Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

Name signing rule

:biggrin:I was gonna say something but she might be reading this, aaargh paranoia!!

Rob Prest

I understand the internet privacy thing and all that, but I think we are missing the point here. It's a FLIGHT SIM forum. There are no PIN numbers, addresses, next of kin, hat size, etc listed here. As a law enforcement professional involved in counter terrorism I'll say that if Osama Bin Laden is going to come into these forums, figure out where I live, raid my house, impregnate my cat and steal my checkbook which would avail him and his network to my prized -$72.59 which is currently in there, more power to him :(

Bill Howard

pmdg_trijet.jpg

My take on the rule, or more specifically, the enforcement of the rule is that reminding people of the rule when they first post is probably the most useful. So, guy asks "Why won't the engine start, I just bought this." and you could say: RTFM or Give me your name, or here's why and please post your name. My non-scientific recollection is that 95% of the people either post a reply with their name or insert the name into the signature (which then relates back to all their other posts). I think this is especially true when they get an answer and a reminder. In this way, it is win-win: the guy gets his answer, might become a more regular participant and the rules are met. I don't think it needs to be more difficult than this. My first post I didn't include a name (my bad), and Dan Downs replied that he would give me the answer if I posted my name. I did, and he gave me the answer and I'm still here for some reason....Now, I'm kind of two minds as to whether this approach has any real effect on anything other than civility. Since we all know each other's name, we're unlikely to be confrontational, at least we would hope so. I think this board has a pretty nice collection of regulars that dispense advice. As for the other idea that names prevent priracy, I'll have to rely on PMDG's assertions there. If a guy with a pirated copy asked a question, how would any of us (non-PMDGers) know, as we don't have a customer list? The other thing I would say in defense of self-policing is that Ryan could just go through and delete posts without names, even those with answers. What good is that? All that body of support erased? So, the self-policiing does help those who post a lot of answers ensure that the answers stay here, for the value of everyone.

I understand the internet privacy thing and all that, but I think we are missing the point here. It's a FLIGHT SIM forum. There are no PIN numbers, addresses, next of kin, hat size, etc listed here. As a law enforcement professional involved in counter terrorism I'll say that if Osama Bin Laden is going to come into these forums, figure out where I live, raid my house, impregnate my cat and steal my checkbook which would avail him and his network to my prized -$72.59 which is currently in there, more power to him :(
I have to quote this because I'm just walking in the house and reading this page for the first time since this morning but the last hour I was talking to my sister partially about this but mostly about a common interest we share, serial killers haha. Both her and I spent countless hours studying them and she's the one with the medical degree but said pretty much the same as Bill, almost word for word. She basically said, "Ok, so in picking my next victim, I'm going to spend my time at an aviation bulletin board to pick my target, over all the places I could be looking where there are often pictures that show the subjects surroundings, natural habitat, and personal details to help me get more personal with them?" Haha, I agree of course with both her and Bill. I know this is the more of the extremes about names but being that it was just 90 seconds from us talking and seeing this, had to share since I thought it was pretty cool :(@ Doug, I have done things in that way before with the "Sign your name first and I will answer" method. I've used it a few times actually, but after a responce (a pm from the gentleman I was corresponding with) it reminded me I was carrying over frustration from other individuals to someone that didn't deserve it. Of course, Dan nor I meant it to read that way, but it can be demeaning or taken that way so no I longer do that, and don't think I've seen Dan do it either for eons. It can be read as a power trip from some. I didn't mean to make it sound that way but after re-reading my post in his eyes could only agree with everything he said to me. It's annoying when I start off with the "Please sign, thanks" then answer their issue (or try to) in the same post to have them come back with the problem resolved, and no name. The point here is everyone is an individual and should each be given the chance to do as they will. Some will never answer, some will just reply, "no on the name" and leave, but most (90% or so) merely missed the rule and didn't know and no harm was done and they were grateful for the headsup as well as the answer.My take helping others or forum support in general is; it's not up to me to judge and in following the golden rule of "treat others the way you want to be treated" it is just the way I would prefer.In example, I left a message over a week ago in a certain forum and after 4 days of nothingness finally got a reply from the Developer. He didn't say a word about what I asked even though it was as polite a post as I could write. He just said "Have you checked the FAQ?" Of course I did yeah, but how is that an answer of any kind? ESPECIALLY since nother even remotely close was in their FAQ. My point being now after answer what I already mentioned in my 1st post there will have to wait a few more days for the lazy idiot to get around to answer me, and highly doubt he even will.I just don't think it's right to make people wait for an answer since a HUGE amount of posts here and everywhere are issues from non-forum savvy people, and most of the time whether they are or not, have lives and who wants to spend the small amount of time some people have for their hobby, having to wait days on end for a fix to their issue?What burns my bridges in other forums, is 1st of all I paid for the product. 2nd of all, I DESERVE support and think everyone does. Not when they feel like it, or whined to if I miss a post from a month ago (a post that far ago in this forum could be back 100's of pages) and even if I miss the FAQ. If I am told to RTFM it better be meant as Fine! And a more helpfull approach that I see pretty my everyone do here that I think is outstanding is to give the answer and where it was in the manual. Of course that is going to the extreme and applaud those that do it alllll the time here! Basically, I should be talked to as a human being 1st and foremost. After time goes by, they can learn more advanced features like search functions etc... There are many different forum searches, this one I feel is the better of the bunch, but some are just aweful and a paying customer should never have to deal with the crap I am currently in that other forum or many or us have seen too many times.It's actually easier to be helpful than to be a jerk I think, and what goes around comes around in both the bad as well as the good and it's very rewarding too.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier