Sign in to follow this  
FrederikS

ACARS

Hi everyone,lately I read a statement from, I guess it was Ryan saying that PMDG will not implement ACARS in their upcoming 737.I've been playing around with my self programmed ACARS System for years. I am wondering what PMDG would require for implementing an ACARS system? Maybe someone from PMDG can contact me if you're interested in further explanation on how my system works. Sure anyone else is welcome to ask questions?CheersFrederik

PMDG partially implemented ACARS in the MD-11 for logging of block times. I think it is also in the 747.Best regards,Robin.

HiI know PMDG implemented the OOOI times in their 747. What I am looking at is an ACARS system capable of sending/receiving ACARS messages (via Internet), ADS-C support, CPDLC support and all the other neat stuff ACARS offers you...RegardsFrederik

Its all great having an ACARS system, but what functionality can an ACARS system accurately provide within the FSX environment?

I could be corrected if I am wrong, but ACARS varies greatly between airlines. Maybe, it would be better to state exactly what functions you are wanting to implement in ACARS. ACARS primary function is to send reports to the ground crews, useless for FS, however pilots can request information through ACARS such as weather at destination and high level cruise. This would be handy to have. Most airlines can use ACARS to automatically receive IFR clearance from ATC while it would not be terribly useful in FS, it might be handy to be able to send a flightplan to FS so that the built in ATC could know what you are doing and not try to fly you direct or VFR.

Its all great having an ACARS system, but what functionality can an ACARS system accurately provide within the FSX environment?
Hi,directly within the FSX environment: nothing! Except for maybe ATIS or METAR report request. I was thinking of IVAO or VATSIM environment.Frederik

You are kind of answering your own question then. It would require VATSIM/IVAO ATC running an appropriate software on their PC's or the servers to interface with the pilots NGX' FMC . Not sure if this kind of functionality can feasibly be coded into the FMC gauge directly. Ryan hinted that ACARS won't be included in the release, but maybe they will make provisions in the code for implementing ACARS in a service pack or by means of the SDK. Have a look at http://www.hoppie.nl/acars/ if you want to simulate ACARS, regardless of aircraft type.

Ok, it looks like I have to get a little bit more specific on what I meant.I have developed a dll file functioning as an ACARS MU (Management Unit). This file can be loaded by any gauge file out of the sim. This dll provides the same functionality as a real ACARS MU would e.g. receiving/sending messages, automated reports, ads contracts etc.! It works just like a real ACARS MU besides a few things that are not useful in a simulation environment e.g. the MU makes not difference whether a message is send while MU is in SAT, HF or VHF mode (the real MU does that because of different messages lengths). This ACARS MU communicates with a server side application acting on the one hand as the ground station/satellite the MU is logged on and on the other hand as the DSP (Data Service Provider e.g. ARINC). The server side app distributes the messages to other client side apps such as a CPDLC processor or a dispatch software (this applications have only been modeled for test purposes and would need further developement).I hopes this clears things up a bit.Sure I know the Hoppie ACARS, which is great for use with PS1.3. But my goal is to provide a environment that can be fully implemented into FSX.Best RegardsFrederik

I know nothing of PMDG's plans with respect to ACARS, but I'm sure they would incorporate it if they felt it was feasible. Not to suggest Fredericks work is basic in ANY way, but such functionality is almost certainly within PMDG's grasp. The question is more one of infrastructure. Who hosts the ACARS servers? Do you open the servers up to other addon devs to widen the Use of the technology, do you provide support to those devs?Simulating the pilot to ATC interactions of - say- the CPDLC would be straightforward too, but building it so that real VATSIM controllers could actually utilise it would be a big project to say the least. Super cool though. :)

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

PMDG partially implemented ACARS in the MD-11 for logging of block times. I think it is also in the 747.Best regards,Robin.
Sorry to ask, maybe i missed something, where do you find these partially implemented ACARS functions on the MD-11?? Never found them, but always needed the block time...I saw it in the 737, but never in the MD11...help me finding them...(But, searching for it, i found a secret...REF INIT page, press LSK5R, where it is blank...the FMS magically enter into a MAINTENANCE TEST menu where you can test the CDU unit...Big%20Grin.gif)Cheers,

Well, if not full arcas, it would be nice to be able to request the metar at te destination airport...instead of having to pause the sim, go to the map, look at the airport then write down the metar...Perhaps even the ability to print of the metar on our own printers... :(

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Hi Mark,you are absolutely right. Once this ACARS environment would be made public a whole lot more has to be considered e.g. has you mentioned - who will host servers?!?!? I'm running it here on my own little network server.I developed the environment according to the ARINC documents so I think as far as message handling or behavior of the MU is concerned it's quite realistic.RegardsFrederik

I think its a good idea and would welcome any developer who has an idea that may increase realism within our hobbie.

Hi Mark,you are absolutely right. Once this ACARS environment would be made public a whole lot more has to be considered e.g. has you mentioned - who will host servers?!?!? I'm running it here on my own little network server.I developed the environment according to the ARINC documents so I think as far as message handling or behavior of the MU is concerned it's quite realistic.RegardsFrederik
Sounds like a generous offering Frederik - I hope PMDG discusses it with you.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

To make it workable and practical ACARS would have to be a completely independent application running concurrently with FSX to which other entities (like aircraft, ATC, VATSIM, dispatch, etc.) could connect to and use it as a conduit to exchange data between themselves. If PMDG implemented ACARS only within NGX it would be but a tiny step - it would be like having a telephone receiver at home with no telephone communication lines. Taking some ARINC docs and doing some programming based on it is really just scratching the surface of the problem. Ultimately if fully implemented I guess only those using VATSIM or virtual airlines could make use of it.