Sign in to follow this  
OPS1

737 Flaring height:

Hi there, Im used to flying 757's on fs9 QW and CS, and i normally reuce to idle at around 10-30ft when flaring. This normally makes a good touchdown on the 75 as its easy to land with the double rear bogies unlike the 737. I've recently switched to the NG 738, Ifly's model, which is superb for Fs9 (Wished the NGX 737 was avalible for fs9) I flare and reduce power at 10-30ft but on the 737 the flare seems to take a while before the wheels touch down, or even in some cases i gain alttitude. Whats a good flaring height for the throttle back in a 737? Cheers, Tom

It sounds as if you are flaring too quickly and over-rotating. 30ft. should be OK but you use only the amount of elevator to slow the rate of descent as required. It will vary with weight and weather, as to just how quickly you reduce power. You don't want to float to make it a greaser, you aim for the 1000ft point and touchdown as near to it as possible. Colin B

I flare the plane at the same time as my nostrils. In all honesty FS is terrible at simulating ground effects.

Sheesh, flaring is overrated.
You must be Navy trained! LOL In my experience, flaring while the wheels are ABOVE the runway is recommended. LOL.gif
Hi there, Im used to flying 757's on fs9 QW and CS, and i normally reuce to idle at around 10-30ft when flaring. This normally makes a good touchdown on the 75 as its easy to land with the double rear bogies unlike the 737. I've recently switched to the NG 738, Ifly's model, which is superb for Fs9 (Wished the NGX 737 was avalible for fs9) I flare and reduce power at 10-30ft but on the 737 the flare seems to take a while before the wheels touch down, or even in some cases i gain alttitude. Whats a good flaring height for the throttle back in a 737? Cheers, Tom
Hi TomYou definitely wouldn't want to start to flare any higher than 30 ft but you may have excessive air speed which would make you float or balloon upwards, as well as perhaps over rotating. I think if you just keep practicing, you'll get it right. But just remember, there are some real world pilots who don't get it right every time. Did I say "some?" LOL

for a 737 when you are dead on glide slope and the airspeed is around 140 kts, depending on landing weight,the nose is high enough that you only have to ease back on the throttles between ten and 30 feet and let the mains touch down. You can hold the nose up if you want to but you also can let the nose drop on its own til the nose wheel touches and then apply spoilers, reversers and brakes. It takes practice but it works for me. Make sure your plane is below the "maximum landing weight" figure on approach.

I've watched lots of 737 videos (most are landings) and it seems pilots have different ways flare the plane,well, seems that way.At 50ft pilots idle throttle. At around 20-30ft, they flare the plane, bring the nose up slowly slowly until the aircraft touchs down. Another way they flare later at around 10-20ft(some videos pilots flare after 10ft callout,d**n that's close),bring the nose up faster to a certain angle and the plane touchs down very soft.IMO the second way seems more difficult. I don't really sure how they do it in the real life but this is what I've learned through videos./Aircrafts in real life don't gain altitude "that" easy like in FS. Somehow FS is quite sensitive at this situation.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

I've noticed that the best way to flare for any airplane is to reduce the power to idle before flaring. Still, when you reduce it to idle sometimes the flare will ruin your approach if even off or too much. Maybe like 5 degrees.

At 50ft pilots idle throttle. At around 20-30ft, they flare the plane, bring the nose up slowly slowly until the aircraft touchs down.
It depends on the type of aircraft.When I landed a 767 sim for the first time at the SAS Flight Academy in Stockholm, I put throttles idle at 30ft and started to flare..... Wrong LOL.gifThe instructor shouted in the back.. too late. I smashed the 767 on the runway and believe it or not, the remainder of the 4 hour session I had pain in my back.The ground effect in FS9 (don't know about FSX) is way off, too much.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

It depends on the type of aircraft.When I landed a 767 sim for the first time at the SAS Flight Academy in Stockholm, I put throttles idle at 30ft and started to flare..... Wrong LOL.gifThe instructor shouted in the back.. too late. I smashed the 767 on the runway and believe it or not, the remainder of the 4 hour session I had pain in my back.The ground effect in FS9 (don't know about FSX) is way off, too much.
Wow..that sim is sooo real :(

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5