Sign in to follow this  
DylanC

Is MSFS a hobby or a game?

Hobby or Just a Game?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider Flight Simulation a hobby or just a game?

• Hobby
    • Game

I personally have been using MSFS since I was 11 or 12 (way back in 1982/83). Aside from my Father taking me to JFK to see planes landing and taking off as a child, I attribute MSFS for my fascination with Aviation. And now happy to say I've had a successful 20 years in the Aviation Industry which still continues today. Like many of you, I've watched this piece of software morph from a few lines and circles on the screen, to an almost virtual simulated world. This program has been part of my life for the last 28 years and I am not ashamed to admit, have become pretty passionate about it.Recently I came across a post (pinned mind you) on another developer's forum that really upset me. Actually if I had seen this post before I purchased their product, I never would have. That's how strongly I feel regarding the subject and contents of the post. The title of the post on the developer's site is "It's just a game!". Which brings me to the reason for this poll. Many of us sink a sizeable amount of cash into not only the computers we run this software on, but also add-ons that make the simulation experience that much more enjoyable and realistic. Not to mention the amount of time we spend on planning and carrying out our simulated flights as mentioned in a previous post in this forum. These reasons alone are good enough for me to consider this a hobby. Here are a couple of definitions of a hobby that I particularly agree with and probably describes the lot of us.A hobby is an activity that we engage in that involves some form of personal investment. Time and effort is invested in a hobby; it is not an activity that can be engaged in while completely detached.So my question to everyone is do you consider Flight Simulation a hobby or just a game?

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

Seeing as though we come from similiar backgrounds concerning the usage of MSFS over the years and our continued interest in virtual simulations has been increasing (perhaps bordering on obsession), I would have to say that for the most part, MSFS was designed to be a game (in comparison to other sims that require you to be seated in a special room), but it is one game that became a "simulation enthusiasts" alternative. For those of us who put a lot of time and effort into this "game", it is my conclusion that it is a hobby for the user. While we don't have those special simulators from Boeing, we use the next best thing, our computers and with aircraft models designed by the likes of PMDG, along with the supplemental manuals and such, it IS a great step forward into taking this hobby to the next level of seriousness. I for one have become rather overwhelmed with delight on how accurate and detailed the PMDG aircraft are and in some respects, their work makes MSFS default aircraft look like children's toys.In any case, I hope I answered your question, even though the question is opinion-based. Regardless of our answers, i think we can all agree that it IS very entertaining. :)Cheers,Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

Definitely a simulator to me...LOWI0001.jpg

More than a hobby. It's a passion to me.Sometimes, when I get back from work and I don't have time for a flight, I play other games I have, and I’m surprised on how little they entertain me. In maybe 3 hours time I play 3 different games because I get bored quickly.Nothing like plan, take off and land,Beautiful

It's definitely not a game.It's not a hobby.It's more important than that, it's life!Or maybe a flight from life! :wink:Cheers!

With the greatest respect to MSFS, in its default format, this is a game a very good game. When you start paying for addon software across the board, it becomes a hobby. Marry the two together and you have compelling entertainment with a background of educational information. What more do you need. richard welsh.

It's a bit like crack.....not that I've ever taken any....Big%20Grin.gifOnce you've tried it then you're hooked, then you lose your wife, your job, your kids and then your home. Thank god you can play the Xplane on the Ipad when on the streets..:biggrin:I actually think it's a game, as MSFS has loads of problems that snap you out of the fantasy of being a pilot, but, sometimes I like to pretend it's real-ish. Oh! look!!!! there's a micro burst.Chris Farrell

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

Six years.

Guest wims

Wether its a game or not has nothing to do with the realism imo. There are many realistic games out there that can be classified as a game. The thing that excludes FSX from the game category is that its impossible to win. There are racing simulators that are highly realistic, at least as realistic as FSX, that can be classified as games, as there's an objective to win. Its impossible to win in FSX. Also, a game can be a hobby and a simulator can be a game

Even with no addons at all, FS9 is a powerful learning tool for pilot trainees, who can use the canned flight lessons available in that basic platform to hone most of the skills needed to acquire an instrument rating. With the precise, detailed realism offered by the addon Boeings from PMDG and LevelD, Feelthere's Embraers, the Dreamfleet 727 and the Leonardo Maddog80, real life airline pilots can study for type-rating exams and instrument check-rides in the FS9 environment, stepping up its effectiveness as a training tool, to very closely approach that offered by multi-million dollar full-motion Level D simulators. Microsoft Flight Simulator, used in this way, could not be described as a "game".For less professionally motivated flight simmers like myself, who love the magic of flight, but don't feel a need to master lengthy check-lists and replicate airline flight crew protocol to the letter, I suppose FS9 could be referred to as a game or hobby, but even as a game, its real life applicaton and relevance set it FAR apart from other more abstract video games such as Grand Theft Auto, which offer no constructive learning opportunities that I can recognize.Tony Selario

Best regards from Tony, at the helm of the flying desk.

Seeing as though we come from similiar backgrounds concerning the usage of MSFS over the years and our continued interest in virtual simulations has been increasing (perhaps bordering on obsession), I would have to say that for the most part, MSFS was designed to be a game (in comparison to other sims that require you to be seated in a special room), but it is one game that became a "simulation enthusiasts" alternative. For those of us who put a lot of time and effort into this "game", it is my conclusion that it is a hobby for the user. While we don't have those special simulators from Boeing, we use the next best thing, our computers and with aircraft models designed by the likes of PMDG, along with the supplemental manuals and such, it IS a great step forward into taking this hobby to the next level of seriousness. I for one have become rather overwhelmed with delight on how accurate and detailed the PMDG aircraft are and in some respects, their work makes MSFS default aircraft look like children's toys.In any case, I hope I answered your question, even though the question is opinion-based. Regardless of our answers, i think we can all agree that it IS very entertaining. :)Cheers,Jim
I agree with you Jim. This program certainly started out as a game for all of us including MS, but tranformed into something much bigger.
Definitely a simulator to me...LOWI0001.jpg
Wow! That's awesome!
Wether its a game or not has nothing to do with the realism imo. There are many realistic games out there that can be classified as a game. The thing that excludes FSX from the game category is that its impossible to win. There are racing simulators that are highly realistic, at least as realistic as FSX, that can be classified as games, as there's an objective to win. Its impossible to win in FSX. Also, a game can be a hobby and a simulator can be a game
I agree, I've always believed a game has a beginning, a middle, and an end. That in itself sets a game apart from MSFS.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

This is not really hard to answer but i will answer it as follows:It is NOT just a game. Call of Duty is a game. One plays that "game" for entertainment but really learns nothing from it. In that "game" I can take a Barret .50 Cal STAND UP aim at something 200+ yards away and hit it with such precision that "real" snipers could only dream of having. I am a marksman and reload all my own ammo and can hit the really long shots and that "game" is NOT....let me repeat NOT accurate.NOW:IN MSFS not only can I play something that is fun, but also I will learn a VAST amount of information. Before I bought FSX I knew very little about aviation. Now I'm proud to say that I have learned more information than I can some times handle, WHILE having fun doing so. Most of the quality addons are engineered with the assistance of REAL pilots, and using ACTUAL flight characteristics. Microsoft Flight Simulator, is what can be considered a learning platform, or training sim, but its not like going to school.Is it a hobby......yes I will agree. But I think its more than that. To some, including my self, its a way of life. I can not go outside, see an airplane of any size, and not say to my self, HMMMMM let me simulate that flight. With this game I can. If one was to go to Boeing's website and checkout the 747 -8 series, and look around the site a little. theres an area where you can track the 747-8F test flights through flight aware. NOW COME ON, I can not TELL you how many times I have looked at it, seen it at KPAE and tried to mimic that flight with my PMDG747-8F extension. Because as we all know the 747-8F is not "quite" ready yet, so in the effort of realism, I test fly the plane whenever I can. I don't know too many "games" out there that can do that. Do you want to buy and DL a militry plane......go to the middle east and have your way...........with MSFS you can. There are UNLIMITED possibilities with this "game" and I for one and proud to own it wouldnt give it up for the world. And Dylan, If it were me, just to be an A-Hole I would take the DL for that plane..........email it back to them ( I know it does nothing, you still paid for it) and include a message that I can not say on this forum. and erase it from my hard drive

It's neither a game or a hobby... it's REAL :(

Bill Howard

pmdg_trijet.jpg

And Dylan, If it were me, just to be an A-Hole I would take the DL for that plane..........email it back to them ( I know it does nothing, you still paid for it) and include a message that I can not say on this forum. and erase it from my hard drive
LOL Tim! Out of respect to the developer I wouldn't do that. But it's quite obvious with that post they made, they do not respect the passion and enthusiasm we all share for this hobby of ours. I'm sure in time they will realize it. Also that developer seems to be the only one who has produced a viable simulation of my favorite aircraft.

Dylan Charles