle thrust until reaching taxi speed.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

I recognise that I am not strictly following SOP, but think my changes are minor and considered. Unless landing on a short or wet runway, I do not like to engage reverse until all wheels are down exactly because I am busy landing the plane, and when the nose does come down, I might see something that makes me want to bolt that was not visible when the mains touched. Delaying the use of idle gives me that option while reducing workload at time of max stress, at the cost of longer roll out. Re Flaps, I have heard good positive arguments both ways, but very few negative arguments. Nobody has said "it is bad to do it then because ...". I like the argument that in steady deceleration, you are observing rather then acting so have the time to start the clean up. In otherwise ideal conditions, starting to raise the flaps at 80knts is near the end of their aerodynamic effectivness and slightly improves braking performance without introducing other restrictions.I like to manage the transition from 80knts to taxi myself, but completely understand and accept SOPs that prefer a more automated approach. Much as I feel my way is the "right way" I would be very reluctent to suggest it is the only way or even the best way. I do feel it gives the advantages I have stated, and I am not aware of drawbacks, but that says more about my lack of knowledge then the quality of my procedures.

Touché. Normal (as per tutorial) startup and configuration. Init page LSZH/LSZH, Crz 80, CI 80.Flight plan, add way point ZUE. Add SID ZUE1R. Add STAR TRA1Z. Delete discontinuities. Remove the excurision to AMIKI. Take off. Engage AP passing 400 AGL. At cruise, adjust ALT to 4,000, set brakes to med. On approach, lower flaps and gear as indicated.When Loc alive, press APPR.When nose wheel down, raise flaps, engage reverse.At 80 knots, engines idle, touch brakes to disengage auto-brakes, retract spoilers. Disengage AP and ATS.Turn off runway at next available exit.
There is alot of this that simply is wrong. However, I'm just wondering if this whole "my thrust wont retard" discussion stems from not pressing APP/LAND button when approaching the FAF (final approach fix). Can you confirm that your problems still persist when you press APP/LAND (not neccessairly with AP engaged)? You should expect to have GS armed in the PFD announciator, and as you are descending on the GS, FLARE should be armed. I thought these things were simply connected with the APP/LAND function.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

There is alot of this that simply is wrong. However, I'm just wondering if this whole "my thrust wont retard" discussion stems from not pressing APP/LAND button when approaching the FAF (final approach fix). Can you confirm that your problems still persist when you press APP/LAND (not neccessairly with AP engaged)? You should expect to have GS armed in the PFD announciator, and as you are descending on the GS, FLARE should be armed. I thought these things were simply connected with the APP/LAND function.
Selecting APP/LAND is not a requirement for the ATS Retard mode.Works for me in all approaches, including non-precision and visuals.As someone stated above, it is important in this aircraft to have the FMS uptodate and sequenced.Regards,Harry