Sign in to follow this  
pgaudet

Possible new 'tweak' for FS9

Thanks for the continuing feedback, guys ! :( I'll be rather pre-occupied with business commitments until sometime next week. :( Then I plan to edit and post some more tweaks that folks might wish to test for improving FS9 appearance and performance. :( GaryGB

I am sure that textures become crisper faster with this tweak - I am definitely going to keep it. But as I mentioned in another thread (UT Waterclass) Paul, I still seem to have some difficulty getting roads into focus. Two screenshots below. As you can see, they dots to focus into something (not sure if always roads though, they sometimes just seem to disappear??). Martin

Thanks for the continuing feedback, guys ! :( I'll be rather pre-occupied with business commitments until sometime next week. :( Then I plan to edit and post some more tweaks that folks might wish to test for improving FS9 appearance and performance. :( GaryGB
Standing-by here Gary Thanks very much for your help. FS9 now looks better to me than FSX, on my machine.Regards

I am sure that textures become crisper faster with this tweak - I am definitely going to keep it. But as I mentioned in another thread (UT Waterclass) Paul, I still seem to have some difficulty getting roads into focus. Two screenshots below. As you can see, they dots to focus into something (not sure if always roads though, they sometimes just seem to disappear??). Martin
Guys, this tweak is in my eyes another hit and miss.I tried it, I am a big lover of FS9, but it doesn't bring a thing, much like the old TML tweak which everyone have grown so fond if, because it "loads textures faster". It's all a placebo effect, nothing else.First of all martin, your two screenshots are not the same. You aircraft is in two different positions, test shots can't be taken like that.Suggest following: load a default aircraft, position it, set view to locked, PAUSE the flight and then save it.Change setting, load that flight, make a shot, close the sim, change setting again, load the flightm make a shot etc.That will give you the right perspective into what the tweak exactly does and 100% comparable screenshots between which you can swap to see the change.Moreover, also I have tested TML to such extent, to find out it's not loading textures not even a millisecond faster.You've already found my thread about the whole thing:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/261948-blurry-in-the-distance/page__p__1643477#entry1643477Too bad the test shots are not online any more. I don't have them any more either.As you can notice, I don't really participate in this thread, because FS9 is for me max-tweaked and there is nothing that can be done to extend that, IMO. I would rather do some flying and FSX tweaking :(

Word Not Allowed, you misunderstand: the two screenshots were to show how the dots 'come into focus' as you get a bit closer to them, not to compare before and after setting up the tweak (tweak applied in both screenshots). I refer to the other thread about waterclass in which that was mentioned.Shame you don't believe in FS9 tweaks - you seem to imply that Microsoft got FS9 100% perfect at the time they issued it ("FS9 is for me max-tweaked"). Even Steve Lacey (one of the Aces team who made DFS9) doesn't say that (read his blogs). Certainly some of the changes made to the FS9.cfg file under Display and Terrain have known positive effects - very obvious on my PC. But it's always the way in this kind of thread. You say this tweak 'a placebo effect, nothing else': someone else (further up the thread) says exactly the opposite. The only thing to do is to try it and see if it improves things in FS9 on one's own rig. I have the idea that it does - textures come into focus faster than before, though that may be a coincidence and be due to something else entirely. What is clear is that what works on one PC may not on another, and vice-versa. Not surprising when people's setups are so varied re. hardware and software. So the fact that you see no difference on your PC does not mean that someone else is imagining things when seeing the results on their very different machine.I would encourage people to try this tweak - it's so easy to change back if you feel it does nothing, or has side-effects. So far, as I say, I am not getting the persistent areas of blurred ground texture that I had before, so I am leaving it installed.Martin

Guys, this tweak is in my eyes another hit and miss.I tried it, I am a big lover of FS9, but it doesn't bring a thing, much like the old TML tweak which everyone have grown so fond if, because it "loads textures faster". It's all a placebo effect, nothing else.First of all martin, your two screenshots are not the same. You aircraft is in two different positions, test shots can't be taken like that.Suggest following: load a default aircraft, position it, set view to locked, PAUSE the flight and then save it.Change setting, load that flight, make a shot, close the sim, change setting again, load the flightm make a shot etc.That will give you the right perspective into what the tweak exactly does and 100% comparable screenshots between which you can swap to see the change.Moreover, also I have tested TML to such extent, to find out it's not loading textures not even a millisecond faster.You've already found my thread about the whole thing:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/261948-blurry-in-the-distance/page__p__1643477#entry1643477Too bad the test shots are not online any more. I don't have them any more either.As you can notice, I don't really participate in this thread, because FS9 is for me max-tweaked and there is nothing that can be done to extend that, IMO. I would rather do some flying and FSX tweaking :(
Word Not Allowed, I have to respectfully disagree and I am as much a skeptic as anyone else. First of all, to change the FS9.cfg values takes all of 3 minutes and then you fly, not sure why you are making out like this is such a tedious process. And I propose you don't start the sim and take a pic but fly for 6,12 or 40+ hours doing real flights testing it like me... It took me a while to even try this and I did not modify the terrain.cfg just the FS9.cfg values. Also, I actually used values lower than the OP as when I introduced the OP's #'s I got some AA/AF issues with my GPU which was my first sign these values really did make a difference. Removed the values and AA/AF returned to normal. Then tweaked the #'s a couple of times to what I felt got the same results as the OP without any issues with my GPU.My Tweaks combined with the OP...Max unlimited vis=96560Cloud Draw Distance=103D CLoud Percentage=100Pan_Rate=900Texture_Max_Load=4096Texture_Bandwidth_Mult=8000 I wasn't sure at first either but I can say with confidence the FS9.cfg changes do have an affect on the "blurries." It is not placebo on my box, after a few long flights with both it becomes more and more obvious both when flying in the VC and especially when changing views. As someone with thousands of hours in FS9 the change was really noticeable when I went back to my stock .cfg. Immediately noticeable on a few 6+ and 12+ hour flights to test. Probably about 40 hours of flight time with this tweak to test. Flew into EGCC yesterday and noticed I could see the beaches of Blackpool with detailed textures as I passed Liverpool. NEVER had that before, they will always pop in for a sec and then go away. So again, I respectfully disagree and to say FS9 is max tweaked is just silly. To assume we know EVERYTHING there is to know about this sim is just silly IMHO. Not calling you silly but saying to assume we understand and know everything there is to know is silly... Maybe your fs9.cfg is perfect or your machine has a lot more HP than others and I am glad your FS9 is perfect for you but there are plenty of us myself included who definitely disagree that this is just a placebo affect despite you being so positive we are all wrong...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Could someone please summarize the tweaks tested in this thread so far? It would be helpful since this thread has got so long. Much appreciated.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guys, this tweak is in my eyes another hit and miss.I tried it, I am a big lover of FS9, but it doesn't bring a thing, much like the old TML tweak which everyone have grown so fond if, because it "loads textures faster". It's all a placebo effect, nothing else.
I agree with Word Not Allowed, after 8 years with FS9, I dont see any difference, nor performance increase, nor reduction in blurries. Its all the same.Sorry.. its in the design of FS9The Texture_Max_Load=1024 is for the texture sizes, and doesn work on airplanes.Texture_Bandwidth_Mult=xxx (400 usally) is wel explained on one of the MS blogs, and on this forum. Nothing todo with the VRAM. Its a throttle, but not sure what the limit is.and so on..

Word Not Allowed, you misunderstand: the two screenshots were to show how the dots 'come into focus' as you get a bit closer to them, not to compare before and after setting up the tweak (tweak applied in both screenshots). I refer to the other thread about waterclass in which that was mentioned.
I just wanted to chime in one last time on this topic.Sorry Martin if I misunderstood.And regarding max-tweaked does NOT mean that I did not tweak it nor that Microsoft made it 100%.It means: I applied all the tweaks there are that make a difference in FS9 and that's it. No more. Everything else is placebo, IMO. I also did a longer test on this tweak, but after 2 flight I saw no change and I reverted it. It doesn't really matter on my computer how long the flight, if 10 hours or 10 minutes, I have no blurries, I have no problems with FS9 or anything. It's fast, it's clear (what clear means for FS9) and great graphics.

I just wanted to chime in one last time on this topic.Sorry Martin if I misunderstood.And regarding max-tweaked does NOT mean that I did not tweak it nor that Microsoft made it 100%.It means: I applied all the tweaks there are that make a difference in FS9 and that's it. No more. Everything else is placebo, IMO. I also did a longer test on this tweak, but after 2 flight I saw no change and I reverted it. It doesn't really matter on my computer how long the flight, if 10 hours or 10 minutes, I have no blurries, I have no problems with FS9 or anything. It's fast, it's clear (what clear means for FS9) and great graphics.
right, so b/c it has no impact on your beast of a system don't underestimate the fact it may have a significant impact on lesser systems that did have some blurries or experienced a little delay in texture sharpening when switching views. Agree to disagree,Cheers,-P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Word Not Allowed - no problem re. the misunderstanding. But to say "I applied all the tweaks there are that make a difference in FS9" is a bit 'sweeping' to say the least and is going to be a red rag to a bull on this forum (and any other)! You cannot possibly know that. No one can. Be open-minded about it: if the tweak doesn't work for you, that really is the most you can say (i.e. "it didn't work for me"), but as I posted before (and others have repeated), your saying that, because you see no difference, therefore everyone else must be succumbing to a placebo effect is just a teeny, weeny (dare I say) bit 'arrogant' (and carries the slightly unfortunate implication that everyone who says this tweak works for them is ignorant and/or gullible)? No offence intended Word Not Allowed, I know you have a lot of great input in this forum, but I think that that is how anyone who HAS seen a definite difference in performance will read your comments. As I said, personally, I wouldn't push it - I am 90% sure that I get better performance in the way I have described, but it may, just possibly, be a coincidence. Other people seem 100% certain though that this teak has helped.Martin

Word Not Allowed - no problem re. the misunderstanding. But to say "I applied all the tweaks there are that make a difference in FS9" is a bit 'sweeping' to say the least and is going to be a red rag to a bull on this forum (and any other)! You cannot possibly know that. No one can. Be open-minded about it: if the tweak doesn't work for you, that really is the most you can say (i.e. "it didn't work for me"), but as I posted before (and others have repeated), your saying that, because you see no difference, therefore everyone else must be succumbing to a placebo effect is just a teeny, weeny (dare I say) bit 'arrogant' (and carries the slightly unfortunate implication that everyone who says this tweak works for them is ignorant and/or gullible)? No offence intended Word Not Allowed, I know you have a lot of great input in this forum, but I think that that is how anyone who HAS seen a definite difference in performance will read your comments. As I said, personally, I wouldn't push it - I am 90% sure that I get better performance in the way I have described, but it may, just possibly, be a coincidence. Other people seem 100% certain though that this teak has helped.Martin
Alright, then I'll just agree to your post and say: I haven't seen any benefit of those tweaks (previously TML and co, now this new one) since my past 5 computers (P4, C2D E6600 and E8500, i7 920 and 2600k) and different kinds of graphic cards ranging from ATI to Nvidia, but if others are seeing improvements, by all means, use them. Older I can't remember what was...Good luck!

Guest frito

First here are some basic system specs on my home built machine:AMD 555 @ 3.2 ghz4 GB RAM64 bit WIN 7NVIDIA GTX460 w/1 mb VRAMFS9.0 (I don't like 9.1)I made the change to the terrain.cfg and made one test flight from KCEW overflying KVPS and KHRT in Florida, my home btw.I've made significant modifications to the whole area with Google earth, ADE9 and Rwy12, building/modifying all of the WWII "aux" fields in this area and changing these 3 fields as well.Unfortunately I've been plagued with severe blurries ever since on every flight and after making this change I can report perfect scenery without any loss of detail.Absolutely no hint of any blurries and I'm getting +/- 50 fps with everything turned up. I'm going to try the other "fix" mentioned here to see what affect it has but I'm very happy with my setup as is.

Guest frito
First here are some basic system specs on my home built machine:AMD 555 @ 3.2 ghz4 GB RAM64 bit WIN 7NVIDIA GTX460 w/1 mb VRAMFS9.0 (I don't like 9.1)
oops.... the video card has 1024 mb VRAM, slight typo there originally.