I know that blurries can have many causes, amongst them each single bottleneck you can think of *g*, but nevertheless my question:My system:Q9550 oced to 3,41GHz8GB 1066 DDR2 RAM285GTX 2 GBrunning 1920x1080standard 5400rpm hard drivesWin 7 Ultimate 64bitsystem is pretty well tuned, running a load of addons and secondary programs. I am happy with FPS and fluidity of the scenery, but I encounter a lot of blurries when using photoscenery - as well as terrain popping with detailed meshes. Blurries aren't severe, but I'd say they are app. 2 or 3 levels above a crisp picture.My question is: would SSDs for FSX (thinking of two OCZ Vortex 2 120GB for system and secondary FSX disk, a OCZ Vortex 2 240GB as primary FSX disk) eliminate blurries for THIS system? I am not concerned about FPS, just about blurries.And yes, I know that this might probably be overkill for the system, but I intend to buy a top-notch PC in autumn and would transfer the SSD to the new machine then. All I am interested in is whether I could expect some benefit from the SSDs now or not - if not, I would wait until I buy the new PC hoping that they will be cheaper then.Your input is highly appreciated.Best,Bernhard

The short answer is no. In your case, it's not a hardware problem. You need to tweak software.

The short answer is no. In your case, it's not a hardware problem. You need to tweak software.
Could you elaborate? I think my system is perfectly tuned regarding software (fsx.cfg, limiter settings etc.).

I think the SSDs might help over 5400RPM drives, but probably not any more than a good 7200 RPM drive with 64MB+ of cache, like some of the WD Caviar Black drives. A 10,000 RPM WD Velociraptor might be even better still. Photoscenery needs good disk system throughput to move large files fast...and because most photoscenery is so big, it's also fairly cost-prohibitive to put it on SSDs. The forte of the SSD is very fast random file reads...that's not going to be a big help with photoscenery.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest PFL

I had an OCZ Vertex 2 120 Gb SSD for about a week, then it died!Should have Google OCZ before I bought it, too many RMA´s and firmware problems.But it helped with faster loading of FSX, and no blurries, FPS the same...Lots of opinions about SSD´s and FSX:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/300997-ssd-upgrade-results/

I am very hard thinking about getting a WD VR 600GB (WD6000HLHX).

I have a RevoDrive for FSX and can't look back now. Never had one issue and its crazy fast on loads.

I'm thinking your blurries are processor related. :Sigh: So another "No" or "definitely not" here to the original question. My blurry issues went away with this i7 rig. I had tried an SSD before on my Core 2 system, no joy. I've gone back to the Cav. Black in my signature and sold the SSD to a friend. It really wasn't worth it just to decrease load times... Not until prices are much, much less. :wink:

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I'm thinking your blurries are processor related. :Sigh: So another "No" or "definitely not" here to the original question. My blurry issues went away with this i7 rig. I had tried an SSD before on my Core 2 system, no joy. I've gone back to the Cav. Black in my signature and sold the SSD to a friend. It really wasn't worth it just to decrease load times... Not until prices are much, much less. :wink:
.. and I've had the same old 80 gig ST380817AS 8.5ms, 7200 clunker drive for probably four years. This is where I keep FSX: The C-drive is a 200 gig Maxtor 6L200M0, 9ms, 7200 and "Stuff" is on a 500 gig WD5000AAKS-00V1AO. All are non-descript, cheap, with nothing special about them. On my existing (and previous 3.2 gig system) blurries are caused by having having a FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION setting which is too low. Default is 0.33. With this proc running at 4.8 gig and a 580 I can set this to 0.15 without blurries. I agree with Zach: Bernhard may say that "I am happy with FPS and fluidity of the scenery", I know from my own experience that - at 3.41 gig - he has only two choices: - one is stuttering, but moderately crisp textures, or smoothness with blurries. The only answer here is a faster proc & gpu. The only difference the SSD's will make is faster boot, faster FSX startup, but once flying there will be diddly-squat as a performance gain.Buy them with the new system: they will be cheaper at that time.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I think we need to keep in mind that blurries with photoscenery are a different problem than those with standard scenery. Disk system performance isn't generally critical for operation of FSX, with the notable exception of photoscenery, where disk throughput can make a difference. A good SSD or a good HDD with a large hardware cache can make a difference if running FSX with large expanses of photoscenery. But as I noted previously, SSD storage is very (probably excessively) expensive for use with photoscenery due to the large volumes of data.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Well, I took the plunge and got me 2x256GB of SSD. Just reinstalling my computer, will report my results as soon as I can :-)

Well, I took the plunge and got me 2x256GB of SSD. Just reinstalling my computer, will report my results as soon as I can :-)
Lol. Well I think you had made your decision before your OP, then. Good luck! Report back if it was worth the price. I'm always curious of others opinions.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

If anyone else is sitting on the SSD fence and has a Micro Center nearby, take a gander at this: Corsair X256 - $255. Yes, that's a 256GB SSD for just less than $1/GB, and it's a performance-oriented drive at that. Not the newest drive on the block and it is a refurb, but that is an absolutely unbeatable deal. Apparently these Corsair X drives had some firmware issues which have been resolved, so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet to go for a refurb for once.

Ok, here's my initial report:Blurries and terrain popups are greatly reduced. While there is no increase in FPS, the smoothness is vastly improved. Something I didn't expect: from time to time I had crackling sound (especially flying over Austria Professional X), those sound crackles are completely eliminated.Loading times are fantastic now, no more 5 minutes waiting from starting FSX to flying.Was this worth € 900? Of course not :-). But who cares *g*

What did you move the SSD's and how?