Sign in to follow this  
Hawk777th

Autoland Question?

I have done about 15 autolands in this plane now and something is odd. I kept thinking that the plane was bouncing the landing then I looked outside and saw that it was landing it on the nose gear first? I know in this screenshot, I am not landing into the wind (its the way ATC cleared me) but I just did one at TNCM with a 12kt headwind and it did it? Am I missing something.autoland1.jpgautoland2.jpg

Autoland at TNCM? There is no ILS at TNCM.. I have no problems whatsoever with autoland so far (my joystick is coming friday, yay)..

I might think you are coming in too fast for your flap settings as well.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

1500 a side? Yikes. And yes, Vref+5 for autoland, like the others said.

Matt Cee

TNCM has a VOR/DME approach....whilst autoland requires the ILS tuned twice, with both AP engaged......perhaps a factor?

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Let me try the Vref +5 think I have been screwing that up. Sure if it has to go nose down to lose alt if its too fast so it can flare enough will give it a try!

If this keeps happening at TNCM, I would suggest turning off the autopilot and flaring right after you capture the glideslope.Try auto-landing at bigger airports like KLAX. I've auto-landed in KLAX with the NGX countless times after it was released and I am always flaring and landing back wheels first, then nose wheel.

Do you need to put any ILS freq for LAX or any other airpot to autoland, if yes can someone point out how it's done in a quick answer. I can't get my NGX to autoland or get my CMD A & B active at the same time ? Thanks. Evan Banalian.

Yep that fixed it. Helps when you're not going in 20kts too fast.

Do you need to put any ILS freq for LAX or any other airpot to autoland, if yes can someone point out how it's done in a quick answer. I can't get my NGX to autoland or get my CMD A & B active at the same time ? Thanks. Evan Banalian.
Yes both nav radio's need to be set to the ILS freq. You have to capture the LOC before you hit the APP button.

You have to capture the LOC before you hit the APP button.
Nope, you can arm APP on the intercept heading if you want. Just make sure you've got both A/P on by 800'

Matt Cee

I have done about 15 autolands in this plane now and something is odd. I kept thinking that the plane was bouncing the landing then I looked outside and saw that it was landing it on the nose gear first? I know in this screenshot, I am not landing into the wind (its the way ATC cleared me) but I just did one at TNCM with a 12kt headwind and it did it? Am I missing something.
No flare? This is dangerous. Bear in mind to set your final speed at Vref + 5 only! This is a safety margin for a plane to land in the lowest possible speed without stalling. For the autoland issue, please read my post below. Might be able to help. Thanks! http://forum.avsim.net/topic/343627-how-to-perform-an-autoland/