Sign in to follow this  
Jack_C

Do you Really Need Speedbrakes VIDEO?

Not sure if this is an actual SOP, rather a GOP (Good operating practice)with the introduction of RVSM airspaces the space between 2 airplanes flying a similar routing was halved. In such a situation often when climbing at high rate of climb, the TCAS thinks you are going to hit each other because TCAS doesn't take into account the FCU/MCP selected level off altitude... so what we usually do, is keep an eye on the altitude ... 1000' to go is a standard crosscheck which tempts us to check if there might be a need to reduce the vertical speed to lesser values such as 1000fpm. Otherwise, if no traffic there is no real reason to do so as the ALT CAP mode will take care of that anyhow.
Was primarily an issue with TCAS Version below, 7 I think, and in areas where RVSM was being rolled out.Hear that Airbus put out some new gizmo to take care of closures such as this in the 380 and next-gen Birds Rolling%20Eyes.gif Jay Cargo

Hi Guys! I'm glad I've found this video! It's very-very neat and useful. You always learn something new.Just one question at hand: how did u manage to lower the airspeed to loose momentum whilst still LNAV+VNAV engaged on the MCP???? was it just magic? :)

Hello,A silly question....english is not my mother langage....and surely the NGX still is mysterious for me even if I already fly with that bird virtualy since 10 years approx....but:- how did you manage the speed without leaving VNAV mode ?Thanks....and sorry if this question is truely basic...Cedric

Hi Jack .... Great video. Very helpful. Just had a quick question. When you would use alt intervention?Many thanks again for passing along your insights.

Anytime you are in vnav and have to temporarily level off by placing an intermediate altitude in the mcp, you would use ALT INTV to continue the climb or descent. For example, atc clears you to fl350. The a minute later reclears you to 15000 for traffic. So if you are climbing in vnav and reach 15000, the fma will indicate VNAV ALT. A minute later you get recleared to fl350 then you just redial 35000 in the mcp and the press ALT INTV. This will begin your climb again in VNAV SPD. The same procedure could be used for descent BUT if ATC levels you off for too long then you may need to use the procedure i described in one of the videos and that is to reset the mcp altitude, press SPD INTV and drive the nose down to regain the path.

Great. Thanks for the response. I'll play with it a bit. The video is a great tool for playing with energy during the descent. I've been using vertical speed up to now so this is a neat trick for getting back on profile.