Sign in to follow this  
Ioan92

So I just bought the MD-11 ^^

Hello everyone!Today, due to receiving my first credit card I was able to buy something over the net for the first time - without having someone else pay for me.Anyway as great prize I've decided to help PMDG a bit and buy their MD-11, a truly amazing aircraft, especially with Lee Marrow's HD textures.Everything is great and all, but before I begin my type studies for this one I'd like to know what to expect on my way, all experience I have is on the 747-400/8i so I don't really know how similar the jets are. Any pointers appreciated! :)

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

The only things in common between 747 and MD11 are the big size and the need of two pilots...Big%20Grin.gifNo, really, systems and management of the cockpit is a bit different...I suggest you to study the FMS and A/P very deep, because they are of a different logic respect the 747 ones...The systems are different in the number of backup circuits and the automatic operations of controllers in the MD-11. Other important things you need to focus on are the dial-flaps, the spoiler operations, the automatic operations made by the various systems and the flying procedures, for which i recommend a detailed reading on the FCTM (those are the basic things that really differs from any other plane...)Then, if you like, try to open the system manual and read everything to master this beautiful aircraft...the manuals provided by PMDG are the "real thing" except for some chapters left out...(ACARS, Datalink, Water & Waste, and other useless systems unavailable in FS)I love it for a lot of reasons, despite of the fact that was an unfortunate plane in the real world, and i'm sure you will enjoy it like everyone else...Be patient and remember that is a different kind of plane (and a different class...rolleyes.gif) from any Boeing or Airbus out there...Cheers,

The only things in common between 747 and MD11 are the big size and the need of two pilots...Big%20Grin.gifNo, really, systems and management of the cockpit is a bit different...I suggest you to study the FMS and A/P very deep, because they are of a different logic respect the 747 ones...The systems are different in the number of backup circuits and the automatic operations of controllers in the MD-11. Other important things you need to focus on are the dial-flaps, the spoiler operations, the automatic operations made by the various systems and the flying procedures, for which i recommend a detailed reading on the FCTM (those are the basic things that really differs from any other plane...)Then, if you like, try to open the system manual and read everything to master this beautiful aircraft...the manuals provided by PMDG are the "real thing" except for some chapters left out...(ACARS, Datalink, Water & Waste, and other useless systems unavailable in FS)I love it for a lot of reasons, despite of the fact that was an unfortunate plane in the real world, and i'm sure you will enjoy it like everyone else...Be patient and remember that is a different kind of plane (and a different class...rolleyes.gif) from any Boeing or Airbus out there...Cheers,
Thanks for the info mate! Really appreciate it!Looking forward to haul some trash out of Frankfurt!

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

No problem for me!If you have any question don't hesitate to ask! smile.gif

The main thing to remember when comparing the 2:MD-11 burns more fuel in a trip and requires more attention than the queen (making it a lot of fun)MD-11 range is 6800nmMD-11 Is tricky to land sometimes. MD-11 is incredibly advanced (again lots of fun)The FMC is just mintage!!The overall simulation is on a different level to anything else. You won't regret purchasing the md-11. Top tip. Plan your fuel carefully. Many times if the winds etc or other problems caused me to divert for fuel stop. Doesn't half annoy the folk in the back. :)

The main thing to remember when comparing the 2:MD-11 burns more fuel in a trip and requires more attention than the queen (making it a lot of fun)MD-11 range is 6800nmMD-11 Is tricky to land sometimes. MD-11 is incredibly advanced (again lots of fun)The FMC is just mintage!!The overall simulation is on a different level to anything else. You won't regret purchasing the md-11. Top tip. Plan your fuel carefully. Many times if the winds etc or other problems caused me to divert for fuel stop. Doesn't half annoy the folk in the back. :)
Well It will definitely not annoy my folks as they will be boxes full of goodies! :)Jokes aside, I have completed my FIRST FLIGHT! EDDF-EDDFEverything in this jet seems to be a breeze besides the FMC. The one that was on the 747 seems to be so tidy, organized and clean.. The one on the MD-11 looks like a room upside down since there's text everywhere! I was really lost with the FMC but I managed to build a route and fly it. LNAV (NAV) was ok but my VNAV (PROF) was an absolute disaster. I still don't understand how I managed to do an auto land at 200 kts!Things I noticed (or probably got wrong):- It appears that the FMC doesn't do automatic calculations anymore.. I had to alt tab and open my load manager to get the values for the ZFW, ZFW CG and such. Same for the TO/APPR, could not figure out how to get a VAPP and VREF, just put one I used on the 747 for trial.. near disaster! lol.Same thing for my VNAV, I had to bloody idea why there wasn't any T/C or T/D even after putting a cruise level!...And on and on... The FMC is always the last thing I fully master! I also noticed that the MD-11 updated my AIRAC to 0808, pretty cool. I wish I'd use the lastest ones but they feel just useless since the FS world never changes.. There should be a global fsx update for that imo.The best part though, is the FPS. With the 747, I get 40 FPS sitting on 7R at EDDF, with the MD-11 I get 50!. Damn good! Will look incredible when I service my PC with a new "engine" :PAnd as a last here are some captures showing my successful failure:

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

- It appears that the FMC doesn't do automatic calculations anymore.. I had to alt tab and open my load manager to get the values for the ZFW, ZFW CG and such. Same for the TO/APPR, could not figure out how to get a VAPP and VREF, just put one I used on the 747 for trial.. near disaster! lol.
The FMS does auto calcs for weights and CG, just right click, then the number will show up in the scratchpad. As for V-Speeds, make sure you've filled out everything on the TO page. You won't get V-Speeds until you've filled it out.Try the tutorial, it helps a ton. :( Good luck with the rest of your training.

The FMS does auto calcs for weights and CG, just right click, then the number will show up in the scratchpad. As for V-Speeds, make sure you've filled out everything on the TO page. You won't get V-Speeds until you've filled it out.Try the tutorial, it helps a ton. :( Good luck with the rest of your training.
Sure will do!.. But I need a lift to EGLL! ...... Time to take the 747-8 VIP out! :D

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Guest nzch2010

I highly recommend this http://www.topcatsim.com/I load the MD11 via wide fs and does a fantastic job of weight and balance and fuel calculations. Will do other aircraft as well like the 747 and Lvld 767 to name just a few.Never fly without it.Julian Evans

Happy you enjoyed it! As i said the FMC is something different from everything out there...Only some little study on the FMS manual or the tutorial will help you very much.And about the weights and CGs you can right-click on LSK to populate those boxes...(as said by Mike) or you can write down those values using the load manager...The TO PAGE needs to be fully populated, and then, you will have the V-Speeds coming up and to be confirmed by pressing on their left...one trick or suggestion, before preparing the page you need to select the RWY and, THEN go to TO PAGE and set OAT, wind and slope (0.0 in FS...)...FLAPS and FLEX can be selected before you select the RWY itself...This because if you select RWY after setting the TO PAGE (or changing RWY after you have selected all for the flight) you will find those values blank again, and you will have to refill the TO PAGE...Cheers

When I first tried MD11 after same B747, I was shocked about strange way the FMC works. Now, after a year, I cant understand how "ugly" the Boeing FMC does! Just%20Kidding.gifActually they both work pretty cool, just need to get used to. ;)Have fun with MD11! It's truly the best so far on sim.

Well It will definitely not annoy my folks as they will be boxes full of goodies! :)Jokes aside, I have completed my FIRST FLIGHT! EDDF-EDDF
Well done. For your next flight, do the tutorial. Then do it again. Everytime you encounter something you don't understand, or are not sure of, or are only doing because the tutorial tells you to, go back to the manuals to find out why. The MD-11 is a more modern aircraft then the 747-400 and the systems reflect that. It is more highly automated and takes more planning and effort to get it set up correctly before a flight, but the payback is that the flight itself requires less effort.

Allrighty!I can positively say that I've mastered the plane at about 90% besides a few weirds like doesn't the FMC tell you when you're nearing the T/D and what exactly to do. Along with that; Go-Arounds are a bit weird because the new approach I type in doesn't recieve VPP and VREF only altitude marks. No speeds per waypoint either.Also, who doesn't love ######ing Betty! (BEEEP BEEEP FUUUUUUULLLLAAAAP!)LOL.gif

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

I'm not trying to be mean here, but if you claim to have truly mastered the plane, I'm hoping you no longer fly as you did in screenshot two above. You're exceeding the flap speed (note the FLAP DISAGREE warning on the EICAS, because the plane is saving you from being assaulted by maintenance for damaging the flaps by automatically partially retracting them) and you're also well above the REF speed. I can see that you have 150 dialed in, but you have to 'set' the speed by clicking on the knob. Better yet, you should just left it on FMS speed and the aircraft will take care of all of that for you. You're also in an autoland mode. I'd consider mastery being able to land the aircraft yourself, but that's just me. Otherwise, I would have said good job hitting the upper glidepath, as is appropriate for this aircraft.

Kyle Rodgers