Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

payware old propliners for FSX?

I am fascinated with Buffalo Airways and was wondering if there are any of those type of planes available as payware for FSX? and now that FTX just released there PFJ's scenery, I want to try to simulate that TYPE of flying in that area.links? thanksBS

Ciao!

Well, for fire suppression flights, you got one of the best payware FSX aircraft for a start, that being Aerosoft's Consolodated PBY Catalina, which is a pretty good contender for being the best FSX vintage multi-prop out there actually, and it certainly is a type which Buffalo use. It's perhaps only pipped to the post by A2A's B-17G and their Stratocruiser in terms of realism (and then not by much), neither of the latter two are Buffalo types, but should be in everyone's hangar anyway if you like old props. You've also got the Martin Mars by Virtavia (which is the old Alphasim company), again, not a type that Buffalo operate, but it is the biggest fire suppression waterbomber out there and capable of landing on water too, so quite versatile and very different from a lot of FSX offerings.There are a number of DC-3s and a good DC-2, the best DC-3 currently being the MAAM one, although two more are in development at the moment, so in the meantime, the UIVER DC-2 is well worth having alongside that MAAM DC-3. It'd probably be worth taking a look on the DC-3 site of good old Trev Morson too of course: http://www.douglasdc3.com/As far as the DC-4, Lockheed Electra, Curtiss Commando and Canadair CL-215 are concerned, you'll probably be looking at freeware, but there are certainly some good ones kicking around and a quick search in the file library here on Avsim and a few other places will turn up some real gems.Another one worth a look is the payware Lockheed Constellation from Just Flight, which is quite a nice thing if you like old propliners. It's not up there with A2A's offerings, or that Aerosoft Catalina, but it is still pretty good.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Another one worth a look is the payware Lockheed Constellation from Just Flight, which is quite a nice thing if you like old propliners. It's not up there with A2A's offerings, or that Aerosoft Catalina, but it is still pretty good.Al
The super connie is one of my fav planes. I had a look at the justflight offering.the exterior does not look so bad but the vc is a bit cartoonish imo. Do you know of a better model ? I searched the net but found nothing.thxVic

You are correct, the cockpit of the JF Connie is something of an acquired taste, but I think what makes it seem odd is that we are often used to seeing such old aircraft with fifty years of wear and tear on them, and within the limitations of what computer graphics can do, the real thing when it just rolled out of the factory would probably have looked not dissimilar to how the JF rendition appears. I tend to prefer about halfway between the two myself, rather than for example the CS 727 cockpit, which is approaching the look of something from a boneyard in places LOL.There are some other Connies out there, another payware on is the Abacus version, which doesn't seem an improvement as far as the VC goes, but I don't have that one, so who knows?: http://www.abacuspub.com/platinum/catalog/s608.htmFreeware-wise, there is the one by Brian C. Selb, which I think is the one at CalClassic, and there is another old one by Mike Stone, which some people have jazzed up a bit, and you can find tweaks for that kicking about on the 'net at some of the flight sim download places.Al

Alan Bradbury

I don't know if this is his current site but Rick Piper did a HS748 for FSX with a VC. http://www.btinternet.com/~rick.piper/. You wil find lots of related links if you google "Rick Piper Flight" (no quotes).

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

The boeing B377 i think produced by alphasim (may be wrong) looks pretty goo, i think you can even buy an addon that makes it more realistic, cant think of the name of that though.Sorry not much use being at work.Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Team KBT has a wonderful L-188 Electra, as freeware, in the Combi version, right here at Avsim. Perhaps someone could do a Buffalo re-paint.I've heard that the channel that has the reality series on Buffalo in Canada, will be releasing a full-season DVD in the US soon...can't wait!BillKGYH

The boeing B377 i think produced by alphasim (may be wrong) looks pretty goo, i think you can even buy an addon that makes it more realistic, cant think of the name of that though.Sorry not much use being at work.Tom
Are you maybe referring to a2asimulations.com ? I didn't know alphasim made a b377.Vic

Yup, probably means the A2A one with the Accusim package added to it.Al

Alan Bradbury

Yup, I agree, the UIVER DC-2 is a marvelous FS add-on, it's a 'must have' in my opinion.Incidentally, if you want to see some cool stuff that A2A are up to with old prop engines, check this out, and stand by to be impressed: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22663Al

Alan Bradbury

You are correct, the cockpit of the JF Connie is something of an acquired taste, but I think what makes it seem odd is that we are often used to seeing such old aircraft with fifty years of wear and tear on them, and within the limitations of what computer graphics can do, the real thing when it just rolled out of the factory would probably have looked not dissimilar to how the JF rendition appears. [clip]
I think the vc is too flat.No immersion.It does look cartoonish.I have seen another model (calclassic ?) and the vc was a bit better even if it looked as if they cut up old pictures of a cockptit and slapped them on there just like that.Some addons really have good looking Vcs. I can think of the mustang, the duke, cs767+757 for example.Vic

The super connie is one of my fav planes. I had a look at the justflight offering.the exterior does not look so bad but the vc is a bit cartoonish imo. Do you know of a better model ? I searched the net but found nothing.thxVic
Maybe you should take a look at Manfred Jahn's Lockheed Connie, I tested it over within FSX and it worked fine with me, except that it didn't work as advertised to to the limitations of being an FS9 model. For marvelous DC-6s or DC-4/C-54 Argonauts, I'd recommend Jens B Kristensen's depiction.You should also find a number of classic British props and a rare model of the Boeing 247D from him. I'd personally pick his very own Bristol Britannia and a few of his very own jets. Dave.