Sign in to follow this  
Efussander

In-Depth Review of NGX Manuals

Hi Ethan.Thank you for taking the time to write up your review. I have also received my Captains set and would concur with you comments.There have been comments in other threads about the print quality in the FCOM's which whilst a tad annoying for the price paid, they are still readable and usable.My main concern is the packaging and that is something that does need to be addressed. Mine were undamaged but there was damage to the outer carton and the lack of packing inside will I am sure eventually lead to the damage of the manuals if not rectified.This is the first set of manuals I have bought despite owning the 747 and MD11 and they will I am sure open up a whole new world of flying and procedures once the NGX finally arrives.What I would have like to have seen somewhere in the manuals, bearing in mind they are for simulation use, is the minimum or recommended computer requirements that will be needed to run the beast once it arrives as I have not found this in other threads.Cheers again Ethan - top man.Gary

Hi Ethan.Thank you for taking the time to write up your review. I have also received my Captains set and would concur with you comments.There have been comments in other threads about the print quality in the FCOM's which whilst a tad annoying for the price paid, they are still readable and usable.My main concern is the packaging and that is something that does need to be addressed. Mine were undamaged but there was damage to the outer carton and the lack of packing inside will I am sure eventually lead to the damage of the manuals if not rectified.This is the first set of manuals I have bought despite owning the 747 and MD11 and they will I am sure open up a whole new world of flying and procedures once the NGX finally arrives.What I would have like to have seen somewhere in the manuals, bearing in mind they are for simulation use, is the minimum or recommended computer requirements that will be needed to run the beast once it arrives as I have not found this in other threads.Cheers again Ethan - top man.Gary
I agree completely with your comments about packaging. Thanks so much for the nice words everybody!

I.ve posted a support ticket regarding the varying quality of the print manuals, but been given the standard reply that was posted in the sticky about them being better than what real world get and that printing white on black etc....I accept that this does cause issues, however it doesnt answer which I specifically pointed out in my support query why the quality(whatever issues there maybe with white on bacl printing, etc) that FCOM 1 is so different in quality to that of FCOM 2 - QRH and training manual etc...using the above reviewers photos which replicate exactly the same issues I have, this link shows FCOM1My linkHere you can see the faded and "washy looking black print" but also look at the boldness of the PMDG logo at the top and the "DO NOT USE FOR FLIGHT" text... then compare it to the image here for a diagram in FCOM 2My linkompletely different, PMDG logo is vibrant black, and so is the DO NOT USE FOR FLIGHT, and also the issue of white on black printing isnt there now...So the Support answer in my opionion isnt addressing the issue. Quite simply what they say are the issues of white on black printing, not using glossy paper etc... dont fit in with the differences across the manuals, if that was the problem then the FCOM 2 images would also suffer the same effect, and quite simply the DO NOT USE FOR FLIGHT, and PMDG LOGO should be consistent across the manuals. I see it that there as been a bad batch of priniting done and I dont know why PMDG havent addressed this.

Sir,With all do respect, the diagrams are perfectly clear and legible. The use greyscale instead of just black and white. So just because you see grey, it doesn't mean that it is bad quality. I absolutely love my manuals, and I'm sure you will too.Also, if anyone has a complaint about their manuals, please don't post them here. You can start your own topic if necessary. This topic was intended to showcase the fantastic NGX manuals, and I'd like it to stay that way. :(

The information in these manuals is excellent but corners have been cut. I have never seen a PROFESSIONALLY printed manual with this quality before.I will keep mine as it's a hassle to send them back but I feel exploited. PMDG, GET a printer who can do the job and don't accept their pathetic excuses/reasons for poor print. My printer confirmed these are not professional prints and was shocked at the price.Wise up.

Ethan how can you say that when you show similar images in both manauls, FCOM 1 and FCOM 2, both depecting a White on black image, yet in your FCOM 2 shot the black is just that matt flat consittant black, yet the image from your FCOM 2 is black but patchy like the ink was running out.The logos at the top of the page, in your examples again a standard logo which should remain the same in both manuals along with the DO NOT USE FOR FLIGHT, the line that seperates this text from the main content, varies in quality in your examples, from that in the FCOM 1 and the FCOM 2. Ethan on another post in this forum a poster as stated that he has these issues, and PMDG have stated that he must have a bad print, and have replaced the manuals.I am totally happy, and thrilled with the conent of what these manuals have, they are trully an excellent thing to own for the information. But the quality of them for that price is not acceptable. and in fact once the PDF version of them is out, a self print will prove the fact that there is a defect in both yours and my FCOM 1 printing manual.I have the chief pilot set in my possesion now, and enjoying going through them, but am very dissapointed at the quality difference between the various manuals. They do not justify 400dollars especially when the content will be free shortly when the product is released. The point of paying for them was to have as stated in the marketing "Professionally Printed" manuals

Okayyy ...Mr. Farrell,Please don't bad mouth PMDG like that. I understand your frustration, but if there is a problem, it would be better to PM a staff member. I am not trying to moderate, but I really don't want this thread to go south and turn into a big argument. Not that you are arguing, but it has the potential to go that way. I do however, find it disrespectful to tell a hard working and honorable company like PMDG to "Wise Up". Mr. CarrIndeed. I see what you are saying. Thank you for expressing your thoughts in a very mild, frank, and calm way. The entire forums could use a little sanity sometimes. :wink:I guess for me, it doesn't really bother me. They are still clear. I did pay a lot, but I feel I got what I payed for. I also understand that these things happen in life. So all in all, this doesn't change my view of the manuals one bit. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Thank you for expressing yours. Cheers everyone!

You don't own a thread just because you started the first post, it doesn't give you the right to tell people what they can or can't post in replies. If you want that sort of power then startup your own website and blog. If people aren't allowed to air their opinions like this in public then PMDG will never get the message that the quality difference between manuals is not acceptable. You don't have to be smart to read between the lines to see that this is quality control issue rather than a technical difficulty.

Cheers, Andy.

You don't own a thread just because you started the first post, it doesn't give you the right to tell people what they can or can't post in replies. If you want that sort of power then startup your own website and blog. If people aren't allowed to air their opinions like this in public then PMDG will never get the message that the quality difference between manuals is not acceptable. You don't have to be smart to read between the lines to see that this is quality control issue rather than a technical difficulty.
I'd say that having done all the work evident in his first post just to help other prospective buyers, the OP has earned the right to do a little mild moderating in this thread.

Well that's just your opinion and you are entitled to it just like I am to mine. Potential customers should be allowed to see both sides of the story and there is no better place for that than in this thread, it's all well and good writing a glowing review of the manuals but if there is a defect with them then readers should be made aware of this possible problem also.

Cheers, Andy.

Okayyy ...Mr. Farrell,Please don't bad mouth PMDG like that. I understand your frustration, but if there is a problem, it would be better to PM a staff member. I am not trying to moderate, but I really don't want this thread to go south and turn into a big argument. Not that you are arguing, but it has the potential to go that way. I do however, find it disrespectful to tell a hard working and honorable company like PMDG to "Wise Up".
Point taken.However, if the job was done properly, a comment like that would not have been expressed.I agree with Andy, people must know what to expect when they buy these manuals. I hope they can make an informed choice now.

Well that's just your opinion and you are entitled to it just like I am to mine. Potential customers should be allowed to see both sides of the story and there is no better place for that than in this thread, it's all well and good writing a glowing review of the manuals but if there is a defect with them then readers should be made aware of this possible problem also.
Obviously. I'm not arguing that complaints about the manuals should not be voiced in this thread and -as I understand it- neither did Mr. Rayhorn. If you read his post he didn't have a problem with Mr. Carr who was also expressing a negative opinion about the manuals.This is not an issue of not posting negative opinions, which of course everyone has the right to do, it's as issue of how these opinions are expressed. To reiterate my earlier argument, I believe the OP has the right to do some limited moderating on the subject by virtue of all the work he put in this review.

Obviously. I'm not arguing that complaints about the manuals should not be voiced in this thread and -as I understand it- neither did Mr. Rayhorn. If you read his post he didn't have a problem with Mr. Carr who was also expressing a negative opinion about the manuals.This is not an issue of not posting negative opinions, which of course everyone has the right to do, it's as issue of how these opinions are expressed. To reiterate my earlier argument, I believe the OP has the right to do some limited moderating on the subject by virtue of all the work he put in this review.
Right on!Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just dont want this review turning into a thread where peoples' frustration comes out in what they say. If you are disappointed because the print quality is not what you expected, then absolutely you have the right to let people know. There is a difference though, as Mr. Thomas Kenobi noted, between how these views can be and were expressed, not only on this thread, but in others. Mr. Farrell has since posted, and it seems that everybody is better now so hopefully we can move on. I just can't see how people can get so upset about if the OP doesn't want this to turn into an argument. I am not going to moderate the heck out of this thread because that is not my job and I respect that. I would however, like to attempt to maintain the sanity and dignity of this thread. I think we are on the right track again. Thanks everybody!PS. Chris, no hard feelings. I know how frustration can get the best of our words. Happens to me all too much. :(

PS. Chris, no hard feelings. I know how frustration can get the best of our words. Happens to me all too much. :(
It's cool :(

Thanks for sharing Ethan. I think a cheap pad will be brought even a kindle?

ww1459.png