Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

New computer on order!

I have built my computers for years, it's really easy once you demystify the process. As long as you get the correct parts and do the research it's a doddle.The OP system looks good, but, I would never buy a dell as they use propriety hardware. M/B , PSU and casing cables/fixing screw locations are non standard - if something goes wrong you can't just buy a replacement, you have to go back to Dell, which I think is wrong.

Guest wims

I recommend to never ever buy anything from Dell.

I didn't want to build my own PC because it's a pain in the arse whenever you may need to re-format. You need to re-install each component one by one with its own disc whereas with a computer from Dell comes with one recovery disc. So much quicker and easier to do.As for not buying from, my parents-in-law got a new all-in-one from Dell and are over the moon with it - very happy.

Edited by mcbellette

I didn't want to build my own PC because it's a pain in the arse whenever you may need to re-format. You need to re-install each component one by one with its own disc whereas with a computer from Dell comes with one recovery disc. So much quicker and easier to do.As for not buying from, my parents-in-law got a new all-in-one from Dell and are over the moon with it - very happy.
Are you aware of drive imaging programs such as Acronis True Image? That's how Dell and others create those recovery disks in the first place. $50 gives you the ability to clone your system exactly to DVDs or an external HD and restore it in full working order when you want to reformat...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Are you aware of drive imaging programs such as Acronis True Image? That's how Dell and others create those recovery disks in the first place. $50 gives you the ability to clone your system exactly to DVDs or an external HD and restore it in full working order when you want to reformat...
Hmm, didn't know that.

Also PC's are the same for reformatting, if you wanna reformat the dell [which when you are running FSX and windows, reformatting becomes a routine for some of us ;) ] you will do the same steps as if you were formatting a custom PC.If you don't wanna build one, i would go for custom PC places like Cyberpower [uk and us], so if you run into a technical issue, you can just give them a quick ring :) and they will replace any hardware if it goes faulty..Thats my suggestion sir.

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Oh well, it's done now. Computer due to be delivered on Monday some time during the day. Looking forward to flying FSX in double (not single) digits FPS for the first time ever!

I'd cancel the order. DELL is kinda like a piece of crap, its belongs in a toilet you know what I mean. DELL's are for the elderly that don't know anything about hardware and have a lot of money and are willing to give it to the Captialist .ronald ham il ton

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Yeah, i bought an Alienware from Dell.....OOOOPS! When I pay it off in 12 years I am building my own. :(

Oh well, it's done now. Computer due to be delivered on Monday some time during the day. Looking forward to flying FSX in double (not single) digits FPS for the first time ever!
I'm sure you will enjoy.But trust me building your own PC is so easy! It only gets "difficult" if you want to overclock, but Sandy Bridge makes that so much easier apparently 4.5Ghz on "air" (maybe with a 3rd party air cooler).

Matthew S

It only gets "difficult" if you want to overclock, but Sandy Bridge makes that so much easier apparently 4.5Ghz on "air" (maybe with a 3rd party air cooler).
People are getting 5GHz easily with the 2600K and a Megahalems I read.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

People are getting 5GHz easily with the 2600K and a Megahalems I read.
Excellent! I'm still running a Q6600 at stock 2.40GHz. So when I upgrade to SB 2600K if I get 5GHz it's 2 or maybe 3 times the power of the Q6600.Seems like the "Golden Age" of FSX is about to dawn. "Cheap" and powerful Sandy Bridge CPU/motherboards, SSD's coming down in price, and a maturing product lineup for FSX, especially with the PMDG 737NGX almost here.I might even start buying more airport add-ons if Sandy Bridge means I can run them smooth whilst running the PMDG lineup. The Q6600 doesn't quite seem to cut it with complex airports.

Matthew S

Ryan, do you own that piece of software and if so, do you like it? Do you recommend it or is it easier to just reinstall everything the old fashion way ?Taylor Oldham

Hi,I built an AMD rig this last time and very pleased with it. Cost me a whole £500 and I get a very awesome 70 FPS in FSX with heavy add-ons.Note that I do not max the sliders though - it seems Autogen is bugged and causes the sim to crash - it is fine when it is disabled.With DCS:Warthog Beta 4 I get a cool 40+ FPS at max detail, dropping to 25 when I've got both the targeting pod and maverick displays up. It is more complex than FSX in every respect.My system spec is:* AMD Phenom II X4 970 (3.5 GHz stock)* 8 Gb DDR3 1333 MHz* 1 Gb ATI Radeon HD5750* Win 7 x64 Pro* Asus A4M89GTD MoBo w/ AMD 890GX chipset and USB3It absolutely flies!Don't sweat not having an SSD drive - what is another 15 seconds waiting for FSX to load the sim? If you get obvious delays loading scenery *whilst flying*, you want to be looking elsewhere.

Don't know much about overclocking - is it difficult/dangerous (i.e. will it wear out the CPU faster?)?
Yes. The reason is due to electron bombardment of the transistor junctions - overclocking of the kind most do requires higher voltages to keep it stable, and it is these higher voltages that create the problem. The other major issue is heat. Doesn't take much of an overheat to break it. If the package is running at 80°C, the silicon is running at nearly 200°C. It melts at around 220°C so be careful.Best regards,Robin.

Yes. The reason is due to electron bombardment of the transistor junctions - overclocking of the kind most do requires higher voltages to keep it stable, and it is these higher voltages that create the problem. The other major issue is heat. Doesn't take much of an overheat to break it. If the package is running at 80°C, the silicon is running at nearly 200°C. It melts at around 220°C so be careful.Best regards,Robin.
LOL, come on. It's perfectly safe if done properly. If you keep your volts and temps in spec there's absolutely nothing to worry about. It only takes the necessary reading and some patience for testing