Sign in to follow this  
Guest troyboy66

PMDG NGX and Microsoft FLight

When it comes to X-plane, I think there is a bit of chicken/egg dilemma going on. X-plane doesn't have the user base of MSFS because there aren't as many high quality commercial addons for it. But there aren't as many high quality addons for X-plane because it doesn't have the user base. Perhaps if more commercial developers got behind X-plane, then you'd see a lot of users switching over.

I know personally from my experience, if MSFlight was released tomorrow I would NOT run out and buy it. I would be commited to FSX simply because of the many addons like the NGX that I own. I also know that I am am sounding like this sim versus that sim kind of guy like we heard five years ago when FSX first came out. However, there is one major difference that has been mentioned here mulitple times and that is the issue of backward compatibilty. When I made the transition to FSX there was a huge finanial commitment as well. I had to update a lot of the addons I had purchased before BUT a lot of those addons were offered at a discount if you had previously owned them with FS9. This helped to offset the cost and it paid off because now I have sim that looks really amazing and I have continued to update it with products like PMDG and REX and FTX. I hardly think that addon developers who also have to start from scratch will be able to shoulder those development costs with discounts. Now when MSFlight is released and I cannot fly my beloved NGX in it then I can not possibly see there being any incentive for me to purchase it at this point. If something can be done later to make it compatible then maybe a few years down the road I would consider it along with another computer upgrade. I have waited all these years without the NG and it has been hard. In order to tide me over until the NGX was released, I even went as far as to purchase a surrogate 737 from a compeitor for an obscene amount of money and that experience was terrible. So in order to sum up, once the NGX comes out I wont be going anywhere for a very loooooonnnnngggggg time!

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi All, We are all aware of the time scale the PMDG developers take to produce their excellent products. From time to time Ryan picks holes in the faults within the FSX platform and we all know that FSX is not altogether perfect this collectively is partly responsible for the extended time scale of PMDG aircraft. If Microsoft had really delved into FSX and taken more time during development, as PMDG do, then FSX would be today what it should have been at release all that time ago. We all have spent mega monies on everything associated with FS9 and FSX and I for one will stick to these sims. As far as microsoft Flight is concerned, they can keep it. Richard Welsh.

The only thing FSX truly needs is a patch to it's core engine to bring into line with today's hardware. I personally believe FLIGHT is no more than a patch that should have been released for free instead of a whole new advertising campaign. As far as X-plane goes, Yeah it runs great, but the quality of its models are just soo cartoonish it pains me to even start it up.

Guest troyboy66
I know personally from my experience, if MSFlight was released tomorrow I would NOT run out and buy it. I would be commited to FSX simply because of the many addons like the NGX that I own. I also know that I am am sounding like this sim versus that sim kind of guy like we heard five years ago when FSX first came out. However, there is one major difference that has been mentioned here mulitple times and that is the issue of backward compatibilty. When I made the transition to FSX there was a huge finanial commitment as well. I had to update a lot of the addons I had purchased before BUT a lot of those addons were offered at a discount if you had previously owned them with FS9. This helped to offset the cost and it paid off because now I have sim that looks really amazing and I have continued to update it with products like PMDG and REX and FTX. I hardly think that addon developers who also have to start from scratch will be able to shoulder those development costs with discounts. Now when MSFlight is released and I cannot fly my beloved NGX in it then I can not possibly see there being any incentive for me to purchase it at this point. If something can be done later to make it compatible then maybe a few years down the road I would consider it along with another computer upgrade. I have waited all these years without the NG and it has been hard. In order to tide me over until the NGX was released, I even went as far as to purchase a surrogate 737 from a compeitor for an obscene amount of money and that experience was terrible. So in order to sum up, once the NGX comes out I wont be going anywhere for a very loooooonnnnngggggg time!
Hence my notation on point#4 "4.What is FSX today?....FSX is a box with multiple components that make a computer. The OS is called PMDG. i.e, you can't run FSX without having a PMDG :)"Troy

Guest troyboy66
The only thing FSX truly needs is a patch to it's core engine to bring into line with today's hardware. I personally believe FLIGHT is no more than a patch that should have been released for free instead of a whole new advertising campaign. As far as X-plane goes, Yeah it runs great, but the quality of its models are just soo cartoonish it pains me to even start it up.
I totally agree. Its too bad we did not have an opportunity to voice our opinions to Microsoft development team before they announced Flight. It appears from a small number of PMDG lovers (this includes me) Microsoft Flight is doomed for failure....or is it. Or did Microsoft discovered how to make FLIGHT really look to be 'As Real As It Gets?'