Sign in to follow this  
crash_continental

Last ditch effort

Just wanted to know how you can get OOM errors on XP 32 bit with the 3G switch installed and FS9.exe as large address aware. What other things can trigger it despite these safeguards?I haven't been able to fix my OOM errors for the last 3 months, and facing the thought of reinstalling FS2004 with all my payware add-ons... must say, just doesn't feel worth it. Crazy, I know, with all the money invested, but the huge effort involved just makes me balk. I've done everything... even reinstalled original textures. Nothing works. It's so frustrating that I have almost no interest in simming anymore. Even with all my scenery disabled I'm still getting them! Completely out of ideas.... thanks for any last help.- daniel

Just wanted to know how you can get OOM errors on XP 32 bit with the 3G switch installed and FS9.exe as large address aware. What other things can trigger it despite these safeguards?I haven't been able to fix my OOM errors for the last 3 months, and facing the thought of reinstalling FS2004 with all my payware add-ons... must say, just doesn't feel worth it. Crazy, I know, with all the money invested, but the huge effort involved just makes me balk. I've done everything... even reinstalled original textures. Nothing works. It's so frustrating that I have almost no interest in simming anymore. Even with all my scenery disabled I'm still getting them! Completely out of ideas.... thanks for any last help.- daniel
HelloInstall XP64, set up as per N.Needhams guideNo more OOM's

Guest belga1

Hello,

Can you install XP 64 over XP 32? Would I have to reinstall FS2004?
AFAIK XP64 is a another beast than XP32 :( This imply not only a reinstall of FS2004 .. but instead a format of your hard disk and installation of the new OS (Windows XP SP3 64 ) :( Regards.bye.gifGus.

4GB would leave nothing for the operating system to function on.....I would advise you to get a 64bit O/S as well.Since I went 64bit I have not had any OOM errors.

Thanks guys, I understand your point.My whole thing is, I just can't stand the thought of spending the countless hundreds of hours getting the program to run again with all my add-ons, like I did a few years ago when I changed my system. Complete nightmare - I just can't do it again. To be honest, with all the OOM errors I've gotten over the last few years (had it solved for the longest time... then for some reason, they cropped up again) the whole flight simulation thing has gotten less and less enjoyable. Seems like a lot of wasted money now, unfortunately. I can't unpgrade my op system because I write and record music on it, and with all the plug-ins I have for that (many of them no longer available) I would lose many of my projects.I was hoping for a tip that would allow me to fix the problems I have now, but it seems that that's not possible. I may one day get fired-up enough to undertake the whole disaster again (wipe and reinstall FS2004), or I might just wait to see what kind of effort Microsoft brings out in Flight! Who knows.Meanwhile, I'll just spend more time (and a hell of a lot more money) on my real world flying. Even if it does break the bank, the Cessna never gives a OOM error when I'm turning final!Hey altstiff, I see you're from Toronto as well, and from your avatar that you may have your PPL too. I fly from Buttonville - where do you fly from?- daniel

Thanks guys, I understand your point.My whole thing is, I just can't stand the thought of spending the countless hundreds of hours getting the program to run again with all my add-ons, like I did a few years ago when I changed my system. Complete nightmare - I just can't do it again. To be honest, with all the OOM errors I've gotten over the last few years (had it solved for the longest time... then for some reason, they cropped up again) the whole flight simulation thing has gotten less and less enjoyable. Seems like a lot of wasted money now, unfortunately. I can't unpgrade my op system because I write and record music on it, and with all the plug-ins I have for that (many of them no longer available) I would lose many of my projects.I was hoping for a tip that would allow me to fix the problems I have now, but it seems that that's not possible. I may one day get fired-up enough to undertake the whole disaster again (wipe and reinstall FS2004), or I might just wait to see what kind of effort Microsoft brings out in Flight! Who knows.Meanwhile, I'll just spend more time (and a hell of a lot more money) on my real world flying. Even if it does break the bank, the Cessna never gives a OOM error when I'm turning final!Hey altstiff, I see you're from Toronto as well, and from your avatar that you may have your PPL too. I fly from Buttonville - where do you fly from?- daniel
Hello DanielIt is possible to change your OS , just buy another HD and dual boot if you would rather keep your existing install as it is.This has the advantage of keeping your working FS install and allowing you to gradually rebuild a new install on the new disk as time and enthusiasm allows.Your sim will run better and you will have the side benefit of being able to disk image each OS disk to the other one for safety.you are now covered for when disaster strikes (it will) your music plugins and software setup will never be lost this way.A 64 bit OS is the answer but it will require a little bit of effort on your part.

Hi mad dog,Hey thanks. I might just do that. It'll have to be in a little while (not only is flying expensive, but my girlfriend and I have just purchased a lakeside cottage, making the budget very tight). I recently spent my computer money on a new graphics card and heatsink - it'll be a while before anything else gets purchased. But the suggestion looks like the best option I may have. Thanks,- daniel

I've done everything... even reinstalled original textures.
Not sure if the above included making sure you don't have any empty Texture folders in the Addon Scenery folder. KJ

There is a possibility your hard drive might be going. I have had OOM's in FS9 caused by bad bgl's. Good one day, bad the next. I saw them with increasing frequency until I replaced my system (about eighteen months ago). I have not seen them since.It's not something you would want to happen, and I hope it is not true in your case, but there is that possibility.Regards,John