Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KL Oo

580 with 3GB or 580 1534MB

Hey guys,I'm in the process of putting together a new box. It will be the usual SB rig with a 2600K and 8GB of RAM. What I'm wondering about is weather its its worth spending an extra $100 and getting a 3GB version or just get the standard 1534MB version?Would FSX make use of this much video RAM?Cheers,Kael

Nah, FSX uses up to 500-600mb.

I had the gtx 580 phantom 3gb, my hope was it would vastly improve performance in overcast situations when using supersampling hybrid aa modes. It did not.

I think the 3GB 580 may prove useful for those wanting to take advantage of the better AA modes on triple-monitor configurations, like 3 x 1920 x 1080. The 1.5GB standard version doesn't have enough VRAM to do AA for such a large display.Now just to get a CPU that can run at 10 GHz to drive all that... ;-)RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

I have two 1.5 gb 580s driving a 5040 x 1050 display and the vram usage at 8xS AA gets up to 1.2 GB in heavy clouds, with high def repaints etc...3 gb might allow me to go to higher AA with 4096 clouds, it all depends on how many pixels you will be pushing and how high you want to crank the IQ settings, and what weather engine you want to run(ex. The REX weather engine loves to paint the sky with clouds).For a single monitor(unless it's a 30 inch Super Hi Def), I would guess that the 1.5 gb is enough.

I have two 1.5 gb 580s driving a 5040 x 1050 display and the vram usage at 8xS AA gets up to 1.2 GB in heavy clouds, with high def repaints etc...3 gb might allow me to go to higher AA with 4096 clouds, it all depends on how many pixels you will be pushing and how high you want to crank the IQ settings, and what weather engine you want to run(ex. The REX weather engine loves to paint the sky with clouds).For a single monitor(unless it's a 30 inch Super Hi Def), I would guess that the 1.5 gb is enough.
Hey PP, can I please ask you a favour? could you test your SLI at 5040x1050 and on a single monitor resolution with Transparency Antialiasing set to 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling AA? Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys,Its going to be running a Triple Head 2 Go setup with 3 22" screens, so perhaps the 3GB version would be handy. Its around $100 dearer so in the big scheme of things its not too bad..

I just noticed that the 3GB phantom has a memory speed of 2000MHZ, where as the 1536MB versions have twice that memory speed at 4000MHZ. I note though that the memory bandwidth on both cards is the same, at around 193GB/s. Should is make a difference? I assume the memory bandwidth is what matters??

Hey PP, can I please ask you a favour? could you test your SLI at 5040x1050 and on a single monitor resolution with Transparency Antialiasing set to 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling AA? Thanks
Sure, what does the test entail?, do I fly a certain scenario and check frame-rates or note the memory usage in MSI afterburner?Tell me what to do precisely and I'll do it and give you the results.

Sure, what does the test entail?, do I fly a certain scenario and check frame-rates or note the memory usage in MSI afterburner?Tell me what to do precisely and I'll do it and give you the results.
Thanks man. It's just to try these settings...inspector.pngSimply select a flight, change weather to major thunderstorm and slew into the clouds. I just want to know if SLI helps here with this demanding 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling Transparency Antialiasing setting in clouds. It looks terrific IMO, but it's very taxiing on a single card.If you could test it with your current 5040x1050 resolution and also with a smaller single monitor res it would be awesome. Just let us know what's you performance like in that scenario compared to your regular AA

By "better" AA modes, I was referring to FSAA, transparency AA etc...I really like the image quality I get using SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12 mode on my 480 and single 26" 1920 x 1200 monitor. I have a 30" 2560 x 1600 SHD monitor arriving today, and wonder if the 480's 1.5 GB of VRAM will be enough to run FSAA modes on the big monitor. I guess I'll know soon, but it's comforting to know that the 3GB 580 is there if it turns out more VRAM is needed.@Airbumps--I bought a 2GB GTX285 a few years ago, and the VRAM on it was a fair bit slower than the 1GB version of the card. I wouldn't recommend buying the 3GB version unless you're using a very large video array...it's probably going to be less performance for more money if you don't have a real need for the additional VRAM.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

@Airbumps--I bought a 2GB GTX285 a few years ago, and the VRAM on it was a fair bit slower than the 1GB version of the card. I wouldn't recommend buying the 3GB version unless you're using a very large video array...it's probably going to be less performance for more money if you don't have a real need for the additional VRAM.Thanks Bob,I'm a little confused why they would sell a card that has double the memory but has the memory running at half the speed? I did see a review on this card (Gainward GTX 580 3GB Phantom) a while back and it indicated the memory was at the regular 4020 MHZ - perhaps my information was wrong and it does run at 4020 not the 2010 I saw. Will have to check the details.Cheers,Kael

I have a 580 and with the most demanding AA modes I think I recall it peaking at 1.4 GB of VRAM usage, but I typically see around 600 to 1.2 MB depending on which add-on aircraft I fly.

airbumps, dont worry about frequencies here, that memory will be running on the regular clocks. it`s common ddr frequency numbers get messed up on some hardware sites. it`s actually a feature that allows ddr memory to communicate multiple times per cycle

@ Dario:Scenario:default yeager airport Charleston, WVAddicitve PittsMajor ThunderstormHigh FSX settings(Max Autogen and complexity)Nick N settings:Widescreen in clouds 23- 24single screen 29 - 40 fpsIncreased AA:4x Sparse Grid SupersamplingWidescreen in clouds 9 - 11single screen 25 - 27 fpsGPU usage went to 100% usual @ 60%VRAM usuage went from 400 mb to 855I found a scenario where I exceeded 1.5 GB Vram: Las Vegas Megascenery + Aerosoft Las Vegas + FSDT KLAS + McPhat HD repaint on the CS 757. I got up to 1.6 - 1.7 GB Vram meaning that the Card was caching textures from System Ram and therefore stuttering like crazy.

Thanks a lot for that. Interesting results. Obviously 4xSGSS + widescreen is too much to chew, but in a single screen doesn't look too bad. Was it jerky or something? and would it be too much to ask to repeat the single screen test with no SLI?

I found a scenario where I exceeded 1.5 GB Vram: Las Vegas Megascenery + Aerosoft Las Vegas + FSDT KLAS + McPhat HD repaint on the CS 757. I got up to 1.6 - 1.7 GB Vram meaning that the Card was caching textures from System Ram and therefore stuttering like crazy.
Also intriguing. What AA / AF settings was that please?

One more data point...on a single SHD (2560x1600) monitor, the highest VRAM usage I saw was in the very GPU-intensive SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12 FSAA mode at a FS Dreamteam airport in the RealAir Duke--it peaked at 1430MB, which is getting pretty close to using the full 1536 MB on the graphics card. With AA at 8xS and transparency AA at 2x Sparse-grid supersampling (still exceptionally good IQ at these settings), VRAM usage on the single big monitor was 800-900MB.So for mainstream (i.e. 1920x1200 resolution or less) single-monitor users, even with aggressive AA/AF settings I doubt the increased VRAM on a 3GB card would ever be in play in FSX.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Also intriguing. What AA / AF settings was that please?
NickN's setting for AA and Anisotropic AF.

What about if your running a TH2Go system, where the resolution is coming out at 5000x1000 (or something like that)? I would think that in that case you would be well over 1534 no? I don't have and have never used TH2Go, but am hoping to get one on the upcoming build so want to be well prepared.Cheers,Kael

Thanks PingPong

What about if your running a TH2Go system, where the resolution is coming out at 5000x1000 (or something like that)? I would think that in that case you would be well over 1534 no? I don't have and have never used TH2Go, but am hoping to get one on the upcoming build so want to be well prepared.Cheers,Kael
I should have specified this, but here:"I found a scenario where I exceeded 1.5 GB Vram: Las Vegas Megascenery + Aerosoft Las Vegas + FSDT KLAS + McPhat HD repaint on the CS 757. I got up to 1.6 - 1.7 GB Vram meaning that the Card was caching textures from System Ram and therefore stuttering like crazy. "This was at 5040 x 1050 resolution, so it's triplehead. The fact it that if you pile on enough addons and high def repaints(these really send up the V-ram), then yeah you could hit the 1.5 GB limit.