Sign in to follow this  
mmann

Another Microsoft Flight forum closure

Aerosoft had no such Flight forum. What Mathijs hid was a 2 page thread started by me on the 19th of September 2011.
My bad, I stand corrected about a Flight thread in Aerosoft's forum....Flight was discussed a lot (before Sept.2011) without a special thread.....

My take on all this?. People waiting around for new Sims and addons are like teenagers at their first dance. Know not what their doing! WHO CARES
luke-skywalker-7.jpgI care. I really hope that Microsoft Flight will indeed be released. I was reading something on the official website about how they are going to improve the fog and clouds as they interact with mountains. This is the change I am most excited for.

What is all the secrecy about Microsoft?? I mean is there another player we don't know about? I don't think so, and I'm sure that the boys at MSoft Know the same. As a previous writer stated why have you got us so underwhelmed with the up comming release of flight. Tell us all, as we need to understand what is going to happen. There is no doubt that developers have closed thier links on forums because Flight was preventing clients from purchasing upgrades and so on. Everytime this happens it always reminds me of the past, ie MSoft haven't changed a bit. still exclusive and not inclusive, the one thing the community needs.

Go tell it on the mountain: msflight@microsoft.com

Mike Beckwith

this forum should be locked also, too much nonsense said here from both the sides. I understand why commercial members are so upset about a upcoming flight release, pissing on flight only because they are not involved and know nothing about it. They just try to move people to Prepare3D or Xplane so they can still sell their addons, this is not nice but money are money... So, for this reason I don't believe a word of what commercial members say about it. This is only my opinion, and this is a free forum so I believe I can say mine as other say their. regards

this forum should be locked also, too much nonsense said here from both the sides.
and this is a free forum so I believe I can say mine as other say their.
Not if it's locked biggrin.pngI don't understand, what's the problem.. if MS doesn't give any new or relevant info than people are going to speculate. So what? If anything we are doing MS a favor by talking about their product... free marketing for them. And I still don't understand why is speculating bad and what would be the reason for locking this forum? If forums would be locked down just for talking nonsense... what would stay open?

Hi all. At FSDeveloper, I lobbied quite a bit to start the Flight subforum. My thinking was that some intelligent speculation was not a bad thing. And I hoped to start a conduit between developers and Microsoft so that some communication could be delivered to the Flight design team as to what developers would like to see in the next simulator. There were some developer problems FSX introduced ( or continued ), that I thought might be avoided in Flight. I thought it would not be too late to influence the Flight design team towards a more robust simulator... allowing conditional display of objects, per folder config files, etc... But the reality was the subforum simply became a soapbox to initiate any and all anti-Microsoft rants. The speculation became foolish. The idea of a conduit utterly failed as nearly every thread deviated from developer concerns towards end-user concerns... not the scope of FSDeveloper, a forum devoted to developer issues. We never did receive any indication that legitimate developer concerns were being addressed in Flight. In fact there is a pretty complete stonewalling of the existing developer community from the design process of Flight. No conspiracies... just Microsoft doing it's own thing, without regard to anybody making an addon. In fact, the only addon indication we have is that there is going to be some sort of portal for 'official' addons... something like Live! already has for other titles. There is no public beta as of yet, and no developers invited to the party, at any rate. All this combined to FSDeveloper closing the subforum. If there ever is a legitimate reason for having a Flight subforum re-opened at FSDeveloper, I would lobby for it again. Dick

I suspect that Microsoft's reticence this time round is payback for all the abuse some members of the development team had to endure prior to the release of FSX. I'm sure a lot of us will remember how Phil Taylor suffered from the torrent of conflict waged among the various FS forums at that time. Maybe Microsoft foresaw what it would be like for us to go for weeks with virtually no news of any official sort. Maybe now they're having a little chuckle at our expense. Ha ha!

Mike Beckwith

I suspect that Microsoft's reticence this time round is payback for all the abuse some members of the development team had to endure prior to the release of FSX. I'm sure a lot of us will remember how Phil Taylor suffered from the torrent of conflict waged among the various FS forums at that time. Maybe Microsoft foresaw what it would be like for us to go for weeks with virtually no news of any official sort. Maybe now they're having a little chuckle at our expense. Ha ha!
Yeah... that makes brilliant business sense, dunno why I didn't think of that!

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Let's not forget that it is an individual who captains the business ship, and it is the predilection of individuals to express a little humour when the occasion calls for it. If the PR situation happens to be contentious to begin with, and it is up to an individual to adopt a PR stance, then I'm sure that person could relish a little comic satire.

Mike Beckwith

Microsoft has never been known for any humor and I seriously doubt they'd start now...

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.