Sign in to follow this  
BreezyPointDeparture

What Cost Index do you input?

Ryan Air uses a cost index of 30 which seems reasonable to me however I can not use it without having some issues. Like for example if you use a cost index of 30 it will descend at 273 knots using VNAV. But what if you have the normal speed and altitude restriction that is common such as 280/17000 for example. It will not meet the 280 target because your speed is restricted to 273 knots. So what I use is cost index 36 which gives me an even 280 knot descent which means I can meet those altitude restrictions dead on. Also helps to set your speed restrictions to 250/10000 so you do not get that error when it has a 250/7000 restriction for example. By default I think it sets to 240/10000 100 to 150 might seem to work okay at cruise cause the max the NGX is gonna fly is around .80 to .81 no matter what value you use in the 100 range. However on descent with a cost index of 100 or more its going to descend at the max 330 knots using VNAV. Good luck slowing down when you need to. I think 280 is more reasonable. The 747-400 descends at 285 and the MD-11 at 290.

Norwegian: Standard 15 for NG as stated before in this tread, but more specific:Routes to LGW, SXF, VIE, ORY, DUS - operate at cost index 40.Return flights, use standard cost index.Routes to and from HRG - operate at cost index 200.If risking to delay the next flight operated by the same equipment - operate at cost index 80.

Ryan Air uses a cost index of 30 which seems reasonable to me however I can not use it without having some issues. Like for example if you use a cost index of 30 it will descend at 273 knots using VNAV. But what if you have the normal speed and altitude restriction that is common such as 280/17000 for example. It will not meet the 280 target because your speed is restricted to 273 knots. So what I use is cost index 36 which gives me an even 280 knot descent which means I can meet those altitude restrictions dead on. Also helps to set your speed restrictions to 250/10000 so you do not get that error when it has a 250/7000 restriction for example. By default I think it sets to 240/10000 100 to 150 might seem to work okay at cruise cause the max the NGX is gonna fly is around .80 to .81 no matter what value you use in the 100 range. However on descent with a cost index of 100 or more its going to descend at the max 330 knots using VNAV. Good luck slowing down when you need to. I think 280 is more reasonable. The 747-400 descends at 285 and the MD-11 at 290.
That 36 sounds good to me Paul.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Hi All I've seen that cost index list on another forum as well. There was some updates to it on that forum that changed the cost index used, from supposed reliable sources. The one example I can recall was that SWA uses a cost index of 20 now instead of the higher one above. I've also heard that WJA is using between 15 and 20 now. One thing I did come across was a print out of a real Westjet flightplan which detailed the use of a cost index of 19, BUT to manually enter 280kts for climb and 270kts for decent. I'm not an airline pilot, but for me everyting points to entering the cost index the airline is using and, MANUALLY change the climb/decent speeds if you are required to meet a crossing restriction. So if my cost index gives me a decent speed of 270, and I'm flying the SADDE6 into LAX, I'll enter 280 for decent speed to meet the 280kts/12000ft SYMON restriction but retain the original cost index. Thats how I do it anyway and I think thats probably how it's done in the real world as well. Just my thoughts, thanx. Barry Cunningham

According to a skipper on SAS they currently use CI 6 on their B738. They have been flying with CI 10 or below for a while now. Unless if you are behind schedule, then you of course use a higher CI to make up lost time. But it also varies with the fuel price a few steps up or down.

100: It's a good average value which is not too far off what most airlines use
Well someone's been out of the industry for a long while. Try 8-15 on for size.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

8 ? Do you land with fuel steam ? wink.png
You think 8 is bad, that's only short haul, on long haul we're currently on anything between 2 and 7sad.pngOh and AFAIK, Ryr is currently using 15 as their standard CI.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg