Sign in to follow this  
Akila

Not giving me SID or STAR

I flew with the PMDG 747 with AIRAC 1105 both for the PMDG and for the LEVEL-D (for VoxATC) from VTBD BKK W9 TL W9 CMA VTCCand the VoxATC did not assign me any SID for take off even though I had SIDs in my FMC i could pick and not only that he also assigned me a visual approach even though there is an ILS in the airfield , when I asked the VoxATC for an ILS approach he vectored me to final rather giving me a STAR.now there is one thing, the RW at VTCC with the ILS is 36 and he assigned Visual on RW08 which doesn't have ILS, I assume he done that since RW08 was with the head wind, is that normal for VoxATC to give me RW08visual approach rather picking ILS with tail wind?and why I did not get a SID for departure?Another flight I did was LLBG SALAM OJAI.I did not get a SID even though there is one (I take that flight in real life many times with airliners - as a passenger), but the VoxATC did give me a STAR approach using SALAME3 and that was fine , but even after giving me the STAR, why did the VoxATC still vectored me to Final even though there was a STAR?I must say that the vectoring to final was very close to the STAR route but not really on the route, but my main question is why did it vector me to final when I have a STAR?and why I did not get a SID?is there something I am missing?

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

There is no "Edit" button, so I had to reply/add another to this topicWhat I did notice or at least I am thinking that there is something in common not getting SIDs is that all the airports I tried were not the defaultFSX Airports but addons (usually costumed free ones) and yes I did run the VoxATC Index, which leads me to the second Question.I was wondering as part of trying to troubleshoot VoxATC that index Scenery for functionality.about the Scenery.cfg file (which again I "assume" it is using at some point).I had noticed I got two copies of the file(s) but yet they are not Identical in size or Information within the file.one file is located at the FSX Installation Directory and the other is located in the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX" folder.my question splits into two.1) what are the difference between them both and why do I need them both, isn't one enough?2) which one supersedes the other and which of the scenery configuration files are the one that are used for configuring scenery in FSX which is most up to date? and which one the VoxATC application needs/reads during the Indexing process?

Joel Strikovsky

Hi Akila,This is mostly guesswork on my part, so please forgive any errors....

I flew with the PMDG 747 with AIRAC 1105 both for the PMDG and for the LEVEL-D (for VoxATC) from VTBD BKK W9 TL W9 CMA VTCCand the VoxATC did not assign me any SID for take off even though I had SIDs in my FMC i could pick
The first route waypoint you have is BKK - and there are no SIDs from VTDB that end at BKK. So I would guess that is why you weren't given a SID. Next time you're making that run, try VTBD TKL CMA VTCC and see if you're told to fly "FRANK2, TAKHLI transition."
and not only that he also assigned me a visual approach even though there is an ILS in the airfield , when I asked the VoxATC for an ILS approach he vectored me to final rather giving me a STAR.now there is one thing, the RW at VTCC with the ILS is 36 and he assigned Visual on RW08 which doesn't have ILS, I assume he done that since RW08 was with the head wind, is that normal for VoxATC to give me RW08visual approach rather picking ILS with tail wind?
VoxATC's runway selection is different than FSX's. It may not consider the presence of an ILS when it chooses an approach. That's why I use the "0" menu and look to pick a full ILS approach when it makes sense.
Another flight I did was LLBG SALAM OJAI.I did not get a SID even though there is one (I take that flight in real life many times with airliners - as a passenger), but the VoxATC did give me a STAR approach using SALAME3 and that was fine , but even after giving me the STAR, why did the VoxATC still vectored me to Final even though there was a STAR?I must say that the vectoring to final was very close to the STAR route but not really on the route, but my main question is why did it vector me to final when I have a STAR?and why I did not get a SID?is there something I am missing?
Considering LLBG SALAM OJAI -- what runway did you depart from? The way Navigraph's data is constructed, it appears to me that SALAM is a valid SID transition for only Rwy 30 (using SAL2FS or SALA2F). In fact it appears that only runway 30 has valid SIDs for "eastbound" departures. (I could be wrong here but I think that is what I see in the data....)Now, why were you vectored? Good question. I'm assuming that you were shooting for an ILS on 8L? All I know is if you don't ask for the full approach, ATC will vector you, regardless of how you arrive. (Then again, that STAR can take you directly to the FAF... so of this situation I do not know.)
What I did notice or at least I am thinking that there is something in common not getting SIDs is that all the airports I tried were not the defaultFSX Airports but addons (usually costumed free ones) and yes I did run the VoxATC Index, which leads me to the second Question.
I don't think that getting a SID or a STAR has to do with the airport so much as it does the transition fix - the scenery files only play a role when it comes to the approach procedures that are available. (And even then, I wish we could choose to use Navigraph procedures here too.)
I was wondering as part of trying to troubleshoot VoxATC that index Scenery for functionality.about the Scenery.cfg file (which again I "assume" it is using at some point).I had noticed I got two copies of the file(s) but yet they are not Identical in size or Information within the file.one file is located at the FSX Installation Directory and the other is located in the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX" folder.my question splits into two.1) what are the difference between them both and why do I need them both, isn't one enough?2) which one supersedes the other and which of the scenery configuration files are the one that are used for configuring scenery in FSX which is most up to date? and which one the VoxATC application needs/reads during the Indexing process?
As for the multiple scenery.cfg files, I believe the one in your \ProgramData\ folder is the one used by FSX and therefor by VoxATC. Why? What are the other copies for?? Questions for which I do not have answers. :(

thanks for the reply , it makes sense.The only thing I am trying to avoid is if I state the last point of a SID or the 1st point of a STAR at my flight plan,it would in a way fixing my self to a SID/STAR that i can use and I am loosing the Dynamic departure SID or Approach STAR that the controller can give me based on hisdecision or traffic or whatever reason he has.I want to get to a situation that the controller would assign me a SID/STAR to his discretion and not limit him to a specific SID/STAR b/c I filed the last/fist point of a SID/STAR in away forcing him to give me a certain SID/STAR due to my flight plan.how can I overcome this?

Joel Strikovsky

I want to get to a situation that the controller would assign me a SID/STAR to his discretion and not limit him to a specific SID/STAR b/c I filed the last/fist point of a SID/STAR in away forcing him to give me a certain SID/STAR due to my flight plan.how can I overcome this?
I'm not sure the current VoxATC would do this. :( IIRC, something I've read calls for at least a transition fix to be included.But if you want to try, then the best way to do so is to get the SID and the STAR charts for your origin and destination. Note all of the possible transition fixes. Build your flight plan so that none of the transition fixes are used. Simpler still, go direct from AAAA to BBBB.Either way, submit your loaded plan to VoxATC and see what happens. Give it a few different tries and possibly use airports with plenty of procedures so there's lots of choices.Regards,

Hi. After putting the AIRIC in the level-d folder did you re-run the VoxATC indexer?Chris

Hi. After putting the AIRIC in the level-d folder did you re-run the VoxATC indexer?Chris
ohh yeah.Indexer then UT2Bridge, both been run.

Joel Strikovsky

thanks for the reply , it makes sense.The only thing I am trying to avoid is if I state the last point of a SID or the 1st point of a STAR at my flight plan,it would in a way fixing my self to a SID/STAR that i can use and I am loosing the Dynamic departure SID or Approach STAR that the controller can give me based on hisdecision or traffic or whatever reason he has.I want to get to a situation that the controller would assign me a SID/STAR to his discretion and not limit him to a specific SID/STAR b/c I filed the last/fist point of a SID/STAR in away forcing him to give me a certain SID/STAR due to my flight plan.how can I overcome this?
when flying in Europe, I'm using this planer http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ as it automatically creates a plan with the first waypoint as an end of a SID and the last waypoint as a start of the STAR. So you don't have to try to predict anything. It works pretty well. Just read their help on how they build their plans for better understanding how it works.For US, I use realword plans from http://flightaware.com. These plans are already have the first and last point as end of SID and start of STAR. Also works very well. Enjoy!

when flying in Europe, I'm using this planer http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ as it automatically creates a plan with the first waypoint as an end of a SID and the last waypoint as a start of the STAR. So you don't have to try to predict anything. It works pretty well. Just read their help on how they build their plans for better understanding how it works.For US, I use realword plans from http://flightaware.com. These plans are already have the first and last point as end of SID and start of STAR. Also works very well. Enjoy!
that is good to know, shame since I am using the vroute.info (premium) for routes.maybe many of the routes don't include the 1st/last SID/STAR, I just usually pick the higher rank out of all (as I don't know what matches the reality, so I pick the higher, ranked).

Joel Strikovsky

VoxATC will not give us a STAR when the final waypoint of the flightplan (the beginning of the STAR) is within a certain radius from the destination airport (~ 40-50nm). This way we are passed to the approach controller before reaching this point and the approach controller always vectors us (by default- unless we select another option). He is not able of assigning us a STAR. Only the previous enroute controller may do this.

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

VoxATC will not give us a STAR when the final waypoint of the flightplan (the beginning of the STAR) is within a certain radius from the destination airport (~ 40-50nm). This way we are passed to the approach controller before reaching this point and the approach controller always vectors us (by default- unless we select another option). He is not able of assigning us a STAR. Only the previous enroute controller may do this.
it's a good point.how about if it is a FIX within a STAR (not the beginning of the STAR) which is in the Flight plan and less then 40nm from the arrival destination/ICAO airport, would that work?A side question not directly related to VoxATC but for the flight plan that I generate for the VoxATC.do you guys know how close to reality/real life flight route are provided in "http://www.vataware.com"

Joel Strikovsky