Sign in to follow this  
B747tebs

extremly low FPS (very odd problem here)

If you can't overclock due to not being able too fully accessing the BIOS then I'd say there might be some sort of CPU throttling or under-clocking happening. My laptop for work/browsing etc (not FSX) is stock 2.26GHz but if pushed it drops the clock speed to generate less heat as the BIOS sees fit. I can't be sure about the above with your FSX rig unless was in my hands but might be something to conciser and look at, again just speaking from my laptops experience. Also 2.0GHz is low in comparison to what FSX demands on desktop platforms. FSX maxed out on a laptop would IMO be a no go and are not really gaming machines (more like heat boxes) no matter how well advertised or marketed. Also comparing FSX to "other" games is a no no that should not need explaining as other mentioned it hardly uses the GPU. And 16GB of RAM is a waste for most machines unless your doing massive video/pic renders where you would save time not dropping back to the HDD for information and it could be held in the RAM. But I doubt your doing baby Stephen Spielberg productions where you really need that sort of virtual storage.

The recommended settings are for DESKTOP i5/i7 chips.. you have the MOBILE i5/i7.. which is significantly underpowered compared to the desktop version. And it's also at 2.2ghz which is way low for FSX's standard.

I know PMDG have said they can't replicate this, but... Once more last night, I sat on the runway at EGJJ, with nothing else running, no REX for example. I saw frame rate in the low 20's. I hit "Alt", and then reselected the same aircraft variant again [PMDG 800 livery] and low and behold, significant frame rate increase. I also saw a frame rate increase, by hitting "s" and switching to an outside view, and then panning around the aircraft a turn or two. On returning to the VC... frame rate increase. This stuff is weirder than the faster than light neutrino's at CERN! Big Grin.gif

Hello, I have a similar problem and I have not been able to find the cause. I did execute all tweaks recommended by PMDG including Venetubo's

• FPS = 8 to 12 for VC and a bit higher for outside view, even is FS in in pause mode
  • Added temporarily 4 GB of memory: no difference
  • Moved all sliders to the left: no difference
  • Changed the GPU processor and memory speed: no difference
  • I have checked the system with System Internals Process explorer. Results are as follows:
    • CPU use in paused mode 20% in flying mode 30-65%
    • GPU use: 12%
    • Memory: 1.1 GB
    • GPU memory: 482 MB, shared 42 MB, committed 670 MB

So the only thing that runs towards the computer limits is the GPU memory. Can that bet the problem?

Guys, I think you all missing the point here.he stated in his 1st post (and other replies as well), that he tried every possible "low" or even disabled Settings (AI,Traffic,graphics, etc).I also truly believe he disabled all his addons already. lowering his settings or/and disabling addons is not the direction.I have a theory why it is happening to him/you.as you can see in his Screen Shot, his FSX only uses 1 CPU/Core only!when I use FSX, all my 6 Cores are used!! that is where we need to aim with it, make his FSX utilize all cores Question?had you tried adding/changing the "AffinityMask" at your fsx.cfg file?

[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=n

-----------Choice of <n> as follows: For 2-core 4-thread CPU15=1111 = ALL 4 cores14=1110 = last 3 cores (cores read from back to front)7=0111 = first 3 cores3=0011 = first 2 cores1=0001 = first core For 4-core 8-thread CPU255=11111111 = ALL 8 cores254=11111110 = last 7 cores252=11111100 = last 6 cores127=01111111 = first 7 cores63=00111111 = first 6 cores For 6-core 12-thread CPU4095=111111111111 = ALL 12 cores4094=111111111110 = last 11 cores4092=111111111100 = last 10 coresOther core settings could be calculated from corresponding binary numbers to decimal numbers as shown above.---------------

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Hi, I don't think it is the problem in my case: the Sysinternals Process Explorer shows that ale cores are used. The AffinityMask setting is as you recommend in the tables. I found that my FR goes up to 16-20 if I run full screen. That is acceptable for me, although I still would like to understand the root cause of the problem.

BTW , try running FSX in DX10.For me personally I almost double the FPS with DX10 vs. DX9.

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

^Well yeah, but the anti-aliasing gets so bad I can count the pixels around the contour of the plane...Nevertheless, I used all the tweaks discussed in this thread and went from average 17 to about 25 FPS.Not bad, uh?

BTW , try running FSX in DX10.For me personally I almost double the FPS with DX10 vs. DX9.
DX10 is very bad actually.. makes my traffic go white and stuff like that. I will use DX9 for the moment. Btw, that AffinityMask to 255 made my FSX more stable.. its now using all 8 threads of my CPU.

DX10 is very bad actually.. makes my traffic go white and stuff like that. I will use DX9 for the moment. Btw, that AffinityMask to 255 made my FSX more stable.. its now using all 8 threads of my CPU.
So, it's running smoother?What about the FPS?

I think I read somewhere that RAM amount matters hugely to FSX and sometimes too much can basically slow things down. You have 16Gb installed...maybe try removing some RAM (if you have mire than one stick installed) so that you only have ~4Gb.Cheers,Ian.
Your name scares me! Anyway, 4gb is not enough, i've heard (from nickN so it should be a warranty) that 8 gb is the ''perfect'' ram

Your name scares me! Anyway, 4gb is not enough, i've heard (from nickN so it should be a warranty) that 8 gb is the ''perfect'' ram
The last post before yours is from October of last year. And 4GB, though not my standard, is fine for FSX. Nick N is good for getting newbies started, but he is by no means the end all be all FSX expert. Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules