Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MindYerBeak

cleaning the graphics card

How do you get rid of the dust on the gpu ? I have just noticed lots of dust on the fan and stuff but can't clean it right. I got rid of some with cotton swabs but there is so much you can do .I thought of compressed air but wouldn't want to screw things up.ThanksVic

How do you get rid of the dust on the gpu ? I have just noticed lots of dust on the fan and stuff but can't clean it right. I got rid of some with cotton swabs but there is so much you can do .I thought of compressed air but wouldn't want to screw things up.ThanksVic
I often use a long-haired soft paintbrush and vacuum-cleaner to get at the dust. Just keep the vacuum-cleaner some distance away from the circuitry, because there can be some static electric build up in the hose.

Dust will more than likely be found in the heat sink as well, so you should concider compressed air. I think it's a very carefull way to clean electronics. I fit a narrow tip onto my compressor, so it'll reach in, and I have the vac.cleaner running nearby to remove the dust from the room completely. Bjorn

I use compressed air...recommend no more than 40 PSI, and keep the nozzle a minimum of 3-4 inches away from the board. If it's very dry (less than 20% relative humidity) be careful to use short bursts, as a prolonged blast of very dry air can induce static charges.

I managed to clean the fan just fine.now the sim seems smoother especially on final approach to airports like eham (it was stutterville before the cleaning ). I still get stutters when overflying the amsterdam area but not as bad.Thanks for the tips folks.Vic