Sign in to follow this  
awais1407

I've finally switched to using VC mode

Hi Adrian-mate :( I too sit well below the resting place of my Track IR unit and I think it actually enhances your experience. If you were at the same height as the actual IR receiver you would disconnect or lose its line of sight easier. I can sit up in my chair and rarely break contact. This isn't an issue anyway and doesn't cause problems.I have lost patience over the years with both hardware and software so that said, the only problem I had was taking the needed few minutes to learn the GUI and that was really pretty painless. My TrackIR profile is a slightly modified one I downloaded from their website and seems to work great for me. If anyone wants it I'll make it available,,, although I will now have to learn how to export it :PAs I mentioned above, the only issue was the dizzy factor and getting use to it. I litterally have 76" of screen in front of me so turn my head more than most people would need to so imagine the dizziness factor was a lot more severe in my case since to look in the menu area for example, I would nearly have to turn my head 60 degrees or more.
:( Hmm, i may have to invest after all. I have two 24inch screens (FSX is running 'maximised window' on one screen), and i guess my eye level is about halfway up on the screen. What happens if i take the headset off midflight so TrackIR loses sight? Does it recover ok? I thinking ill have it on for say, take off, but like most, i dont sit staring at the screen for 8 hours during a long haul! So i may at times just come back to check the flight at intervals but not necessarily put the headset back on.

Haha, I actuallt thought my reply might get read that way, but there is a spot in the setting to set a button to disable and enable TrackIR. I use it all the time and no there isn't any negative effects at all when you break the signal area.The only thing I don't like about my TR5 is the way the revceiver sits on it's mount. It's magnetic and can easily get knocked off and fall behind your monitor and desk if you accidentally bump it or tug on the usb cable. That's my biggest issue with mine.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Regarding Track IR, I asked this question somewhere else on this issue and never saw an answer. My question was, essentially, How do you look up "at" the overhead panel and still look at the screen and move the mouse to the button? (Unless it came with Magic Mouse Hands like Tom Cruise had in Minority Report, which would be aweseome, by the way.) I'm assuming the answer is essentially peripheral vision, but I'm not sure.

Hi Doug, The head movement or percent ratio isn't 100% so a 1" inch turn of the head would be like 18" inches of actual seen effect. This of course is tweakable and is also another reason people may get dizzy. My reciever is currently about 10" above my head in front of (I tend to slouch hehe). If I were sitting up and want to look at the overhead or looking into the near future "looking though the eyebrow windows of the NGX" would break the Line of sight. You may not experience this and it's amazing how quickly you'll do things automatically if you do have this issue. When I look up I automatically tend to duck a little bit and can see the overhead perfectly.I have a pretty crappy camera right now that only records 640x480 (at best), but will make a video to show what I mean tonight or tomorrow. The vid of course was asked by someone else to see my FPS at a payware airport, with an aircraft like the MD-11 and TR5 on as well as my other addons so have put it off due to doubts my camera will do it justice (or even record for that matter).

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hey guys - thanks for the "tip" about dragging the 2D panels to the other monitors then switching to full screen mode. I never knew you could do that and it's gained me about 5 FPS in the complex add on airports. I never knew that was possible.I have noticed that my secondary screens remain at a poor resolution when doing this. For example my main monitor will be at whatever resolution I select in the FSX settings, but it appears that the other two monitors revert to 1024x768 (or something like that) so the panels dont look as crisp as they do when im looking at them when in windowed mode. Is there a way to fix that?

Noah Bryant

Well, I uploaded a craptastic video. The quality with the camera I had to use (key word had) is just awful,,, truly horrendous. To top it off youtube made it much worse but oh well. It wasn't meant to show off graphics although it would have been nice to have it a little better than it is. This video wasn't meant for this post but I did try to touch base on what I mentioned and give a couple brief demonstrations.Enjoy (haha if possible)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUHCg1Zbz-MEdit: Just noticed this statement on the youtube page: "This video is still being processed. Video quality may improve once processing is complete".So there is hope yet! Although minimal...

Edited by Turbine777

Dan Prunier

Guest 413X3

When your computer can handle it, there's nothing like flying in the VC.

Nice video Dan! Love the trademark Turkey/Ham slice :(

Nice Dan. Timely also since I just added my second-to-last preparation to my FSX rig for the NGX - TrackIR5. Quite a large leap from where we were (2D panels + “hand panning”). With the upcoming NGX quality VC, what about developing a 737NGX TrackIR5 profile. At least it could provide a starting point.

Hi Scott, Track IR profiles don't need to be made for individual aircraft like something like the EZCA addon would. In fact, I use the same modified profile in all flight sim aircraft as well as other flight programs. I even use it on my car racing games and 1st person shooters haha. You'll soon see when you get yours. It's a lot easier than it might sound. I did read someone say that someone from PMDG mentioned they were going to do a EZCA profile, now that I would want and look forward to :)It sure is a huge leap and again glad I did it, especially now with NGX coming out I'm finally use to VC as much as I was use to 2D, so at least that will be off my plate to free up and dedicate my brain cell solely to the NGX!

Dan Prunier

Hi Scott, Track IR profiles don't need to be made for individual aircraft like something like the EZCA addon would. In fact, I use the same modified profile in all flight sim aircraft as well as other flight programs. I even use it on my car racing games and 1st person shooters haha. You'll soon see when you get yours. It's a lot easier than it might sound. I did read someone say that someone from PMDG mentioned they were going to do a EZCA profile, now that I would want and look forward to :)It sure is a huge leap and again glad I did it, especially now with NGX coming out I'm finally use to VC as much as I was use to 2D, so at least that will be off my plate to free up and dedicate my brain cell solely to the NGX!
Dan, was thinking about getting EZCA (used ActiveCamera in fs9). How does in interact with TrackIR. I suppose you would need to "Pause" & "Center" TrackIR when moving to different camera locations. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Hi Scott, I do recommend EZCA to anyone, but with a warning that it does require lots of attention and is not an addon that is "fire and forget". Once set up of course it will be that and the very recent update they did to added what I personally feel shouldn't have ever been missed, and that is being able to cycle views with a single button. There is another issue that I still have yet to figure out which is there isn't any vertical slew in my spot plane view and for me that is annoying me more than words can say. Some seem to have it working but again think it should be automatic and although I have spent about 10 hours or so with it, have yet to really bunker down and have time to remap my keys to try a couple possible solutions.As for the answer to your question, it works in conjunction with TrackIR fine. This is only the case with V5 and not earlier releases of TrackIR I guess. If you look at my video above I am using it at the same time I'm using my TrackIR. With EZCA (EZDOK) you set up views and can have them slew from one view to the other rather than just pop into that view, so it can actually be used for people that want a similar TrackIR experience that can't afford it. Of course it isn't meant as a replacement of TR, but I'm sure a lot of people won't be able to tell in my video there when I'm using which. Another cool feature I like about it is you can set your views on say a particular RWY at your departure or arrival airport, or even just at a particular spot in space such as a intersection you'll soon be traveling through (Global) for some great video shots if your movie maker. It really is cool, but lacks support and their forum is a ghost town in my opinion and the main developer has yet to answer any of my questions and issues (2 weeks about now).Oh, one other problem or what I see as a problem is that with the normal spot view your panning revolves around the plane, with EZCA I have yet to figure out a way to make the aircraft the anchor point or camera focal point. All in all, I love it and it has added a ton to my overall entertainment and may even make some fraps videos with it myself someday when time permits. I just hate products that lack in support as much as this one does but luckily for you and if you get it, I have a couple weeks on you so will probably be able to help you out when and if the time comes :wink:Edit: I meant to mention that prior to this I used DBS Walk and Follow, and this blows it away, in every way.

Dan Prunier

Hi Scott,I do recommend EZCA to anyone, but with a warning [snip]Edit: I meant to mention that prior to this I used DBS Walk and Follow, and this blows it away, in every way.
Thanks Dan. I will pass but do appreciate the offer for help. After years (decades actually) of "hacking" and being a software engineer and beta tester, I only purchase things "fully baked" hehe. In fact, even the NGX will only be purchased after the first SP.Back to the TrackIR5. I have found a ton of personal pleasure flying one of my personal favs - the BeaverX (by Aerosoft I believe) along with the UT Alaska. It is so cool to fly in bad weather by instruments (primative ones like NDBs where possible) in the mountains and glaciers. This summer I went to Juneau, Yakatat, Skagway and Ketchikan etc. I now do mostly all of my flying in and around these locations with FSX on my middle LCD and with skyvector.com (sectionals) on my left LCD and GoogleEarth on my right. Tons of exploring and fun. Now even more so with the TrackIR5.In fact it was your TrackIR info that pushed me to buy it and I want to thank you. A DEFINATE must for VC flying. Thanks for all your input and help!

Glad to help Scott, but now seeing your credentials will most certainly be calling upon your services as well :Big Grin:I love simple aircraft too and the raw navigation. PMDG aircraft always leave me with a great sense of self gratification and a great sense of accomplishment, but the same can be said with just planning your own route on sites like Skyvector and going point to point and doing the math in your head.As for waiting for "Fully Baked", haha I hear ya, but too many companies out there now seem to be dropping things on us that are pretty raw in the center and in some cases is the entire core of the supposed and expected functionality of their product. This is one reason why I can care less with how long the NGX and other aircraft take to be produced. Some companies do try their best to release a great and solid product, but even the best of them can still feel rushed by the customer.Beta testing (true beta testing) isn't at all what people think in that some may think they get to just play with it first, that's rarely the case or the way a BT looks at the task at hand. They push to learn more than they normally would to disect everything they possibly can and spend a lot of time just trying to replicate problems and abnormalities.Sad to see you'll wait for the SP with NGX though, although I totally understand but think people like yourself and your understanding of software and such are what helps pinpoint and provide the better and more verbose reports for companies to get that SP out sooner than later :(

Dan Prunier