Sign in to follow this  
aaronrash

The most challenging approach

Try a visual on LPMA....Aerosoft has a great scenery and it´s a very challenging approach. Pilots also need special training to land there. Maybe the standard scenery captures some of this, if you don´t own the addon scenery.
Yep, that takes skill to do properly especially with some real weather thrown in. The Aerosoft scenery is one of their best packages, and I would say essential in this case.

Guest Turboblower
That's correct. Orbx NZ South then Queenstown airport later this year.
Looking forward to that one Eddy

Try Paro Intl in Buthan. It's usualy Bae 146 and A319 that fly there. Boeing tested there 737 BBJ there, you can find the procedure on web.

Two suggestions: 1. Try all of the above approaches with one engine operative.2. Lukla (VNLK) - Come on, nothing is impossible. Trevor Moore

That's very sad. I'm addicted to aircrash investigation TV series. I recently flew on a JetBlue A320 to NYC on business and was terrified by the fly by wire technology and the fact that it's all computers. My computer crashes all the time! They have a TV in every seat that displays your altitude and the pilot said we were going to 37,000ft and the altitude readout in my seat was 41,000ft so here I was thinking the elevator was jammed. As far as the 732 crash... Those are very old aircraft and I can't believe they are still in service, hmm...
I don't worry so much about the computers as I do the folks with their hands on the controls. All FBW aircraft still have manual reversion if the computer "crashes" or fails due to the info going into the system becoming invalid and the pilots should be trained on these stiuations. The problem comes in when the computer goes crazy and the people flying don't know how to respond due to lack of training/understanding, etc... And those old 732's are going to fly perfectly fine as long as the maintenance is up to par. Sorry...off topic but I had to comment on this. Adam

All FBW aircraft still have manual reversion if the computer "crashes" or fails due to the info going into the system becoming invalid and the pilots should be trained on these stiuations. Adam
Don't worry, we are... wink.png

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Don`t laugh. I live 20 miles from EGGP Liverpool in one direction and 20 miles from EGGC Manchester in the opposite direction. EGNR Hawarden isn`t so far from Liverpool either. As you do I often fly to/from all of these and especially in a light plane I also do EGCB Barton airfield near Manchester. Passing by in the 737 my mind often starts cogitating on landing the 737 NGX on this grass airfield with a tight wire fence surrounding it, main road and motorway outside. Just for a laugh you understand, a time or two I`ve gone through the fence in a light plane but just the same it still wanders across my mind and raises a chuckle..... Steve

Just for a laugh you understand, a time or two I`ve gone through the fence in a light plane but just the same it still wanders across my mind and raises a chuckle..... Steve
Um. Do you still have your pilot's license? Trevor

Try the approach to rwy02 at SBRJ....Rio's old Santos Dumont....in real life, B738s and A320s perform this daily...do a search on you tube, there is a video showing the chart and the procedure. Will Reynolds
Yes, try this! This Rw have only 4.340 feet!!!!!Shocked.gif

Try the approach to rwy02 at SBRJ....Rio's old Santos Dumont....in real life, B738s and A320s perform this daily...do a search on you tube, there is a video showing the chart and the procedure. Will Reynolds
Yes, try this! This Rw have only 4.340 feet!!!!!Shocked.gif
+1 to that.The runway 02R/L is a great approach and almost looks like your going to land on an aircraft carrier.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Got to laugh. The airfield is well known as a bad one to land at. Theirs no clear landmarks as such then a relatively short grass RW ending in long grass and the fence. Made even worse after rain as it holds water and doesn`t drain. Allan Sugars plane landed there, I think it was a divert, and his plane had to stay for 2 days because it overran the runway and some damage was done to the prop in the long grass.

The Rio de Janeiro approach truly is a test of your skills. All SOPs from the airlines that currently service that airport allow only for the captains to be PF. And they go through extensive training to do that. the Gol 738s that operate SBRJ all have the SFP package, yet the rwy is so short that bleeds off takeoffs at flaps 15 are pretty much the rule there. I´ve flown the RWY 02 visual circuit a number of times in an SR20 and my sportplane. I used to think there was plenty of room. One day my old flight instructor who now is an FO for Gol airlines hooked me up with a jumpseat flight from São Paulo to Rio and we were cleared for the visual rwy 02 approach. I was baffled by how fast things happened and how little maneuvering room was left. Whoever said that it is akin to landing in a carrier earlier in this thread knows what he´s talking about. And you better nail the 1st third of the rwy because you have no hook. And if you did have a hook, you have no burners to push through a bolter! Anyway, the first time Boeing test pilots flew down to Rio to certify the classic 737s to operate in the airport they executed inumerous missed approaches before nailing it and writing their recommendations. If you´re looking to tackle the approach, energy management is of extreme importance. I actually have Gol´s SOP here with their procedures for the visual circling approach to rwy 2R and 20L. I can tell you how they do it, just PM me Also, there´s a payware scenery available for the airport from Tropical Sim. No Orbx, I´ll give you that, but enough to make it fun. The city´s scenery as freeware can also be found. Run a search for Mega Rio FSX. Happy landings.