Sign in to follow this  
Epgd

new media 22.10....Flight site...

It's funny, I always raise an eyebrow when someone says,‘maths'But both are correct...informal for Mathematics.The one you use is just an indication of where you're from :biggrin:Maybe ‘Do the math’ is an American expression…imported to the UK.That would explain the discrepancy.And folks there kept saying ‘math’, even though regionally it should be 'maths'.hehe...I'm so far off topic :(
Surely a contraction of Mathematics is Maths, no? its either Arithmetic or Mathematics, so really if you're going to say 'Do the Math', you should say 'Do the Arith'.But thats just me being pedantic.

Guest veeray

I have never seen maths in any publication ever. Just sounds like a slang word.

I can certainly see the logic in saying maths.But if you’re not used to it, it does sound like math in plural.The truth is I really like these regional differences in English.It would be a shame to ever lose them.“When do the shops shut? I’d like a packet of crisps.”“When do the stores close? I’d like a bag of chips.”

Maths has long been an accepted English abbreviation for mathematics. At school in the 1940s and 1950s we alsways spoke of maths, maths lessons, and maths homework - never mathematics.

Math is the usual shortened version of mathematics in Canada and the United States.Maths is the usual shortened version of mathematics in other English speaking countries.Regards, Mike MannP.S. Etymology probably isn't important in the context of this thread.

Guest veeray

dmaher: I agree totally... I mean what would I do without my english lessons from Ricky and Karl. Are you having a Laugh? Don't have a go at the English...

what the hell is wrong with you guys .. you guys turned the OP post into the linguistics channel  :(

what the hell is wrong with you guys .. you guys turned the OP post into the linguistics channel :(
Which at least is more educational than the media presented by Microsoft that gave impetus to this thread.Realistically how many posts would you expect in reaction to such a short nondescript media release?Regards, Mike Mann

Which at least is more educational than the media presented by Microsoft that gave impetus to this thread.Realistically how many posts would you expect in reaction to such a short nondescript media release?Regards, Mike Mann
ya got good point there  :(

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.