Sign in to follow this  
frankla

Is it me or do they look like re runs

How dare someone post constructive criticism about the holy of holies. I can almost guarantee that if a similar topic was posted but with a positive slant towards Flight the OP wouldn't be met with such defensive replies. There's no need to jump down the throat of anyone who doesn't praise Microsoft, I really don't get why some people here protect Flight from criticism with such passion.Obviously I think that the test area for Flight is Hawaii and because of this we are seeing shots and video from this one small area. I think rather than traditional marketing material, you might want to look at the images and videos being released as more of a developing diary, kind of like they are letting us in for the ride from the very early stages through to the finished product. Another possible reason is they could be wanting feedback throughout the development cycle to help steer the direction they will take. Personally I really like this approach but if you just want the creme de la creme of marketing material I would suggest waiting until close to release.

May I also add my comment in a form of a question if this is Ok with all of you :( , is it possible that what we are seeing from Flight (meaning Hawaii) is from a dev. addons.....I mean so far if Hawaii and the main airport and the rest of the sim is to look like that who will need addons right? If the only part of Flight we are seeing so far is Hawaii. because the sim is in early development the rest of the world (when the sim is ready) should look like Hawaii including airport... right ...because we can't have it both way....Hawaii is straight out of the box from Flight and the rest of the world will look as good as Hawaii OR it's an addon and the rest of the world will not look as good as Hawaii unless we buy the area we want to fly over to look as good as Hawaii.....so which one is it?

Certain areas of the World have been done in higher resolution and higher detail in FSX. One such area was Hawaii. Just because Hawaii is done in such detail does not mean that the whole World will be the same.So, it is not an add-on. It may look like add-on quality, when compared to FSX, but it will likely be standard for Flight for Hawaii -- unless of course Hawaii will not even exist unless you buy it in a DLC. <bg>

Certain areas of the World have been done in higher resolution and higher detail in FSX. One such area was Hawaii. Just because Hawaii is done in such detail does not mean that the whole World will be the same.So, it is not an add-on. It may look like add-on quality, when compared to FSX, but it will likely be standard for Flight for Hawaii -- unless of course Hawaii will not even exist unless you buy it in a DLC. <bg>
So you can have it both way, Flight will have part of the world looking like Hawaii and you'll be on the hook as far as buying addons for the rest of the world because MS will not make Flight look like Hawaii all around.....am I getting this right?

Surely performance comes into play here? So FSX may have it in the same resolution, but how many frames per second do you get with everything cranked up? I don't want to have to overclock an Ivy Bridge to 6ghz+, if its even possible, to play Flight and don't want the same problems we had when FSX was released - give me FSX tweaked with FS9 performance and i'll be quite happy.

Surely performance comes into play here? So FSX may have it in the same resolution, but how many frames per second do you get with everything cranked up? I don't want to have to overclock an Ivy Bridge to 6ghz+, if its even possible, to play Flight and don't want the same problems we had when FSX was released - give me FSX tweaked with FS9 performance and i'll be quite happy.
Here, you did not see my other post, Flight will be DX10 in SLI as you can see in the Nvidia Inspector so the perf. should be a lot better IF they offload the CPU work to the GPU if not it will help the graphics only...by the way it's kinda funny nobody but one member had anything to add to my post about Flight DX10 SLI....http://forum.avsim.net/topic/332357-nvidia-inspector-showing-flight/

Here, you did not see my other post, Flight will be DX10 in SLI as you can see in the Nvidia Inspector so the perf. should be a lot better IF they offload the CPU work to the GPU if not it will help the graphics only...by the way it's kinda funny nobody but one member had anything to add to my post about Flight DX10 SLI....http://forum.avsim.n...showing-flight/
Thats really good news, hopefully should lessen the load of the CPU and make everything better all round.

you are not being truthful.. or you have not been on many forums ........ This is nowhere near the worst the nets had to offer.
Other communities have people spitting vitriol and you can pretty much write them off as angry kids. Here, we're graced with high and mighty downtalking from addon developers. It's an arrogance that pretty much turns me off from whatever they'd have to offer.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

MS has been giving us scenery shots and movies about Flight for almost 8 months and they all have been shots of a very small area of Hawaii! Its like watching re-runs of an opening episode repeatedly. To me this is bad marketing. Come on Microsoft, It has been 8 months and you keep showing us the same thing over and over. Please move on and show us something different for heaven's sake. If you don't have any other area types developed, perhaps you were not ready to announce Flight in August.
:( IMO...It’s not really a marketing strategy…it is a production strategy.Generally games -all games- are built around a ‘vertical slice’.That’s one feature complete area, or level, where all the structures and processes get sorted out.Once that’s done the other levels are built to match.So developers can add more people and say to them - ‘make the game just like this’It’s very risky to build out the entire game at once because things do/must change along the way.Making substantial changes to the vertical slice isn’t very painful.But if you’ve already got a small army of people building out the entire world changes are painful…You’d better get your act together in the vertical slice.So when the rest of the world looks like Hawaii (hopefully) they’ll be done ;)

:( IMO...It’s not really a marketing strategy…it is a production strategy.Generally games -all games- are built around a ‘vertical slice’.That’s one feature complete area, or level, where all the structures and processes get sorted out.Once that’s done the other levels are built to match.So developers can add more people and say to them - ‘make the game just like this’It’s very risky to build out the entire game at once because things do/must change along the way.Making substantial changes to the vertical slice isn’t very painful.But if you’ve already got a small army of people building out the world changes are painful…You’d better get your act together in the vertical slice.So when the rest of the world looks like Hawaii (hopefully) they’ll be done ;)
...You're awesome?I totally agree, OMG, would we honestly wait a extra month... or maybe more, just for them to do some quick changes? Ones that could have been done now to the 'vertical slice' ... No, and I'm pleased they have only shown us Hawaii , because Hawaii has a lot of diverse scenery... so it can show some examples of what other parts of the world might look like, in a sense smile.gifJamie ♥

AH! Still slugging it out I see guys.Frustrated.gifI recommend tea and Valium.Cuppa.gifYawn.gif Andiiiiiiiiiiiisnores loudly
Yup, and a long break by going out of doors!

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.