Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

artair

Flight Levels and Hight in meters

Hi JD and test team, I just want to request (offer) specific feature for RC V5. There is metric Flight Levels (hight) and QFE for some countries. Is it possible to add different FL measurement? Some countries (Chine, Ukraine, Russia, Belarus...) have FL's in meters, uses hight with QFE. It would be very very realistic for flights over these countries.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi JD and test team, I just want to request (offer) specific feature for RC V5. There is metric Flight Levels (hight) and QFE for some countries. Is it possible to add different FL measurement? Some countries (Chine, Ukraine, Russia, Belarus...) have FL's in meters, uses hight with QFE. It would be very very realistic for flights over these countries.
Just one thing to remember about adding features like this is that not all aircraft in FS are equiped to fly in these special areas. In real life of course there are minimum equipment, navigational, and redundant requirements that need to be adhered to as per the airspace you wish to fly in. But in FS, adding new gauges your favourite airplane (or default airplanes) isn't always possible which then restricts some users flying in some of these exoctic places. There are convertion charts too, but its still restrictive to some users. HF comms is also another example where oceanic procedures would be great to add into new a version of RC sometime, but FS unfortunatly doesn't contain radios in the HF band. So I just wanted to add that the more 'real' we go, we may actually be pushing some users away by preventing them using FS and RC they way they wish to. Subs

You can always make it optional.. a "realism settings" box with options to choose from... "Realistic altitude units" could be one.. problem solved.

Thank you for your answers!So, I know JD, you have many important things in the list and I really hope that you implement all of them. But, please dont forget about us, who flyes in metric airspace. I dont know development process very well, but I hope you can do it. Be informed that in 3 mounth RVSM in Russia will opened! And also in feet.

I believe Russia joined the ICAO organization which sets international aviation standards and that requires using feet and flight levels for altitudes. It has to do with pilots understanding ATC commands. Now RC has a table of transition altitudes where it changes from local altimeter reference to standard pressure reference. This is stated on the Controller page of RC. If you need to change this modify it and the new transition altitude will br recorded for that airport to the data file ready for your next use. On the other hand, comm frequency changes are not saved for the next use. Are your model altimeters in feet, meters, or both?

ronzieThere are a lot of models with altimeters in feet and meters for FS2004. In real life we use altimeters in feet (because 80% of traffic over Russia are Airbus and Boeing), but maintaining flight levels and hight in meters. I really hope that RVSM wiil be opened, but you know, it is just up to transition level/transition hight, below it I guess will be meters and QFE. So, will see :)