Sign in to follow this  
Ibanezmatt13

NGX Approach Issues !

Hi Guys, I recently purchased the PMDG 737NGX and I have completed a few flights in it. However, on every flight, I've not been able to land the plane like I should be able to. I've been following LNAV and VNAV throughout the entire flight. My SID and STAR was entered correctly and everything appeared to be running smoothly. I was still on VNAV and LNAV when I was moments away from turning onto final. I had NAV 1 and NAV 2 armed. I engaged VOR LOC just before I turned onto final. The plane began to turn and then successfully lined up with the runway. After it had lined up I engaged APP expecting it to capture the G/S; somehow, I missed the G/S and had to descend manually. Now, I think the reason it is doing this is because I was going to fast. At the point of capturing the G/S I am normally traveling at a steady pace of 150KIAS; this time it was 220KIAS. I had speed brakes fully extended yet it made little difference. So I think the VNAV speeds are too fast and I can't slow down in time for my landing. I've been told that I should allow VNAV to bring the plane down during the initial decent but then descend at my own choice of vertical speed and my own speed input. If this is correct, how shall I slow down during my STAR. I know it's a strange issue but I'm only 14 so I don't have the broadest of knowledge for this complex aircraft. I need recommendations quite urgently if possible. Thank you.

Did you tune the ILS into both radios? Speed shouldn't really be a problem, certainly not 220kts, that is grand for an ILS intercept.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Hi Guys, I recently purchased the PMDG 737NGX and I have completed a few flights in it. However, on every flight, I've not been able to land the plane like I should be able to. I've been following LNAV and VNAV throughout the entire flight. My SID and STAR was entered correctly and everything appeared to be running smoothly. I was still on VNAV and LNAV when I was moments away from turning onto final. I had NAV 1 and NAV 2 armed. I engaged VOR LOC just before I turned onto final. The plane began to turn and then successfully lined up with the runway. After it had lined up I engaged APP expecting it to capture the G/S; somehow, I missed the G/S and had to descend manually. Now, I think the reason it is doing this is because I was going to fast. At the point of capturing the G/S I am normally traveling at a steady pace of 150KIAS; this time it was 220KIAS. I had speed brakes fully extended yet it made little difference. So I think the VNAV speeds are too fast and I can't slow down in time for my landing. I've been told that I should allow VNAV to bring the plane down during the initial decent but then descend at my own choice of vertical speed and my own speed input. If this is correct, how shall I slow down during my STAR. I know it's a strange issue but I'm only 14 so I don't have the broadest of knowledge for this complex aircraft. I need recommendations quite urgently if possible. Thank you.
Try to intercept the glideslope and the proper altitude and point that is given on the FMC. If you're going too fast, just manually set your speed. You also want flaps 15 and gears down when you intercept.

Make sure you tune both NAV radios to the ILS frequency before you hit the LOC button. Also set both CRS to match the runway course. When fully established on APP, you can hit Autopilot B to do full autoland.I usually edit the speed on the FMC so I can intercept at 180KIAS. Sometimes, when I feel like it, I use vertical speed/ LVL change.

Make sure that you have both your ILS frequency and your front course set on both NAV radios and course selectors. Make sure that you go into the APPROACH page and put in you flap/speed setting, so that the FMC will know your Vref speed.Make sure that you are at the proper altitude to capture the GS, or better, slightly lower so that you can capture the glide slope from under.Of course, watch what the airplane is doing so that you are always ready to take over.