Sign in to follow this  
Epgd

Ms Flight vs Fs2004 video..

Nice comparison, it really puts Flight into perspective. With all our addons we forget what these sims actually look like out of the box.If Flight can look like that and more importantly run on the days mid range computers I will be very pleased with the product.

Some people will still say they like FS9 better, lol.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

HelloSome might say they cannot see that much difference to justify dumping thousands in Addons.I will buy it anyway to support the Franchise but with over $4600 spent on FS9 and FSX addons (mostly FS9) I am in no hurry to start over again.

HelloSome might say they cannot see that much difference to justify dumping thousands in Addons.I will buy it anyway to support the Franchise but with over $4600 spent on FS9 and FSX addons (mostly FS9) I am in no hurry to start over again.
Same here, unless there is some degree of backward compatibility or some of the devs offer the Flight versions of their prodcuts at a discount if you already own the FSX version. Although I have only spent around $2000 on addons for FSX, i'm not really in a hurry to do it all over again. Then again, if backward compatibility isn't an option and the 3PD's have to start from scratch it will probably be another year or longer after Flight comes out before products will start to hit the market. I wouldn't switch to Flight anyway until I can populate it with a good amount of airports or my aftermarket planes. If it proves to offer a high degree of backward compatibility and I can install my planes and airports straight away and it performes better than FSX, I would imagine I would switch right away. It will be interesting to see what will or won't work for FSX in Flight.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just as you can't judge a book by its cover, here were trying to judge a book with no cover! In truth there is no book, only a manuscript.You cannot judge Microsoft Flight until it is installed on YOUR computer.Regards, Mike Mann

Same here, unless there is some degree of backward compatibility or some of the devs offer the Flight versions of their prodcuts at a discount if you already own the FSX version. Although I have only spent around $2000 on addons for FSX, i'm not really in a hurry to do it all over again. Then again, if backward compatibility isn't an option and the 3PD's have to start from scratch it will probably be another year or longer after Flight comes out before products will start to hit the market. I wouldn't switch to Flight anyway until I can populate it with a good amount of airports or my aftermarket planes. If it proves to offer a high degree of backward compatibility and I can install my planes and airports straight away and it performes better than FSX, I would imagine I would switch right away. It will be interesting to see what will or won't work for FSX in Flight.
HelloAfter the third party developers were given assurances that FSX assets would work in FSnext, I could see many of those devs giving up entirely if there is not a good degree of backwards compatibility.With development times for complex addons being measured in years where is the incentive to start work on another 737NG or 757.The LevelD 757 being a good example, at the rate of development given that little info is given out about its progress FSX may be superseded before it gets released.I have read many times about the reluctance of developers to develop for XPlane based on Austins habit of breaking compatability with each release, this scenario could happen easily with the Flight franchise if MS are not careful.Based on the screenshots and video's so far it looks a safe bet that it will be backwards compatible.My guess is that Flight! will be to FSX as FS2004 was to FS2002 ie incremental but not ground breaking progress..

HelloAfter the third party developers were given assurances that FSX assets would work in FSnext, I could see many of those devs giving up entirely if there is not a good degree of backwards compatibility.With development times for complex addons being measured in years where is the incentive to start work on another 737NG or 757.The LevelD 757 being a good example, at the rate of development given that little info is given out about its progress FSX may be superseded before it gets released.I have read many times about the reluctance of developers to develop for XPlane based on Austins habit of breaking compatability with each release, this scenario could happen easily with the Flight franchise if MS are not careful.Based on the screenshots and video's so far it looks a safe bet that it will be backwards compatible.My guess is that Flight! will be to FSX as FS2004 was to FS2002 ie incremental but not ground breaking progress..
The problem with X-Plane is that not only do they change many things between releases, but sometimes change things in an actual release, ie 9.1, 9.2 etc. If X-Plane just came out with Version 9, then Version 10, you'd probably see PMDG and the like coming on board, after all thats what happened with MSFS; FS2004 then FSX.

I bet some precentage of you current addons will work with "flight". But the way things normally go, is that people resist change but then make the move forward.  

I bet some precentage of you current addons will work with "flight". But the way things normally go, is that people resist change but then make the move forward.  
HelloI am hoping my more recent FSX addons will work such as the PMDG J41 F1 mustang ect.I will not be buying any more FSX addons now until more details are available regarding backwards compatibility, I have more than enough to keep me amused for now and I am mainly flying FS9 anyway.I was hoping to buy the PMDG 737 and Level-D 757 for FSX but now I will wait as I can see that I may end up using FS9 and Flight! and just write off FSX as another FS2000

The runway and sky textures are better in FS9. What is with the leopard skin texture of the runway in flight?

Just as you can't judge a book by its cover, here were trying to judge a book with no cover! In truth there is no book, only a manuscript.You cannot judge Microsoft Flight until it is installed on YOUR computer.Regards, Mike Mann
I disagree . you can reasonably judge it once we see the features and enhancements list.

I disagree . you can reasonably judge it once we see the feature and enhancements list.
HelloNow that is the truest statement so far, My best guess and I could be way off here (usually am)so here goes, and I realise this will stay in cyberspace and be ridiculed for eternity if wrong.Flight! will be released not too far away from the launch of MS's new Marketplace because that shiny new Market place need s product to sell.It will consist of FSX with all of the assets made DX10 compliant at a minimum.Time permitting everything that Aces had on the "to be coded" list before they were handed their belongings in a black plastic bag may be implemented.After a service patch a Checkbox will appear for DX11 preview.In 2014 we will still be having these discussions (hopefully). :( I may or may not be still flying FS9 along with other laggards such as JP_Visser E.Detroit, Chuck_B formerly Trelane (hate this name change thing we have now) I think it must be Me, I have reached that age where you cannot help but resist change.Still going to buy Flight! though just so I know what you guys are talking about :(

The problem with X-Plane is that not only do they change many things between releases, but sometimes change things in an actual release, ie 9.1, 9.2 etc. If X-Plane just came out with Version 9, then Version 10, you'd probably see PMDG and the like coming on board, after all thats what happened with MSFS; FS2004 then FSX.
I dont follow your logicFSX, FSX sp1, FSX sp2, FSX acceleration, FSX gold .. all iterations of FSX, just like Xplane iterations..

I will not be buying any more FSX addons now until more details are available regarding backwards compatibility
I can appreciate the sentiment, but if everyone does that, then a very large number of 3rd party developers will have to focus their energies on areas outside of Flightsim, and the whole 3rd party development scene could seriously falter if not collapse.If you want your 3rd party addon companies to still be in business by the time Flight rolls around, please support us :( Heaven forbid I have to start making those silly "run and gun" type games :( :( Cheers,

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.