Sign in to follow this  
FSXman1000

F-16 Overshoots Runway at Oshkosh EAA Airventure...

alright, no comments then. please lock the topic! next! LOL LOL.gif

I'm going to comment anyway. I hope something broke and lead to this, because that's very embarrassing.blush.png Poor fella'. I'm certain there was a malfunction.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I think a small prop plane also ran off the runway that same day too. There was a picture on Airliners.net showing both in the same frame. -Raven Harris

I really don't think there was a malfunction. Bystanders say the front gear came down on the numbers. I think the pilot was lost or something. There's no way you're going to stop a F-16 in a thousand feet! (well unless you go off the runway Whistle.gif ) A FJ-4 Fury went off the end of the runway the same day. It was a result of a brake failure though. The F-16 was still sitting out at the end of RWY 36 yesterday.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Bystanders say the front gear came down on the numbers. I think the pilot was lost or something. There's no way you're going to stop a F-16 in a thousand feet!
Wouldn't that tell you he may have had brake issues? The aerodynamic braking may have been all he had... Of course elevator authority is shot at the lower speeds which would explain him trying to hold it off as long as possible. Then again as you say, it could mean he held the nose up too long.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

If you compare the landing of the First F16 to the one that crashed, his landing was significantly faster.I can only assume that it was a braking failure as the velocity appeared constant.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Wouldn't that tell you he may have had brake issues? The aerodynamic braking may have been all he had... Of course elevator authority is shot at the lower speeds which would explain him trying to hold it off as long as possible. Then again as you say, it could mean he held the nose up too long.
Then why didnt he go around and go to an airport with a sufficiently long runway to stop with only aero brakes?

Then why didnt he go around and go to an airport with a sufficiently long runway to stop with only aero brakes?
Why don't you ask him? lol. Would you like me to post all the reasons I can come up with or the first 100?tongue.png I'll start with this one: If he hadn't applied brakes (like most do) and relied on aerodynamic braking down most of the runway, how would he have enough runway to execute a "rejected rollout" (it was past the point of "go around")?? Like I mentioned, it's just a theory, no better or worse than the "he screwed up" theory.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

With the upfront caveat that I know zero about military aircraft, is it normal for them to roll-out for so long with the nose wheel up?

With the upfront caveat that I know zero about military aircraft, is it normal for them to roll-out for so long with the nose wheel up?
Yeah. That's what we mean by aerodynamic braking. Saves brakes.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I second brake failure, but by the sound of it, it sounded like he throttled down late as well. I use to watch these birds land all day and he came in a bit fast (by "a bit" I mean, what's metric for a S@#$ load?).As for his aerodynamic braking, even that looks pretty weak. Almost as if he was thinking about aborting. His nose practically got slammed to the ground and if he was intending to land his aerodynamic braking should have been a lot longer. I think it has to be brake failure just since it looks obvious to me that he knew he was in trouble and probably originally wanted to abort but had to commit to one or the other. Had he had more time to think about it (and if it was brake failure) then I imagine he would have aborted, but at the time you see him make his decision, an abort was too late so think he made the better choice. Just my opinion.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier