Sign in to follow this  
skyking93

Sitting in the Cockpit

Hey everyone I have a question, I will be flying next month and I was wondering if I wait till all the other passengers are off the plane will the crew let me look at the cockpit and maybe get a picture sitting in the cockpit?Thanks, Joel

Hey everyone I have a question, I will be flying next month and I was wondering if I wait till all the other passengers are off the plane will the crew let me look at the cockpit and maybe get a picture sitting in the cockpit?Thanks, Joel
Joel, it's possible but without knowing what country you will be flying in, what airline, the turnaround time on the ground, etc it's impossible to say for sure. All you can do is ask the lead flight attendant politely and explain your interest. Silly as it sounds, dress tidily, it can make a difference. I've seen a young guy dressed like he was in a south central LA gang who asked politely but was flat refused. On the second sector (same crew) another young guy who was dressed in much nicer gears asked and was allowed up for a look. Maybe there's nothing in it, but who knows! :biggrin:EDIT: One more thought. Ask the flight attendant during the cruise if possible, emphasising you would like a look in the flight deck on your way off the plane. If you wait until everyone is off the aircraft before asking, it might only be a matter of minutes until the next flight starts boarding and the answer might be 'no'.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Thanks for the advise, the airline is Alaska, flying round trip SNA-PDX. I haven't flown very much and I was wondering how do you tell which is the lead flight attendant?

Normally the flight attendant who does the 'welcome aboard' announcement is the lead flight attendant (or 'purser' they're sometimes called). Make a note of their name and then look to speak with them specifically.Also, don't ask during meal or drinks service as they come past you, they're very busy at that point and your request is likely to be forgotten!Good luck. :(

Mark Adeane - NZWN

how do you tell which is the lead flight attendant?
If she's good lookin' give her a wink and a smile... That's worked for me before...Big%20Grin.gifCheers!Buddy

The lead FA (Purser) is also usually the one who greets you at the door. What I usually do is wait around the jetway and wait for the crew to show up. I can usually grab either the captain or FO before they head down to the aircraft. Usually, all you have to do is mention that you have an interest in aviation, and would like to see the cockpit. Depending on time, they'll either let you come in when you board, or after the flight. Depending on the time, simply tell the FA that you talked to the crew earlier, and they'll either recognize you or let you in after a quick confirmation. If you can't ask the crew before you board, just ask the FA. The line "Hi, I'm a student pilot and I was wondering if I could see the cockpit" has gotten me farther than even I expected.

Joe Sherrill

Alaska's normally pretty good about that. Just ask as stated above, and I'm sure you'll get a chance to take a look. Show a little NG knowledge, and (if time allows) the crew will more then likely get all excited and start talking your ear off. Good luck!

Ryan Syferd (KSEA)

Thanks"Alaska's normally pretty good about that. Just ask as stated above, and I'm sure you'll get a chance to take a look. Show a little NG knowledge, and (if time allows) the crew will more then likely get all excited and start talking your ear off. Good luck!"

I hope you are lucky.I have never gave permission to my virtual passengers to take a look in the virtual cockpit.. Maybe I should do that.

I hope you are lucky.I have never gave permission to my virtual passengers to take a look in the virtual cockpit.. Maybe I should do that.
Only once on the virtual ground though Martin, otherwise you might get virtually fired. :(

Mark Adeane - NZWN

Yes I have never had a problem getting up to the front on an alaska flight. I always asked before they boarded the plane and I was allowed to bored first to talk to the pilots. NG knowledge is a must and explain to them how you know so much about their plane (if not they get scared). I even had the pilot climb from the seat so I could get a picture.

Only once on the virtual ground though Martin, otherwise you might get virtually fired. :(
Or virtually hi-jacked...Shame%20On%20You.gif

Or virtually hi-jacked...Shame%20On%20You.gif
I've heard that VATSIM bans you for dialing 7700 in your squawk :b

I've heard that VATSIM bans you for dialing 7700 in your squawk :b
I think that would be code 7500 not 7700.

In my country - Australia - entry to the flight deck during flight is prohibited by Federal law. Not even the immediate family (wife, kids, etc) can ride in the jumpseat. You can, however, request to make a visit after landing while parked at the gate as passengers disembark and usually that request will be granted if time permits. I've been told by someone high up that this law MAY be changing but there is no firm timetable as to when it MAY occur. It's a pity, because I'd have loved to have shown my son the flight deck of a commercial airliner when he is older but can't due mainly to the events of 9/11.