Sign in to follow this  
B748

Unstable FPS on FSX

Hello,After VGA upgrading from 285 to 580 and using automated tweaking (by *******), my fsx gave me good performance(FPS). But I have a problem(also before tweaking and upgrade to 580GTX I had it) on some heavy sceneries such as KJFK(FSDT) during night my FPS drops from ~28 to 9 or 10 for one or two seconds then again back to 28 or 30!? What is the problem? Any solution? I expect FPS can drop on heavy sceneries but should stable! I mean drops to 14 or less but must remain unchanged on same view. Why it plays and jump between 28 < -- > 9 < -- > 28?:( Also I use GEX + UTX + REX textures + ASE.Core i7 @3.8 /6GB RAM/ Win7 64 / 580GTXWith frame rate “Unlimited” and locked via external FPS limiter to 30.Vsync on inspector is “use 3d application settings”.and these are some other settings on my fsx.cfg:[Display]...TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=10TextureMaxLoad=30[GRAPHICS]...TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048TEXTURE_QUALITY=3Text_Scroll=0HIGHMEMFIX=1ALLOW_SHADER_30=1[Main]FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1...[sCENERY]DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=4LENSFLARE=0SmallPartRejectRadius=4.0[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=6000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=6000AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3DETAIL_TEXTURE=1LOD_RADIUS=4.500000MESH_COMPLEXITY=100MESH_RESOLUTION=22TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29WATER_EFFECTS=5[bufferPools]PoolSize=0RejectThreshold=131072Thanks for advice Bob

Guest TomOOO

FSX does many different calculations - some all the time, and some every minute orso. Therefore, you will get a base level fps (lets say 30), but maybe it is justabout getting this fps. Then you move and a texture update is requested (about every minute), or a weather loadis done (every 15 minutes by default), or a traffic rehash is done - then the fps willdrop. The amount the base level fps is effected depends on many things1) Whether you machine is just maintain 30fps or easily maintaing this (you have a limiter)2) The number of CPU/ affinity mask you are using and whether the main core is affected bythe thread that does the new work.3) Whether there was a request for a texture update immediately (you changed panel view) which clashed with a read of data for the new textures.This variability depends on many things and can be difficult to pin down. You are pushing yourmachine to the limit - the fps will be more variable as any extra load will have a big effect.A simple solution would be to internally or externally limit the fps to say 25 - to give yourcomputer some breathing space to do this extra work each minute - does that reduce the variability(Of course - you could move a slider to the left a bit :) :)

Are there jitters when this happens? As long as FSX is smooth, I wouldn't worry too much about the FPS.If you are having jitters, then try lowering your AutoGen slider down 1 notch and see if this improves things and as the preview post indicated, locking down your FPS rate will also help.Regards,

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

Just for testing purposes, maybe you might want to see if the FSDT scenery itself is causing the FPS spikes. Just remove it temporarily using the Scenery Library checkmark and fly the same flight. Or maybe you have some other scenery in the area that is getting "activated" when you fly your test flight. I have found framerate "interference" from airports/cities that are 20 miles away. Doesn't the DT scenery have some extra AddOns available from the FSX pulldown menus that can change some of your settings?

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Thanks again guys,

Try TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=70
Sorry , was not better than my setting (TBM=10)Regards

[bufferPools]PoolSize=0RejectThreshold=131072Bob
Bob, with the newer cards (480/580) using bufferpools *IS* beneficial because of the increased video memory speed /GPU raw power. Remove the PoolSize=0 line completely and test again, you'll see that the FPS drops are less drastic. Leave onle RejectThreshold=131072 in the [bufferPools] section.

Bob, with the newer cards (480/580) using bufferpools *IS* beneficial because of the increased video memory speed /GPU raw power. Remove the PoolSize=0 line completely and test again, you'll see that the FPS drops are less drastic. Leave onle RejectThreshold=131072 in the [bufferPools] section.
+1 - Works best on my 580GTX.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Bob, with the newer cards (480/580) using bufferpools *IS* beneficial because of the increased video memory speed /GPU raw power. Remove the PoolSize=0 line completely and test again, you'll see that the FPS drops are less drastic. Leave onle RejectThreshold=131072 in the [bufferPools]section.
Thanks ******* , my 285 was crashed on BP=0 so i have to use RejectThreshold but on 580 I have not problem with it, anyway I will set RejectThreshold again and remove BP=0 for better result.RegardsBob

Bob, with the newer cards (480/580) using bufferpools *IS* beneficial because of the increased video memory speed /GPU raw power. Remove the PoolSize=0 line completely and test again, you'll see that the FPS drops are less drastic. Leave onle RejectThreshold=131072 in the [bufferPools]section.
Hey I'm having a serious unstable FPS issue also. The Poolsize in my fsx.cfg is set to 50000 for some reason. Is that gonna cause a problem?