Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RickSinGA

Spreading Thermal Grease

Anyone had any experience with Antec's Formula 7 Nano Diamond thermal compound. The Microcenter Tech claimed it was the newest and best for heat transfer on the market.The old Sliver stuff would let you spread it out real thin and smooth. This stuff is more like heavy thick glue and just clumps when I try to spread it.Is there a trick to this new stuff or do you just place a glob on the middle of the chip and mount the cooler? Never done it that way before.ThanksRick S.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,I would not use a "glob", but a small amount the size of a piece of white rice in the middle and the pressure of the clamping will do the rest.

Hi,I would not use a "glob", but a small amount the size of a piece of white rice in the middle and the pressure of the clamping will do the rest.
Thanks Jim, I will try that. I had tried spreading some around but it just wouldn't spread and as soon as I started up the temp's rocketed up.Ricks

When I built mine, I used the whole tube, and spread it evenly over the whole chip, I'm sure I did it wrong, but I'm not too worried about it.

When I built mine, I used the whole tube, and spread it evenly over the whole chip, I'm sure I did it wrong, but I'm not too worried about it.
Whoa, one chip, whole tube? That sounds quite a lot of mess around the chip!

HelloYes you did it wrong.

HelloYes you did it wrong.
Oh, but my temps are so icy coooooooooooool.

:Thinking: Keep an eye on the temps regularly. A too thick layer of thermal grease might not last as long as thin and properly spread layer.

Oh, but my temps are so icy coooooooooooool.
HelloNot as cool as they would have been if you had used the correct amount.And be thankful that you did not use a conductive paste as you could be looking at a new CPU and MB.

HelloNot as cool as they would have been if you had used the correct amount.And be thankful that you did not use a conductive paste as you could be looking at a new CPU and MB.
How cool should my CPU be? Right now, at idle as I write this cores 1-4 are all 28 and below.

How cool should my CPU be? Right now, at idle as I write this cores 1-4 are all 28 and below.
HelloTrust me on this, you were lucky this time that the paste was not conductive.If you use your method you will one day manage to get some of the excess paste to run into your CPU socket.Then you really will have a cool PC as it will most likely not post at all.If you understand the principle behind thermal paste I just cannot see why you think that a whole tube is the way to go.But each to their own.

HelloTrust me on this, you were lucky this time that the paste was not conductive.If you use your method you will one day manage to get some of the excess paste to run into your CPU socket.Then you really will have a cool PC as it will most likely not post at all.If you understand the principle behind thermal paste I just cannot see why you think that a whole tube is the way to go.But each to their own.
Umm, I was just asking what my temps should be? Just an honest question, no need to get defensive.

Umm, I was just asking what my temps should be? Just an honest question, no need to get defensive.
HelloYour Idle temps are good but that is not really important and is also influenced by the ambient temps in your room.What is more relevant is the temps under load, and here a really thin layer of paste is the better option.That is why all of the paste manufacturers and just about anyone who does this regularly will advise that less is more when it comes to applying TIM.The paste should really only be applied to take up the microscopic surface imperfections in the interface between the CPU heat spreader and the base of the Cooler.A thick layer once it cures is potentially worse in transferring heat from the CPU to cooler.Still it could be that you are right and everyone else has this wrong, the paste manufacturers will be pleased that's for sure.

HelloYour Idle temps are good but that is not really important and is also influenced by the ambient temps in your room.What is more relevant is the temps under load, and here a really thin layer of paste is the better option.That is why all of the paste manufacturers and just about anyone who does this regularly will advise that less is more when it comes to applying TIM.The paste should really only be applied to take up the microscopic surface imperfections in the interface between the CPU heat spreader and the base of the Cooler.A thick layer once it cures is potentially worse in transferring heat from the CPU to cooler.Still it could be that you are right and everyone else has this wrong, the paste manufacturers will be pleased that's for sure.
I'm pretty sure everyone else is wrong. But in all seriousness, what should I do at this point? Should I take my cooler off and try to get some paste off, and if so, what should I use to that, just a simple paper towel or what? Also, when I spread the thermal paste on initially I made a thin layer and wiped the excess of with my fingers, so it's not real thick. And BTW, it wasn't easy getting that stuff off my fingers.

I'm pretty sure everyone else is wrong. But in all seriousness, what should I do at this point? Should I take my cooler off and try to get some paste off, and if so, what should I use to that, just a simple paper towel or what? Also, when I spread the thermal paste on initially I made a thin layer and wiped the excess of with my fingers, so it's not real thick. And BTW, it wasn't easy getting that stuff off my fingers.
HelloIf your temps are good then just leave it as it is,its fine Most of the excess will have squeezed out when the CPU first came up to temperature after being applied.This is where problems can start though, with high silver content pastes which can be capacitive running into the CPU socket.

Run FS for an hour and then report your CPU temp.
I often switch out of FS during a flight just to check the temps, and everytime I do, my temps are around 55-65, but I will take a closer look at them after running it for an hour.Also, I'm going to open my case and take a careful look at the bottom of the cooler to make sure no thermal paste has leaked out around the sides of the socket.Thanks all.

Its non-conductive.
HelloJim with all due respect, how do you know what paste AWACs is using?Silicone based , Silver based, Gallium based?Silver based thermal pastes are slightly conductive and capacitive and as such are not what you want bridging the pins on your CPU.Gallium thermal compounds are by their very nature electrically conductive and not a great thing to have spilling over into your socket.

Jeff, your temps seem fine, but I would remove the cooler and clean that mess up regardless. No need to spread the paste. Just put on a little dot about the size of a grain of rice and then mount the cooler. Spreading the paste tends to cause air pockets that only serve to hinder heat transfer.

55-65c temps are quite high for your overclock. I think you should be looking at 55c max with 4.5, as you are probably doing somewhere around 1.35V, like everyone else.To compare: I am running (watercooling though but nevertheless) 5.0 with 1.52V and I get 65c when FSXing. I get up to 78c when doing Linx or Prime95, but that's not same as FSX, it loads way less.With a time, paste hardens and is going to cause an opposite effect.I would clean the mess around the CPU (best use the tip of the plastic card - CC for example), strafe with the card over the cooler (not the CPU), judge yourself if there is still too much on the cooler - it should be just so much that when you put the cooler on, you can softly move it around, but not swim. The paste must NOT be pushed on the sides when you mount the cooler - then it's too much. I usually swipe with the card above the CPU, producing a very thin even layer. Basically so much paste that you just can't see the surface of CPU, but JUST SO MUCH.In some video they have shown how a thin layer produces little air bubbles... yeah, I know... and some say a rice point is better.To each his own, I am sure both work fine.I usually put a thin layer, slide the cooler couple of times left-right, up-down, circular motion, all about 2-3mm movements, I am sure I get all the bubbles out.I wouldn't get good temps with such high OC though. Idle 33 btw.