Sign in to follow this  
Soulflight

*sigh* Black screen issue -.-

The older of you may remember my very persistant CTD Problem, which is solved now.The other one still remains: I havent flown in densely populated areas for a while, and now I noticed its still there. This happens when I exit an FS menu (looking up something on the chart for example) and want to get back to the sim, the screen goes black! The sim runs, I can hear sounds and change my mouse cursor to pan-view-control, but I dont see a damn thing anymore. ALT+ENTER just makes the window around the black screen disappear but nothing changes. Only way out: Alt+Tab and exiting FS; which is really annoying when it happens after a long flight while trying to look up an ILS freq in map view with FS Passengers.Things I have done so far, mostly because of trying to solve the earlier CTD problem:-HIGHMEMFIX and uiautomationcore fix applied-changed various poolsize and bufferpool entries-changed the video card from a GTS250 1 GB to a HD5770 1GB I had available, I uninstalled the nvidia drivers with driver sweeper before, obviously its not video card or driver related.-refreshed shaders by changing version in FSX.CFGas well as a few others i dont remember now.system specs: Phenom II X4 965 @ 3,9 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD5770 1GB, WIn7 64bit, FSX Acceleration.any ideas? except for not entering menus in flight anymore.....

I bet if you ran with a standard fsx.cfg you wouldn't ahve the problem.So it probably relates to your cgf tweaks (or the shader mod).It could be generally settings to high. e.g. overly high cloud settings will run fine until the day you have 8/8ths cumulus. Overly high scenery settings will run fine until the day you fly to a busy populated area, 100% AI traffic is fine until you fly at a very busy airport, etc.You might also try running with a slightly lower overclock too. Maybe it's that.Here is a tweak that might solve any problems relating to bufferpools, which I know has worked for a few whose problmes are related to this.[bUFFERPOOLS]RejectThreshold=524288 //512Kb = 524288, 256Kb = 262144, 124Kb = 126976, 96Kb = 98304Of course in many cases the CTD is a combination of any number of these things.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I bet if you ran with a standard fsx.cfg you wouldn't ahve the problem.So it probably relates to your cgf tweaks (or the shader mod).It could be generally settings to high. e.g. overly high cloud settings will run fine until the day you have 8/8ths cumulus. Overly high scenery settings will run fine until the day you fly to a busy populated area, 100% AI traffic is fine until you fly at a very busy airport, etc.You might also try running with a slightly lower overclock too. Maybe it's that.Here is a tweak that might solve any problems relating to bufferpools, which I know has worked for a few whose problmes are related to this.[bUFFERPOOLS]RejectThreshold=524288 //512Kb = 524288, 256Kb = 262144, 124Kb = 126976, 96Kb = 98304Of course in many cases the CTD is a combination of any number of these things.IAN
Hmm, I have to say I do not really have performance problems, clouds are set to 70 miles distance with 3 layers maximum in Active Sky, World of AI traffic is set to 70 %. Autogen is set to 1500 Trees and 3000 Buildings maximum and my minimum FPS are around 10, but 15-30 most of the time. I have some Addons like UTX and GEX, they are all updated to the most recent version. my overclock is stable and I can easily run prime95 for 12 hours.So do I really have to reduce graphics details after spending so much time and effort to get a decent machine running? :(

For what its worth, running Prime95 for 12 hours is no guarantee that your overclock will be stable running FSX.

The RejectThreshold=126976 tip IAN mentioned has solved my black screen issues.

The RejectThreshold=126976 tip IAN mentioned has solved my black screen issues.
Out of curiosity, what did you have for your BP before? Jim

Jim Wenham

Does this happen with all planes or just one specific one? I ask because I had the exact same problem and the only fix for it was removing the plane.

Jay

Alright im currently test running with clock reduced to 3,8 Ghz.I had BufferPool=0 before, which really gave me good FPS but now im running the RejectThreshold Value for testing, it does not change anything I noticed.It happens with all planes.

The older of you may remember my very persistant CTD Problem, which is solved now.The other one still remains: I havent flown in densely populated areas for a while, and now I noticed its still there. This happens when I exit an FS menu (looking up something on the chart for example) and want to get back to the sim, the screen goes black! The sim runs, I can hear sounds and change my mouse cursor to pan-view-control, but I dont see a damn thing anymore. ALT+ENTER just makes the window around the black screen disappear but nothing changes. Only way out: Alt+Tab and exiting FS; which is really annoying when it happens after a long flight while trying to look up an ILS freq in map view with FS Passengers.Things I have done so far, mostly because of trying to solve the earlier CTD problem:-HIGHMEMFIX and uiautomationcore fix applied-changed various poolsize and bufferpool entries-changed the video card from a GTS250 1 GB to a HD5770 1GB I had available, I uninstalled the nvidia drivers with driver sweeper before, obviously its not video card or driver related.-refreshed shaders by changing version in FSX.CFGas well as a few others i dont remember now.system specs: Phenom II X4 965 @ 3,9 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD5770 1GB, WIn7 64bit, FSX Acceleration.any ideas? except for not entering menus in flight anymore.....
My guess is you have it only with a very few particular aircrafts or with all?Cheers,

André

what i didnot see is what i do if i have a black screen that iscontrol /alt/deletein this screen i click on annuleren or cancel and than the picture comes backsometimes i have to do it twice.try it and let us know

Out of curiosity, what did you have for your BP before? Jim
At the time I had experienced my first black screen I had no [bufferPools] section at all. (no UsePools, no PoolSize, and no RejectThreshold) RejectThreshold was my only [bufferPools] entry that stopped the black screens. I have played around with UsePools and PoolSize both before and after my black screen issue, but I never had them cause or prevent black screens for me. (which doesn't mean it is not possible) I was only playing around with them for tuning purposes. BTW, I never had a black screen until I installed the MilViz T38. Beautiful aicraft - but massive use of 4096 textures (~ 200 mb of textures/livery). Previous to that the RealAir Duke (~ 100mb of textures/livery) was probably the highest fidelity aircraft I had currently installed with no black screens.

OK, I can carefully say that maybe my OC was too high, I lowered it to 3,8 Ghz and after an 8 hour flight with the CS767-200 with landing in LA as well as a few test runs in densely populated areas, the problem never occured so far. I guess it was the "load line calibration" setting....for ppl who know what im talking about: my M4A785-M Board has the problem that on high overclocks which are harmless in terms of CPU temp, the capaciators next to the CPU start overheating which causes a brief CPU performance drop visible in CoreTemp. Playing around with the LoadLine-Setting helps to get the voltage it needs to the CPU, but also causes these drops more often. The LoadLineCalibration manages the transitions between idle mode and load to prevent voltage spikes. TO get the 3,9 Ghz stable, I had to lower the LLC setting from standard 51 % to 32%, which was stable anywhere except FSX obiously.Now what happens when you close an FSX dialog in densely populated areas? Right: the CPU usage shoots from idle to orbit. Thats where the blackscreens and crashes happen.Since I stabilized my OC at 3,8 Ghz with therefore reduced voltage and LLC on standard setting, FSX seems to run stable even after long range flights. (I frequently take off at night, switch FMC on and go to sleep to land at morning. ;) )The performance drop of using 100 Mhz less is not really noticeable, and since it is summer, maybe its more healthy that way too. ;) For the same reason you enter the ambient temp on the FMC for your takeoff thrust.

-.- forget it, I still got black screens......
I'am having the same issue after I started flying over ORBX scenery, specially if using a complex payware aircraft.In my particular case I discovered that the problem was caused by the ENBSeries plugin. I guess the ENB and 7cm textures, 2m mesh, max LOD etc together with other ultra-high graphic settings, antialiasing and a resolution of 2560x1440 was too much for my 6970 to handle.If you have ENBSeries plugin installed try disabling it with Shift+F12 and see what happens.