Sign in to follow this  
sonaljay7

High FPS but micro stutters

Hey guys,I am currently using an external fps limiter set to 35 and the fsx fps limiter at unlimited. The FPS always remains above 35 and the minimum i have ever seen it is around 32. But, whenever I use the wingview and look down, I see micro stuuters along the scenery. My autogen is set to extremely dense. Any help would be greatly appreciated!Thanks

I personally stopped using the fps limiter for this exact reason, stutters. I have experimented with internal limiter and so far locked at 40-45 seems to be very smooth. I suppose you could also lock it higher depending on flying conditions.

Hi, you can start by deleting your fsx.cfg file since some fsx.cfg tweaks may cause micro stutters.

Uygar

Best Regards

I personally stopped using the fps limiter for this exact reason, stutters. I have experimented with internal limiter and so far locked at 40-45 seems to be very smooth. I suppose you could also lock it higher depending on flying conditions.
Hey flytrumpet, thanks for your suggestion. Going to try it now.Had a look at your sig, and your system seems quite similar to mine. Hows your fsx experience, any stutters at all?
Hi, you can start by deleting your fsx.cfg file since some fsx.cfg tweaks may cause micro stutters.
Thanks, I ll try it out

Same here regardless of purported performance increases. I'm currently using Bojote's auto fsx.cfg (against my better judgement), replacing the RejectThreshold with UsePools=0. Locked at 30fps, it's working pretty well so far.Cheers,Mark

Hey guys,I am currently using an external fps limiter set to 35 and the fsx fps limiter at unlimited. The FPS always remains above 35 and the minimum i have ever seen it is around 32. But, whenever I use the wingview and look down, I see micro stuuters along the scenery. My autogen is set to extremely dense. Any help would be greatly appreciated!Thanks
I found a combination of locking fps inside FSX at 30 and using the AffinityMask setting (either 12 or 14) tobe the best cure for microstutters.

Bert

I found a combination of locking fps inside FSX at 30 and using the AffinityMask setting (either 12 or 14) tobe the best cure for microstutters.
I just tried this setup and indeed it's definately smoother, thanks Bert. Everything is steady at 30 everywhere in any conditions.

I use the AM=14 as well with great results.

Really depends on the system, I'm using the limiter locked at 30, unlimited in game = smooooth!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

and I'm setup the same as Bert, but smooooth like Ryan.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Same here. Truly great minds think alike.
Another thing that really helped me was to change filtering to trilinear within FSX, and uncheck AA. For some reason that made a difference.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Same here regardless of purported performance increases. I'm currently using Bojote's auto fsx.cfg (against my better judgement), replacing the RejectThreshold with UsePools=0. Locked at 30fps, it's working pretty well so far.Cheers,Mark
The 'perf increases' really came from setting FSX' internal limiter to UNLIMITED. The external frame lock was proposed to prevent, in some configurations, some video surges/lurches that would come when there were periods of large variability from moment to moment as the sim ran. These surges would only occur when FSX was set at UNLIMITED. Many noticed when the internal limiter was set to say, 30, the video surges would disappear, however many noted overall frame rate diminished (would only run at say 25 even when the int limiter was set at 30, whereas if set at UNLIMITED and locked externally at 30, the sim would run at 30). From following this topic, it became apparent the surge issue was not consistent among machines, though clearly more common w/ Core2 Duo/Quads than the newer i processors. I have no stutters and use FPS_Limiter.exe, and it's a huge help for what it is.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

The 'perf increases' really came from setting FSX' internal limiter to UNLIMITED. The external frame lock was proposed to prevent, in some configurations, some video surges/lurches that would come when there were periods of large variability from moment to moment as the sim ran. These surges would only occur when FSX was set at UNLIMITED. Many noticed when the internal limiter was set to say, 30, the video surges would disappear, however many noted overall frame rate diminished (would only run at say 25 even when the int limiter was set at 30, whereas if set at UNLIMITED and locked externally at 30, the sim would run at 30). From following this topic, it became apparent the surge issue was not consistent among machines, though clearly more common w/ Core2 Duo/Quads than the newer i processors. I have no stutters and use FPS_Limiter.exe, and it's a huge help for what it is.Noel
My machine has to be set at 30fps with the internal limiter. With the external limiter set at 30 (running unlimted), I'll get variations between 21 and 49 pretty consistently which causes stutters on my system. I have scenery and AG sliders set which allow consistent 30fps with the internal limiter making a smooth ride. A GTX580 doesn't hurt either :(

Really depends on the system, I'm using the limiter locked at 30, unlimited in game = smooooth!
Guys I am so frustrated. People who have systems very similar to mine seem to have really smooth performance. But whatever I try, I am still able to see the stutters.What I dont get, is that even though my FPS is fixed at 35, why do i still get stutters. I have tried all of your suggestions to no avail.Any other advice?

Guys I am so frustrated. People who have systems very similar to mine seem to have really smooth performance. But whatever I try, I am still able to see the stutters.What I dont get, is that even though my FPS is fixed at 35, why do i still get stutters. I have tried all of your suggestions to no avail.Any other advice?
I've traced back stutters to a few things:FSX set to unlimited: Avoid this by using the external limiter or lock fsx fps to 30-40.No Affinity Mask tweak in cfg: I have mine set to 14.No Bufferpools setting in the cfg: This is critical. I have mine set at BP=3000 and it's silky smooth. Plus I have an additional 10-15 fps. I have a gtx 480. I could not accomplish this setting with a gtx285. Like many, I got crashes, black screens, dots, etc.Check your traffic settings. They can also contribute to micro-stutters. I hope this helps.Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.