Sign in to follow this  
drewsaw2

Worried about my PSU

Hey guys I've been reading over some of the overclocking sites out there so I can finally get going on that, as it is one of the few things I haven't really tried yet aside from the boost I did with EasyTune with little success. One thing they all make very clear is to have a good quality PSU, because a poor quality PSU has the potential to fail other hardware if it itself can't stand up to the OC. When I bought the parts for my computer, I just bought the cheapest PSU I could find that had the highest wattage. In my case, 750W's. I ignored all bad feedback on the product because I thought they all served one purpose anyway: to turn on the computer and keep it on. This is potentially where my inexperience got in the way. I just figured the more wattage, the better the unit, and the more power for my awesome kick-&@($* super system. I didn't take quality or reliability into consideration because of my budget.Every couple of days my computer will just shut off for no apparent reason with no warning whatsoever, and the power cord is easily detachable from the PSU because its a bad fit or something. Shifting my tower a little bit can even jar it loose. I guess the only way to know for sure is to give it a boost at see how it handles. But I'm not sure overclocking will help my performance anyway if an OC is only good for increasing fps. I'm currently locked at 30 and getting 30fps consistently with plenty of stuttering with default autogen at all settings.But anyway, what have you guys learned about PSU's in your own experience? I'd like to know Cheers

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

What brand is it?

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

What PSU is it exactly?what's the amperage in the 12v rail or rails?

Raidmax Hybrid 2 RX-730SS Here's a link. I bought it from a different webiste but I'm certain its this one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152036

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Well, it's a 550W PSU at bestIt should be enough for your setup in terms of power, but the build quality and efficency are not great apparently

Be careful with internet hyperbole, if not a few will say bad things about a PSU. This will get inside your head causing you to question your decisions. Next thing you will blame the rainfall on your bad decision, lose sleep and ultimately spend more money on a better PSU. I sincerely doubt that there is too terribly much wrong with that PSU. There are several things that can cause an unexpected shutdown and while the PSU is one of them, it would nearly be my last suspect. You can calculate your power requirements using a program like this: http://extreme.outer...n.com/PSUEngine I did this for your setup and found that even a 500w PSU is ample. Your shutdowns could be symptomatic of a bad OS install or a need to update the bios. Your stuttering issue may be related as well including an FSX install issue. If I was the least bit unsure I would be reinstalling everything per this prior to OCing. http://www.simforums...187.html#198187 If shutdowns persisted following I would strongly consider a bios update. If still persisted I would be eyeballing that PSU pretty closely assuming no known issues with my Motherboard following a thorough internet search. Assuming my CPU temps were ok and that my CPU was properly mounted and cooled.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Be careful with internet hyperbole, if not a few will say bad things about a PSU. This will get inside your head causing you to question your decisions. Next thing you will blame the rainfall on your bad decision, lose sleep and ultimately spend more money on a better PSU. I sincerely doubt that there is too terribly much wrong with that PSU. There are several things that can cause an unexpected shutdown and while the PSU is one of them, it would nearly be my last suspect. You can calculate your power requirements using a program like this: http://extreme.outer...n.com/PSUEngine I did this for your setup and found that even a 500w PSU is ample. Your shutdowns could be symptomatic of a bad OS install or a need to update the bios. Your stuttering issue may be related as well including an FSX install issue. If I was the least bit unsure I would be reinstalling everything per this prior to OCing. http://www.simforums...187.html#198187 If shutdowns persisted following I would strongly consider a bios update. If still persisted I would be eyeballing that PSU pretty closely assuming no known issues with my Motherboard following a thorough internet search. Assuming my CPU temps were ok and that my CPU was properly mounted and cooled.
Yeah Gary, but those Raidmax PSU's in particular are often regarded as pure crap. So much negative feedback all over the internet. I don't know. A proven quality 500W PSU goes for $60 - $70I wouldn't risk my new top of the line SB gear with a PSU like that, even if it's not the source of the problem right now

Thanks for the good advice Gary, notably the part about losing sleep and spending more money. I've got my finger on that trigger already.I have installed my fsx 4 times using those instructions very carefully. I also had a professional look over my system and re-install the OS the second time just to make sure I didn't do it the wrong way. I brought up the pSU because I'm getting down to looking at hardware as the prime suspect.I don't play video games, but I suppose if I did it might help in determining if it is indeed an FSX issue

Yeah Gary, but those Raidmax PSU's in particular are often regarded as pure crap. So much negative feedback all over the internet. I don't know. A proven quality 500W PSU goes for $60 - $70I wouldn't risk my new top of the line SB gear with a PSU like that, even if it's not the source of the problem right now
I agree Dario, not what I would buy either but Drew already bought it. Just saying I wouldn't jump to the PSU straight away based on what a few guys say on the net. Trying to inspire and give hope to.Hypnotized.gif

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

From what I gather, aside from the obvious smoke or complete system failure, you won't be able to tell if the PSU isn't doing its job properly. Am I right?I'd like to know though. I get stutters. I have tried many different installations, using nicks instructions and without using nicks instructions. I have tried many different drivers. I have tried tweaks, and I've tried without tweaks. Stutters are always the same. Big stutters every 1 - 2 seconds. My frame rates are fine, but seem as though I'm only getting 10. The fact that the stutters are always the same with different installs and settings, makes me wonder if its somehow related to hardware. But maybe a poor PSU isn't enough to cause this.Sorry to keep ranting about my stutters, but this is the place to do it I guess

The 12v rails are a little weak in all honesty... Your PSU has two 12v rails, supplying 24A. However you can't just add them and say you have 48A total. The equation is max combined power (watts) divided by 12 (volts) - and lol...something's not right with this PSU. 714w/12v = 59.5 A - it's almost like your PSU has a third rail somewhere but not really. The PSU is the backbone of the entire operation - you want a sturdy one. I'd try to exchange it for a Seasonic x750w or Corsair TX v2 or AX similar rating... I'd be surprised if it didn't cure the stutter issues...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Actually, this one is pretty nice decent for the price on sale: http://www.newegg.co...ht-_-17-371-044 I've found OCZ brand to be great for the price. They're dependable, quiet, and not junky: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341018 That's the one I have. On sale... Modular too. EDIT: Yes, Seasonics and Corsairs are great. Seasonic is overpriced for me. But for the price, that 700W is a bargain.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Something I picked up from a post I saw over at overclockers.net: "There's a saying around here:""If it's a Raidmax, it's a no-no" This site has an entire forum on PSU's and they don't mince words when it come to this company.

Just for the hell of it, I'd like to test my Power supply. Is there a software for that, or can you only do that externally? Might as well start isolating and do some testing

Just for the hell of it, I'd like to test my Power supply. Is there a software for that, or can you only do that externally? Might as well start isolating and do some testing
I don't think it can be done through software, no. You would need a multimeter and an oscilloscope